Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/17/silicon-valleys-cash-party-is-coming-to-an-end.html

quote:

Based on interviews with about two dozen venture capitalists and tech investors, 2016 is shaping up to be a year of reckoning for scores of technology start-ups that have yet to prove out their business models and equally challenging for those that raised money at unjustifiably high prices.

quote:

"It's been surprising to see how quickly valuation expectations are recalibrating," said Craig Hanson, a partner at Next World Capital in San Francisco. "Rounds will be harder to raise, valuation multiples will be lower and, in many cases, companies will have to demonstrate metrics that back up the big projections they promised before."

quote:

Or, as Todd Chaffee of Institutional Venture Partners describes the environment, "The cheap capital party is over, but there are a few drunk sailors who didn't hear last call."

here's a great example of how crazy things have gotten with a company called Theranos:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos

quote:

Theranos is an American privately-held health-technology and medical-laboratory-services company based in Palo Alto, California.[1] Theranos has claimed to have developed a blood-testing device named Edison that uses a few drops of blood obtained via a finger-stick rather than vials of blood obtained via traditional venipuncture,[2] utilizing microfluidics technology.[3] Its founders have raised over $400 million from investors, valuing the company at $9 billion, without their testing device ever being subject to peer-reviewed study.[4]

On 16 October 2015, The Wall Street Journal, quoting many unnamed current and former employees, revealed that Theranos's flagship Edison testing device might provide very inaccurate results.[5] Theranos attacked the Wall Street Journal, but did not refute any of the allegations.[6] On 28 October 2015, the Food and Drug Administration also revealed major shortcomings in the company's practices and ordered Theranos to stop using its Edison device, which it had neither tested for accuracy nor approved, contrary to the company's previous claims.[7] Theranos was ordered to limit its use of Edison to one of the 200 tests it offers.The Arizona Department of Health Services has found issues in the company's other laboratory.[8]

On 2nd December, The Washington Post revealed the exploration of a partnership with the US military had led to issues being found with the Edison device and a request that the FDA investigate. This request was denied by United States Marine Corps General James Mattis after Holmes's intervention. Mattis later joined the Board of Directors of Theranos.[9]

Theranos has also claimed to have partnerships with GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer, which both GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer have denied.[10] The company also claimed successful venture capital firm Draper Fisher Jurveston had invested in them, but company principal Steve Jurvetson clarified that it had provided the company's first $500,000 seed investment and nothing more.[11]

After the revelations of October 2015, Theranos's partner Walgreens suspended their plans to rollout Theranos's testing services in their stores,[12] and it was revealed that Safeway had already cancelled a $350 million agreement to use Theranos's testing technology amid doubts about its accuracy.[13] The Cleveland Clinic hospital, recently announced as a Theranos partner, distanced itself from Theranos's technology and denied they had verified its accuracy.[14] Customers have reported writing to Theranos querying inaccurate results, receiving no response.[15]

On 27 October 2015, Theranos claimed to have data verifying the accuracy of its Edison testing device and announced it would publish it.[16] As of 27 November 2015, it has not done so.

also the guy who wrote a puff piece on them is now recanting his story:

https://beta.finance.yahoo.com/news/author-fortunes-theranos-cover-story-171100486.html

quote:

Back when the Silicon Valley-based startup, known for its blood tests that allegedly only used a finger-prick's worth of blood, was still largely keeping quiet about how its technology worked, Parloff reported that the 200 tests the company offered could run "without the need for a syringe."

On Thursday in a new story for Fortune, Parloff called that a "whopping false statement."

combined with the interest rate hike and it looks like 2016 might be the economic collapse we've all been waiting for. or at the the very least you are about to get a heck of a deal on aeron chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Good, I want to see all the bearded hipster millennials cry.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Will Twitter die? This is important.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

Good, I want to see all the bearded hipster millennials cry.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
#techbub #bigpop #twitplosion #stabbedthroughtheheartbyaunicorn

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
burn it all

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

natetimm posted:

probably. they already dont make any money and had to lay off 8 percent of the staff this year.

and how learned they were fired:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

Good, I want to see the state of california cry and break out in riots

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Bah, humbug. Come be inspired

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bart! no!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Good. I hate Silicon Valley and everything it stands for.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

this has nothing to do with football

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
SF rents dropped an avg of $3,600 to $3,450 for a studio last month lol. bubble is over guys come on back to SF!

natetimm posted:

maybe, maybe not if they lay off most of their workforce. really the whole platform could be run by a team of like... < 200 easily now (compared to 4,300 that they currently have), but all these lovely startups and bullshit are GOTTA GROW BIGGGG so they waste fuckton of money overexpanding, overhiring, while never having an actual revenue source that can support that so then they implode, or they pray they get gobbled up, or cash out on IPO (this is getting more rarer)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vince McMahon will buy twitter because his business relies on it

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
b-b-but where will I go on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons in my pajamas if there are no more hipster breakfast cereal bars?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Vince McMahon will buy twitter because his business relies on it

Huh...

That's not a bad idea.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this reminds me to buy more apple stock. apple can only go up Up UP!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ghlbtsk posted:

hipster breakfast cereal bars?

Is this a real thing?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ghlbtsk posted:

b-b-but where will I go on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons in my pajamas if there are no more hipster breakfast cereal bars?

You can do this in the comfort of your own home

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Wafflz posted:

Is this a real thing?

what do you think

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
lol, just lol

edit: these 'fruity pebbles' won't be so 'cheerio' when the bottom falls out of the market for their 'trix'

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 17, 2015

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Xaris posted:

what do you think

Where is ISIS when you really need them?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Xaris posted:

what do you think

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY"RE GAY!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Wafflz posted:

Where is ISIS when you really need them?

Looks like they turned deep sleeper cell and started a cereal breakfast joint.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xaris posted:

what do you think

wasn't there a thread a couple of months ago where their store got vandalized?

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I thought the cereal bar was in London, not SF

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i love that podcast, btw - have you heard about this murderer guy, bowe somebody?

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY"RE GAY!

Engagement ring was a froot loop

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

symbolic posted:

wasn't there a thread a couple of months ago where their store got vandalized?

yes, and to be fair its in london and not silicon valley tho im surprised we don't have one near here because it'd fit perfect with the regressive infantilistic bullshit, like crappy $8 grilled cheese fast-food sandwich startups "just like mom used to make" type poo poo, that retarded techies love to gobble down as they accelerate towards their imminent death undergoing early on-set midlife crisises after "working" overtime every day.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Good I hope all the newly unemployed libertarian nerds starve to death on the streets of San Francisco

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
donald trump will illegalize the internet and thus san fransisco by proxy

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You can do this in the comfort of your own home

but then how will I hit on those hipster gurlz

pajamas are very sexy, don't knock this concept until we verify whether these places are full of women in pajamas imo

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Roy posted:

donald trump will illegalize the internet and thus san fransisco by proxy

Internet still exists but only Fox News, the drudge report, and ESPN are accessible

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

huh, maybe i should actually start working on that app i raised all that capital for

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

what do you think

cuminmybeard.com

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
can't wait to watch san francisco burn

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wow I remember reading stories about Theranos, in particular lauding their genius FEMALE founder who's worth billions. I work for a company (not for much longer!) that will be producing similar products as Theranos, it's quite interesting to do a search on them and see that an FDA audit found 14 observations and gave them two separate 483s which is a BIG slap in the face. But I don't know if this converts into the tech bubble itself struggling. This is proper science, which is difficult and requires hard work, not making an app about the latest fad and managing your microtransactions and picking how many hammocks to put into your worker nap rooms.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*live video feed of mark zuckerberg bolting wildly out of a cruelty-free coffee shop with four briefcases bulging with dollar bills as he is chased by road warrior mutants screeching his name*

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

what do you think

Didn't their store get trashed in a riot because everyone who lives there hates them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

does anyone know how to make apps

• Locked thread