Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Star Citizen is so hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

does anyone know how to make apps

You go to trader joes and put whatever is in the box you bought in the oven for 15-25 minutes.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*the creator of soylent is perched high on a stack of crates containing his own product, casting bags of it to outstretched hands belonging to the gutter filth that were trapped in san fran when the gov't contained the city. giant fires burn behind him. he wears a shaker cup as a crown*

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cram me sideways posted:

can't wait to watch san francisco burn

SF won't burn, its been a major workhorse in industry from financial (many of the large banks are HQ'd here), law firms, very large engineering consulting, import/export hub, and long list of other big sources of money and industry long before stupid tech bubble poo poo took off and these are still here. at the very worst, that will burn is overpriced lovely $4k/mo lovely studios in "The Mish'", and by that I don't mean burn I mean go back down to $1.5k month that they're worth at most.

actual southbay could be a little hosed more since it used to be mostly suburbs for poor people back in the 70s and stuff with no industrywhich is it's natural state, but it'll be fine since apple/google/et. all are all actually making money

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*a crazed Lyft employee retrofits a school bus with giant spikes, barb wire, steel plates and a giant pink moustache. he mows down stragglers in the streets, screaming NO GODS, NO MASTERS*

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
If there's one thing I know about periods of rapid expansion it's that they never end

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Cantaloupe posted:

If there's one thing I know about periods of rapid expansion it's that they never end

please don't post about my boner on the internet

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*on a distant rooftop, a helicopter waits spinning. marissa mayer bursts from a stairwell and stumbles into it, chased by slobbering zombies. the copter clumsily takes off, towing a huge metal container from which money spills. it can't gain altitude. something must be jettisoned. soon, tumblr is seen falling to its death, and marissa beelines into the pacific, her destination unknown*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can someone explain to me how the breakfast cereal bar was a tech company

I'm just curious what the relevance is beyond "it is a hipster thing I don't like"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

Can someone explain to me how the breakfast cereal bar was a tech company

I'm just curious what the relevance is beyond "it is a hipster thing I don't like"

Nanomachines, I think

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So will this spell the end of those cardboard boxes full of food to make one dinner because nerds are scared of the grocery store?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Star Citizen is so hosed

Given that from what ex CIG members have said, Chris roberts literally fires anyone who disagrees with him, so all the good coders who disagree with chris's bullshit ideas and impossible scope get fired, so they're left with a bunch of spineless yes-men who can't code but at the same time brown-nose like bitches so they don't get fired.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Squalitude posted:

Wow I remember reading stories about Theranos, in particular lauding their genius FEMALE founder who's worth billions. I work for a company (not for much longer!) that will be producing similar products as Theranos, it's quite interesting to do a search on them and see that an FDA audit found 14 observations and gave them two separate 483s which is a BIG slap in the face. But I don't know if this converts into the tech bubble itself struggling. This is proper science, which is difficult and requires hard work, not making an app about the latest fad and managing your microtransactions and picking how many hammocks to put into your worker nap rooms.

I think the same logic applies though. Lots of companies make claims on their product's ability to change the market that either aren't true or exploit a legal loophole (on-demand workforce like Uber) leading to their overvaluation in the short term. Theranos has made claims that it's devices can accurately and reproducibly test blood samples in amounts much less than a traditional blood draw; but has not been able to back these claims up. They've been around for 12 years and have received hundreds of millions of dollars of venture capital without having a product that can actually do what it claims. It's time for them to put up or shut up and publish some data comparing their accuracy to traditional methods.

The show Silicon Valley is more of a documentary than a comedy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Drone_Fragger posted:

Given that from what ex CIG members have said, Chris roberts literally fires anyone who disagrees with him, so all the good coders who disagree with chris's bullshit ideas and impossible scope get fired, so they're left with a bunch of spineless yes-men who can't code but at the same time brown-nose like bitches so they don't get fired.

Also the tech bubble is gonna pop and they have lots of tech so that can't be good

stump collector
May 28, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY"RE GAY!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seriously, this thread is a fascinating study into how a lot of people apparently use the word "tech" as a placeholder for "everything about modern culture I don't like"

Thank God that tech bubble is gonna burst, maybe now <the cops will stop killing black people>/<'genderfluid' will stop being a thing people take seriously>/<people will stop posting Star Wars spoilerz>/<Donald Trump will end his presidential run>/<Lena Dunham will stop being famous>/<Game Of Thrones will be good again>/<nobody will wear moustaches ever again>/<my parents will get back together>

realistically though if this does happen we'll just get hit with a big wave of general unemployment like when every other bubble bursts, but at least <Bad Thing X> will go away for some reason, hooray :toot:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the dot com bubble bursting. So many dead people with ponytails.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Xaris posted:

SF won't burn, its been a major workhorse in industry from financial (many of the large banks are HQ'd here), law firms, very large engineering consulting, import/export hub, and long list of other big sources of money and industry long before stupid tech bubble poo poo took off and these are still here. at the very worst, that will burn is overpriced lovely $4k/mo lovely studios in "The Mish'", and by that I don't mean burn I mean go back down to $1.5k month that they're worth at most.

actual southbay could be a little hosed more since it used to be mostly suburbs for poor people back in the 70s and stuff with no industrywhich is it's natural state, but it'll be fine since apple/google/et. all are all actually making money

Thank goodness you were here to let us know an entire US city won't actually burn to the ground when the tech bubble bursts again, I was really worried when he posted that

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

so we're talking a george lucas-esque episode one typ deal then

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Seriously, this thread is a fascinating study into how a lot of people apparently use the word "tech" as a placeholder for "everything about modern culture I don't like"

Thank God that tech bubble is gonna burst, maybe now <the cops will stop killing black people>/<'genderfluid' will stop being a thing people take seriously>/<people will stop posting Star Wars spoilerz>/<Donald Trump will end his presidential run>/<Lena Dunham will stop being famous>/<Game Of Thrones will be good again>/<nobody will wear moustaches ever again>/<my parents will get back together>

realistically though if this does happen we'll just get hit with a big wave of general unemployment like when every other bubble bursts, but at least <Bad Thing X> will go away for some reason, hooray :toot:

can't you just let us mock tech hipster douches in SF in peace?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I use absolutely no technology. Zero. So I'll be safe

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the bursting of the tech bubble will launch me upwards into the stars where chris roberts will wear me in a papoose on his back

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Aralan posted:

Thank goodness you were here to let us know an entire US city won't actually burn to the ground when the tech bubble bursts again, I was really worried when he posted that

Im actually still hoping it does, though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

gently caress the ROW posted:

Im actually still hoping it does, though

Same. NorCal is the worst Cal and that's even taking EastCal in to account

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

can't you just let us mock tech hipster douches in SF in peace?

maybe that's it, I don't live in SF so I don't 'get it'

but heads up hipster douches are still gonna be around and if some of them are unemployed now they're just gonna be even more insufferable than before :colbert:

Zzulu posted:

I use absolutely no technology. Zero. So I'll be safe

the natural question: how u postin

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Same

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

your death is certain
kill yourself
kill your family

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's actually a hole in his stomach, and that's a funnel. Just shoot soylent at it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

loquacius posted:

very carefully

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

but heads up hipster douches are still gonna be around and if some of them are unemployed now they're just gonna be even more insufferable than before :colbert:

I'm just here for the Star Citizen jokes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
all the big VCs (Andreesen, Musk, etc.) are prepared for this and will come back for round 3

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

VendaGoat posted:

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY"RE GAY!

People if you're gonna use gay as a pejorative at least do it as well as this.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
"On 2nd December, The Washington Post revealed the exploration of a partnership with the US military had led to issues being found with the Edison device and a request that the FDA investigate. This request was denied by United States Marine Corps General James Mattis after Holmes's intervention. Mattis later joined the Board of Directors of Theranos.[9]"

I don't understand how stuff like this is legal. You saw it with the 07 crisis too, government officials would use their powers in favor of private corps and then immediately retire into cushy middle management positions and it's just so transparent I can't wrap my head around there being no laws against it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

they're insufferable either way, but now they won't be making millions for it anymore maybe

I mean who designs a bicycle that removes the one thing that makes the bicycle the efficient machine it is and does this instead:

these people got millions of dollars

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Investors are just stingier with their money, meaning developers won't be able to get money to create social media apps that are just worse versions of other social media apps.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Xaris posted:

what do you think

imagine the sort of person who walks into a place like this unironically

lol

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

what do you think

that's so wacky and fresh!! i LOVE it!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

they're insufferable either way, but now they won't be making millions for it anymore maybe

I mean who designs a bicycle that removes the one thing that makes the bicycle the efficient machine it is and does this instead:

This isn't tech either, this is a weird bike

what the hell guys v:mad:v

e: Soylent isn't tech either, the guy who invented it was a software engineer before but it is not a tech company

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

This isn't tech either, this is a weird bike

what the hell guys v:mad:v

You know tech is short for technology which basically includes everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I don't get it

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oODAaPGk7uY

So is this literally for people who want to cosplay Superman on a bicycle

• Locked thread