Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I hope those tech startup geeks die on the streets, personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

loquacius posted:

Seriously, this thread is a fascinating study into how a lot of people apparently use the word "tech" as a placeholder for "everything about modern culture I don't like"

Thank God that tech bubble is gonna burst, maybe now <the cops will stop killing black people>/<'genderfluid' will stop being a thing people take seriously>/<people will stop posting Star Wars spoilerz>/<Donald Trump will end his presidential run>/<Lena Dunham will stop being famous>/<Game Of Thrones will be good again>/<nobody will wear moustaches ever again>/<my parents will get back together>

realistically though if this does happen we'll just get hit with a big wave of general unemployment like when every other bubble bursts, but at least <Bad Thing X> will go away for some reason, hooray :toot:

Fun won't die either.

Just saying don't get your hopes up.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

This isn't tech either, this is a weird bike

what the hell guys v:mad:v

yeah and Soylent is just weird food and not tech either.

what the hell!

e: lmao i just say your edit, you are dumb if you can't see the inextricable link between the two even if you get semantical about Merriam-Webster's Dictionary codified book of words.

naem
May 29, 2011

I wonder how many 26-33 year olds who are used to earning $120k plus and have never had a workplace that didn't involve hammocks are about to be forced to relocate and take a major pay cut, after a painful divorce

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You know tech is short for technology which basically includes everything?

Oh, so the everything bubble is about to pop. Thank god, I loving hate everything hipsters and now maybe those people will instantly vanish

e:

Xaris posted:

yeah and Soylent is just weird food and not tech either.

what the hell!

I actually edited this exact thing into that post, I guess what I'm saying is "this but unironically"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

they're insufferable either way, but now they won't be making millions for it anymore maybe

I mean who designs a bicycle that removes the one thing that makes the bicycle the efficient machine it is and does this instead:

these people got millions of dollars

cool, a bike you can't wear a backpack while riding or carry anything with you that's not in your pockets. also you have to run the whole way. and somehow strap yourself into a harness instead of just jumping on

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Vorik posted:

imagine the sort of person who walks into a place like this unironically

lol
Actually this was an okay idea, they had a lot of hard to find cereals, international stuff, toppings like a froyo bar, tvs, and even though goons were retarded and didn't know how to convert to USD but it was also pretty cheap. If it were in a college town it'd be a fun treat now and then with your friends.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i collect old & rare cereals pm me if u got the 1987 count chocula

naem
May 29, 2011

Mozi posted:

cool, a bike you can't wear a backpack while riding or carry anything with you that's not in your pockets. also you have to run the whole way. and somehow strap yourself into a harness instead of just jumping on

Also your neck is conveniently trapped between metal bars 6 feet off the found if you fall over

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

e: lmao i just say your edit, you are dumb if you can't see the inextricable link between the two even if you get semantical about Merriam-Webster's Dictionary codified book of words.

Spell it out for me

Seriously, if this inextricable link is something other than "I don't like them and they are new" or maybe "Aspergers" I straight-up don't know what it is

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

loquacius posted:

Spell it out for me

Seriously, if this inextricable link is something other than "I don't like them and they are new" or maybe "Aspergers" I straight-up don't know what it is

It's just out of touch goons, i'm surprised we haven't seen a skinny jeans joke yet. Those drat hipsters and all that.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I keep rare cereals in my skinny jeans at the raves i go to while staring at my phone .. nobody can stop me, hell, peopel think its cool

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe if enough people lose their jobs Starbucks will stop selling pumpkin spice lattes, crossing my fingers for this wonderful bubble-pop

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How the gently caress do you develop a medical product without a single peer-reviewed paper backing the technology?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

Spell it out for me

they would not and could not exist without it, and are directly marketed and catered to "overworked" tech people with more money than sense as the hot new fad they need in their life for whom taking 15 minutes a day to make a meal is too much. "open sourced food" "hack your diet" etc are all phrases used in marketing it. and given way too much venture capital based on that prediction of "disrupting the lunch industry!" type bullshit. same thing like poo poo like z-boards or whatever. it's just a weird skateboard! just because a "startup" doesn't involve an app or computer doesn't mean it isn't inextricably linked and part of the specific bubble it encompasses

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

McDowell posted:

How the gently caress do you develop a medical product without a single peer-reviewed paper backing the technology?

that's called disrupting

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
lmao the "tech bubble"

some bad investments will die eventually, they always do, we have been through this before, but the good and actually valuable will continue on

nerds

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

twitter is an essential service and should be subsidized by the govt

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

they would not and could not exist without it, and are directly marketed and catered to "overworked" tech people with more money than sense as the hot new fad they need in their life for whom taking 15 minutes a day to make a meal is too much. and given way too much venture capital based on that prediction of "disrupting the lunch industry!" type bullshit. same thing like poo poo like z-boards or whatever. it's just a weird skateboard!

so, they are selling to people with Aspergers, which is "the tech industry" to you, because again, "modern thing I don't like"

and if all tech ceases to exist, those Aspergers people, when they get their new jobs as whatever else, will be magically cured of their Aspergers, wake up, say "what have I been doing with my life" and immediately start eating normal food now and forever amen, rather than continuing to buy it because it's cheap and they are now poorer and still have Aspergers

Seriously guys you can't blame the tech industry as a single entity for overpriced tapas and craft beer AND Soylent, these are two completely different demographics

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

I mean who designs a bicycle that removes the one thing that makes the bicycle the efficient machine it is and does this instead:

what the gently caress am I even looking at, this is like a vision of an alternate future where bicycles are the sentient masters of this earth and they invented humans as a means of transportation that really works their glutes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Spell it out for me

Uh they are techie hipsters coming up with outrageous apps or products to market to other techie hipsters and getting millions and millions of dollars in VC money.

Products that aren't strictly tech but are still related to the tech boom still count. That bike wouldn't exist without idiot techie hipsters in SF marketing it to other idiot techie hipsters.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

so, they are selling to people with Aspergers, which is "the tech industry" to you, because again, "modern thing I don't like"

and if all tech ceases to exist, those Aspergers people, when they get their new jobs as whatever else, will be magically cured of their Aspergers, wake up, say "what have I been doing with my life" and immediately start eating normal food now and forever amen, rather than continuing to buy it because it's cheap and they are now poorer and still have Aspergers

Seriously guys you can't blame the tech industry as a single entity for overpriced tapas and craft beer AND Soylent, these are two completely different demographics

I think rapidly funded and developed products of a new nature that currently doesn't have a direct competitor due to the relative newness instead of scarcity or a cartel in place is considered tech for purely market related reasons instead of the classical definition.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
oh noooo millions of dollars

lol

millions ain't poo poo and it ain't hard to find. there are tons of small VC firms that will give <$10M investments

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Beef Turret posted:

I hope those tech startup geeks die on the streets, personally

speaking as a tech startup geek what is taking so long, I was supposed to die on the streets like a week ago, what is even the point of preordering

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Moridin920 posted:

they're insufferable either way, but now they won't be making millions for it anymore maybe

This is some Dr. Seuss bullshit.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i hope imgur is hosed.

then gbs will be all text.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

loquacius posted:

Oh, so the everything bubble is about to pop. Thank god, I loving hate everything hipsters and now maybe those people will instantly vanish

e:

I actually edited this exact thing into that post, I guess what I'm saying is "this but unironically"
stop posting you loving retard

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rambling Robot posted:

i hope imgur is hosed.

RIP WaffleImages.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Uh they are techie hipsters coming up with outrageous apps or products to market to other techie hipsters and getting millions and millions of dollars in VC money.

Explain to me what "techie" means in this sentence because you are outright stating that "related to technology" isn't what it means and it has to mean something

You appear to be using it as an intensifier for "hipster" and as far as I can tell everyone else is too except the ones who are using it as code for "spergs who have money"

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think rapidly funded and developed products of a new nature that currently doesn't have a direct competitor due to the relative newness instead of scarcity or a cartel in place is considered tech for purely market related reasons instead of the classical definition.

That's not "tech" though, that's "startup culture"

There's overlap there but there are startups in every industry and being a startup doesn't automatically make your weird bicycle company a tech company

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

Explain to me what "techie" means in this sentence because you are outright stating that "related to technology" isn't what it means and it has to mean something

You appear to be using it as an intensifier for "hipster" and as far as I can tell everyone else is too except the ones who are using it as code for "spergs who have money"

That's not "tech" though, that's "startup culture"

There's overlap there but there are startups in every industry and being a startup doesn't automatically make your weird bicycle company a tech company

I agree with you, but I think the word has been subverted in to a different meaning in terms of marketing and investing due to media outlets ranging from the Wall St Journal to Wired to US Weekly throwing it around without context

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

MiracleWhale posted:

what the gently caress am I even looking at, this is like a vision of an alternate future where bicycles are the sentient masters of this earth and they invented humans as a means of transportation that really works their glutes

You're looking at what happens when nobody has the guts to say "you're a moron." See also: the Star Wars prequels.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ashgromnies posted:

lol

millions ain't poo poo and it ain't hard to find. there are tons of small VC firms that will give <$10M investments

I like how you talk like some big boss, but you're not. I'm the big boss.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I agree with you, but I think the word has been subverted in to a different meaning in terms of marketing and investing due to media outlets ranging from the Wall St Journal to Wired to US Weekly throwing it around without context

It definitely has, hence my thesis in this thread: "people see the word 'tech' and think 'that hipster thing I don't like'"

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

loquacius posted:

Spell it out for me

Soylent's core market is pretty much tech people with too much money and not enough time and/or life skills to cook for themselves. Every ridiculous little overpriced food place in SF, like "The Melt" where you can buy a basic grilled cheese sandwich for $4.95, exists because of the same idea. It's all based off the tech bubble phenomenon of too many overworked dorks with too much money in one area

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ashgromnies posted:

lol

Cool. Next time you have an idea try and see if they'll fund it for you and report back

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

It definitely has, hence my thesis in this thread: "people see the word 'tech' and think 'that hipster thing I don't like'"

Yeah, pretty much exactly like "SJW" has taken over for "Contrarian idiot who won't shut the gently caress up no matter how wrong facts show them to be"

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Are you calling loquacius an SJW

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Rambling Robot posted:

i hope imgur is hosed.

nooooo, I consult my bookmarked gibbis threads every time I forget how to poop

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Aralan posted: