Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

MaxxBot posted:

Disruptive and innovative 1818 technology!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy_horse

MiracleWhale posted:

my taint hurts just looking at this thing

the original taint reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
The dude in the background is having a great time riding his wooden wheeled dandy horse on a bumpy dirt road.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I saw the CEO of Uber on the street a couple months ago, my only regret is that I didn't have a weapon on me to kill him right there

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Live here and this is basically correct. 500k+ layoffs in 1 year in the third largest city in the US means things aren't looking too hot.

yea he works in the oil industry and said he's basically waiting to be told his job is donezo any day now. gas is apparently 1.67/gal there in houston holy loving :eyepop:

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
if it leads to the carpetbombing of SoMa i'm all for it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:smuggo: checkmate startup STEM folk best get into management consultancy while you can :smuggo:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thathonkey posted:

yea he works in the oil industry and said he's basically waiting to be told his job is donezo any day now. gas is apparently 1.67/gal there in houston holy loving :eyepop:

Well theory is that if the EU embargoes hold against Russia and the ISIS/Syria poo poo gets worse, that the US Gulf Coast will start exporting refined fuel instead of importing crude, which could save a lot of jobs

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pff.. It's not going to pop. It's the Golden Age of Tech!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j3cG-Iu6Q

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
dot com bust took my college fund

derivatives collapse took the job i worked so hard to get after high school

wonder what this one will take

hopefully its my life so i suffer no longer

that would be the greatest

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
bring back LF

full communism now

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Crow_Rodeo posted:

So will this spell the end of those cardboard boxes full of food to make one dinner because nerds are scared of the grocery store?

lol, I saw a commercial of these once, you subscribe to the food then it gets sent to you. Sounds dumb as gently caress imo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Just earlier this year I was reading about how petroleum engineers got six figures right out of undergrad, god drat the fickle economy is a harsh mistress.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I saw the CEO of Uber on the street a couple months ago, my only regret is that I didn't have a weapon on me to kill him right there

Was he wearing his "ironic" taxi socks?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Why is gas so cheap all of a sudden?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

notZaar posted:

Just earlier this year I was reading about how petroleum engineers got six figures right out of undergrad, god drat the fickle economy is a harsh mistress.

Hope they saved

(they didn't save)

Don Tacorleone posted:

China's economy is slowing down so they want less, so now there's a glut I think?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
bush's blood oil plan is finally showing dividends.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

Saudi Arabia trying to crash the price to eliminate competition from North America. However now OPEC are at each other throats so they couldn't set a price right now, even if they wanted to

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Don Tacorleone posted:

Well a few months ago all the talking heads were saying that OPEC is flooding the market to kill off competition from fracking. No idea if that's still the case.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

notZaar posted:

Well a few months ago all the talking heads were saying that OPEC is flooding the market to kill off competition from fracking. No idea if that's still the case.

The Saudis are being big whiny babbys about potentially not having a stranglehold on the energy industry so they're flooding the market with hella cheap oil to kill off alternative forms of production (fracking, oil sands), since those are only profitable at higher oil prices. Then once they all shut down they'll cut production a bunch, the price will skyrocket, and they'll make bank again while competitors take years and years to restart production. Of course this happens at the same time Iran can/desperately needs to sell oil again so there's even more supply because of that.

Basically Saudi Arabia is the worst.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So now would be a good time to start hoarding gasoline ? I need to go buy some tin buckets. Gonna make mad bank on it in a few years.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

i dont know what he earns but i wouldnt be surprised. he is a PHD chemical engineer.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Well theory is that if the EU embargoes hold against Russia and the ISIS/Syria poo poo gets worse, that the US Gulf Coast will start exporting refined fuel instead of importing crude, which could save a lot of jobs

forgive my ignorance but wouldn't exporting less hurt jobs here?

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
agreed op this electricity thing is just a fad

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

yea but he said exporting more and importing less

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

*Facebook CEO mission from GTAV*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thathonkey posted:

i dont know what he earns but i wouldnt be surprised. he is a PHD chemical engineer.

No, the us exporting refined oil hurts local refineries and American owned oil companies far less than importing less fuel since it keeps our refineries operational while we sell the results of our own efforts. It's not as good for the bottomline, but it still keeps it in the black

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe we don't have nuclear power as a standard in 2015 the human race dropped the loving ball so hard.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
actually that is pretty much all the fault of leftists/environmentalists

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, a ton of outright false information was made up to scare people off atomic power. Some blame the left, others blame big oil, and others just blame Matt Groening

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I can't believe we don't have nuclear power as a standard in 2015 the human race dropped the loving ball so hard.

have you met the human race, brother?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To be fair, when a nuclear plant goes pear-shaped, it's pretty drat catastrophic.

I was disappointed that the nuclear power plants near Portland, Oregon were torn down before I had a chance to visit them. Apparently the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant or the Hanford plant in SW Washington were the inspiration for the Springfield Nuclear plant in The Simpsons

At least Oregon State University has a legit nuclear reactor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Android Bicyclist posted:

To be fair, when a nuclear plant goes pear-shaped, it's pretty drat catastrophic.

I was disappointed that the nuclear power plants near Portland, Oregon were torn down before I had a chance to visit them. Apparently the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant or the Hanford plant in SW Washington were the inspiration for the Springfield Nuclear plant in The Simpsons

At least Oregon State University has a legit nuclear reactor.

Yeah but to be fair modern designs aren't capable of melt downs (Pebble Bed Modular Reactors). They're designed such a complete loss of cooling doesn't cause melt down, as opposed to needing constant cooling (and if disaster happens and the cooling stops you get melt down).

It's just a bunch of 'oh we didn't do proper maintenance on this super rear end old reactor and WHOOPS LOLOLOL' and even so the nuclear plant disasters are way less environmentally damaging than say a giant rear end oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico or oil trains derailing all the time or coal ash just being dumped into rivers and ground water.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 18, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but to be fair modern designs aren't capable of melt downs (Pebble Bed Modular Reactors). They're designed such a complete loss of cooling doesn't cause melt down, as opposed to needing constant cooling (and if disaster happens and the cooling stops you get melt down).

It's just a bunch of 'oh we didn't do proper maintenance on this super rear end old reactor and WHOOPS LOLOLOL' and even so the nuclear plant disasters are way less environmentally damaging than say a giant rear end oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico or oil trains derailing all the time or coal ash just being dumped into rivers and ground water.

:qq: But, but, but, radiation! Bad! No movies have been made about a coal plant! Burn things for heat, we understand this. :qq: Atoms and poo poo can't be seen so it's magic. Nuclear power is magic power that can kill you without being seen! :qq: With fire we don't have to go near it, fire no hurt us! :qq:

Checkmate Atheists.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That is true, but when people suggest alternative energy sources they're either shouted down for
ruining the pristine view or "Sucking up all the energy from the sun*."

Me, I just want enough electricity to keep my house air conditioned in the summer while browsing the website Something Awful.

*(though the actual truth is a lot more reasonable).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Tech is a multiplier, not additive.

3500+ employee circle jerking the same app can only do so much.

Remember Amazon is built on the backs of good old fashion distribution and marketing. The original warehouse managers just saw the wisdom to invest in their own operations.

Please let the tech bubble pop.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
All the capitalist environment rapers would be totally down with a nuke plant on every street corner, it's those god drat tree huggers that hosed it all up :shrug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Why did the reactors in Japan melt down then?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Fukushima happened during the earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan. What that means is that a (relatively) unexpected variable was introduced & hosed things up. Could Japan have modified their plant designs to better handle earthquakes as that region is susceptible for those situations? Maybe, but hindsight is 20/20.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2015

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes, the save the earth crowd, ironically, is the one that pretty much doomed it to another hundred years of coal and oil based power

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wheres my robot whores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

notZaar posted:

Why did the reactors in Japan melt down then?

A record strength tsunami? So yeah, don't built the reactors in California.

Even then, a lot of the aftermath was as bad as it was not because of pure danger but because people are super careful whenever radiation is involved. IIRC a lot of the evacuated area experienced radiation levels that would have almost no impact on health, but they were cleared to be absolutely sure.

• Locked thread