Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Xaris posted:

^^^ pretty much, yeah

the funny thing is i remember that a lot of people came back complaining that their resume had even more typos i think he was hiring people whose english was their second language or something to do half the work of plugging poo poo into a lovely template

He's a mod now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
huu huuuu
how do i write resume omg
*sweats*
i better pay someone else to do it!!
- actual real people

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

Why did the reactors in Japan melt down then?

Because it was using an older design which was late on its scheduled maintenance. TEPCO decided it wasn't a big deal and they'd do it a few months later and then they got hit with the biggest earthquake and resultant tsunami in the nation's recorded history.

Also for some idiot reason the emergency cooling system was manually shut down minutes after it kicked in.

Flesh Forge posted:

All the capitalist environment rapers would be totally down with a nuke plant on every street corner, it's those god drat tree huggers that hosed it all up :shrug:

It really is a tragic comedy.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

notZaar posted:

Fukushima was a 40 year old reactor and was hit by a tsunami from one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded.

And it still wouldn't have melted down if TEPCO hadn't hosed up.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

MiracleWhale posted:

we'll have to spin off the unprofitable front-page division

I hear Yahoo is interested in buying it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, TEPCO being a private company lobbied the poo poo out of the Japanese government which deferred to them and resulted in some hilariously lax regulation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

notZaar posted:

what happened in japan was that tepco didn't maintain their poo poo because :10bux: and it was crumbling before the earthquake even hit. foreign inspectors came in shortly before the tsunami and they were like "holy poo poo this is a disaster waiting to happen, what the gently caress did you do"

beaten many times but yeah tldr this:

Irradiation posted:

And it still wouldn't have melted down if TEPCO hadn't hosed up.

ironically due to advances in modern technology and actually reading stuff to get at least a cursory understanding of nuke plants after fukushima, it convinced me that nuclear power is, in fact, good

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 18, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

That reactor was like the oldest one in japan and investigation showed that it should have been fixed or shut down years ago but wasn't

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm no expert but don't build energy-creating nuclear reactors that you can't shut off if things go bad in the future

Solar seems like a better idea even if more expensive

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Moridin920 posted:

Also, TEPCO being a private company lobbied the poo poo out of the Japanese government which deferred to them and resulted in some hilariously lax regulation.

...which is why people don't trust things that go bad for tens of thousands of years when the inevitable human gently caress-ups occur.

A small percentage of people on earth can be trusted with that sort of thing. News flash: the other illogical majority control those people.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Guy with an under cut, beard and tattoo sleeves probably: A bloo bloo we want to have coal and oil and gas and every thing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

a bay posted:

Guy with an under cut, beard and tattoo sleeves probably: A bloo bloo we want to have coal and oil and gas and every thing

wanna suck that guy's dick

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm no expert but don't build energy-creating nuclear reactors that you can't shut off if things go bad in the future

Calculate the amount of solar energy the earths land mass receives per day and thwn multiply it by the efficiency of a solar panel. Then compare that number to the amount of electricity used by the us in a day.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mange Mite posted:

Calculate the amount of solar energy the earths land mass receives per day and thwn multiply it by the efficiency of a solar panel. Then compare that number to the amount of electricity used by the us in a day.

still better than shutting off hundreds of miles around a nuclear disaster site for 100,000 years due to "I forgot to push a button" or "The ground moved and I didn't want it to move"

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

huh what numbers? get out of here with that poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'll be honest I didn't calculate poo poo I just winged it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a happy snowman posted:

...which is why people don't trust things that go bad for tens of thousands of years when the inevitable human gently caress-ups occur.

A small percentage of people on earth can be trusted with that sort of thing. News flash: the other illogical majority control those people.

Yeah but now we design reactors that shut down because of physics instead of relying on humans to do their jobs right because apparently they can't.

Like I said, the modern nuclear reactor designs are made such that even in the event of total power or coolant failure a melt down can't happen.

Don Tacorleone posted:

still better than shutting off hundreds of miles around a nuclear disaster site for 100,000 years

And that's honestly some anti-nuclear propaganda exaggeration :shrug: If it takes 100,000 years for the radiation to dissipate then the radiation isn't all that harmful (since the electrons fly off at a slower rate). Chernobyl will be livable again long long before even say 1,000 years from now and that was a huge-rear end purposeful gently caress up with a super old reactor design.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 18, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

Ok it is.

Now you convince rich old Uncle Pennybags that a 30 year ROI is in his best interest at age 65

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Am I right in saying that Fukushima wasn't even a meltdown? It was that the coolant system was leaking as steam, and as a result irradiated steam was escaping from inside the reactor?

If I'm reading google right, the current safe zone is about 20km (tiny) and is where the land begins to receive over the (very conservative) yearly radiation limit for nuclear workers.

E: The official line is that it'll be safely usable again in 30 years (aka, well in time for our grandchildren's tribal apocalypse survivor grandchildren)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also for what it's worth yeah the area around Chernobyl is abandoned and yeah Fukushima is still abandoned but if you're talking about square miles of unusable polluted land then you're talking about potential environmental impact of old reactor design catastrophes compared to the actual hundreds of square miles of polluted land we've destroyed burning coal and oil and dumping the byproduct.

also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Blue_Run_Lake

quote:

Little Blue Run Lake or Little Blue Run is the largest coal ash impound in the United States.[1] FirstEnergy owns the site, located in Pennsylvania, and has disposed of billions of gallons of coal waste into the body of water. Several court cases have been brought against the company as a result of the damage caused by the company's practices at the site.

quote:

The lake covers 1,900 acres[2] and the waste in the lake is prevented from escaping thanks to a 400-foot tall, 2,200-foot wide rock-and-earth dam.[3] Coal slurry from Bruce Mansfield power plant in Shippingport is piped into the lake.[4]

The lake contains 20 billion gallons of coal ash and smokestack scrubber waste.[2] The northern coast of the lake is only a few hundred meters from the Ohio River.

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection estimates that if the dam failed it would affect 50,000 people and has mandated that coal ash cannot be added to the lake after 2016.

This is one coal ash lake from basically one coal plant. Leaking heavy metals into the groundwater and into the river through runoffs.

Suddenly the tiny tiny tiny amount of byproduct from nuclear plants and what we do to store it comes into perspective looking at that poo poo, I think.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 18, 2015

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

And that's honestly some anti-nuclear propaganda exaggeration :shrug: If it takes 100,000 years for the radiation to dissipate then the radiation isn't all that harmful (since the electrons fly off at a slower rate). Chernobyl will be livable again long long before even say 1,000 years from now and that was a huge-rear end purposeful gently caress up with a super old reactor design.

Your point is valid but it is not just electrons (beta). Also helium cores (alpha) and gamma rays.

I'd rather live in the chernobyl exclusion zone than right next to a oil refinery.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also if we weren't funneling so much money into the Middle East the powers over there might not have the cash to burn to fund so many terrorist groups but that's getting very off topic.

goddamn hippies loving up the nuclear age goddamn boomers... goddamn hipsters get out of my CA

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The investigation reports for any of the notable nuclear incidents (with the possible exception of Fukushima) show that safety standards and procedures, training, maintenance, hazard analysis, everything was absolutely stone aged compared to what is common procedure in even low consequence industries today. So not only do we have the technology to make things safer, we also have the knowledge required to not act like idiots and gently caress things up in the dumbest ways, and to prevent people from doing that even if they really want to.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Coal causes more radioactive pollution every year by design than all the nuclear incidents combined.

idk if that's true or not I read it in D&D tho :shobon:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mods please change thread title to Tech bubble about to pop into a nuclear mushroom cloud TIA

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luxury Communism posted:

Coal causes more radioactive pollution every year by design than all the nuclear incidents combined.

idk if that's true or not I read it in D&D tho :shobon:

Dunno exact numbers but it sounds somewhat right... maybe a bit hyperbolic to say every year but idk.

Of course the counter argument to that is 'well if nuclear power is the standard then there would be way more nuclear incidents!' at which point you direct them to the new pebble reactor designs.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Bro Dad posted:

Theranos has claimed to have developed a blood-testing device named Edison
Who the fuckk names poo poo after Edison anymore? It's all about Tesla. Are we gonna scroll back through shittier and shittier inventors as the good ones get traemarked?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Tesla's such a perfect symbol for tech bubbleheads though because he pissed away several fortunes on spectacular but ultimately useless ideas

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 18, 2015

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
We need more Marissa Mayer fanfiction.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Absolute Lithops posted:

Who the fuckk names poo poo after Edison anymore? It's all about Tesla. Are we gonna scroll back through shittier and shittier inventors as the good ones get traemarked?

it's a great name because edison was at heart a huckster

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MikeyLikesIt posted:

We need more Marissa Mayer fanart.

fixed

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mange Mite posted:

it's a great name because edison was at heart a huckster

Tesla was a great inventor and a lovely businessman

Edison was a good inventor and a phenomenal businessman. There's a reason one died poor and cold and the other was fat and warm

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Tesla was a goon, Edison was a Chad.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Ok it is.

Now you convince rich old Uncle Pennybags that a 30 year ROI is in his best interest at age 65

Well if were still using Japan as an example this dude is only middle aged so it should be pretty easy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

notZaar posted:

Tesla was a goon

don't put this on goons, tesla was a sort of brony. he loved his bird the way a man loves a woman

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The White Dragon posted:

don't put this on goons, tesla was a sort of brony. he loved his bird the way a man loves a woman

Whiplash in Iron man 2 was the Tesla to Stark's Edison. it all makes sense

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

Tesla was a great inventor and a lovely businessman
Lol he was like Han Solos character in The Mosquito Coast, he'd build something scientifically clever but otherwise pointless, then go back to investors promising to build one 50x bigger

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gazpacho posted:

Lol he was like Han Solos character in The Mosquito Coast, he'd build something scientifically clever but otherwise pointless, then go back to investors promising to build one 50x bigger

uh Tesla legit invented a lot of useful stuff though?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
When he worked under other people's guidance, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gazpacho posted:

When he worked under other people's guidance, sure