Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I hope snapchat pops because their ui sucks and I want something better to come along for sending funny poo poo to my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tesla invented:

AC induction
radio
remote control
electric motor

with no 'guidance' from other people; although a couple of those were independently invented around the same time others came up with the concept. just those 4 things alone beat the poo poo out of anything Edison invented in terms of usefuless and revolutionizing industries/society.

e: oops error in memory, although Tesla did come up with the concept of a laser way before it was ever a thing

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

tesla invented:

AC induction
radio
remote control
electric motor
lasers

with no 'guidance' from other people; although a couple of those were independently invented around the same time others came up with the concept (in the case of the laser the concept was patented but Tesla is the one that actually worked out how to build one).

uh, I think you mean Edison :smug:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Yeah yeah and I suppose he could leap tall buildings too

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lmao at pretending that your love of Tesla is based on history and not Command & Conquer

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AugmentedVision posted:

lmao at pretending that your love of Tesla is based on history and not Command & Conquer

that is where it all started, of course

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7VIOYwW9LU

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex

naem posted:

Also your neck is conveniently trapped between metal bars 6 feet off the found if you fall over

ha!

that's pretty awesome to me, but I am pretty suicidal.

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex

loquacius posted:

Maybe if enough people lose their jobs Starbucks will stop selling pumpkin spice lattes, crossing my fingers for this wonderful bubble-pop

you sound like a real fungi.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I just had an idea for an app that would set up freelance snow removal experts to clear driveways and sidewalks on request. The name of the service would be called plow me.

Of course it already exists.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
why does twitter have 4300 staff when the entire thing is literally just some computer servers in a room

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Chernobyl was just a few people loving up during nothing happening, Fukushima was basically the aftermath of a SimCity game where you hit all the natural disaster buttons. The fact that it wasn't really that bad for all that should honestly be a positive argument for modern nuclear power. More modern designs, especially in places where you won't have a reactor getting flooded by a massive tsunami after an earthquake, should be a no brainer compared to dumping coal fired thorium into the atmosphere or carpeting the entire planet in inefficient solar cells

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AHH FUGH posted:

why does twitter have 4300 staff when the entire thing is literally just some computer servers in a room

most are paid to post on twitter and/or operate twitter bots for marketing companies

naem
May 29, 2011

AHH FUGH posted:

*Pulls up a chair, turns it around and sits on it backwards with my arms resting casually across the back, displaying my numerous legend of Zelda tattoos, runs hand through swept back hair with the sides shaved, takes sip of latte, rubs hand absentmindedly on stretched earlobe, nods confidently in your direction, begins well practiced earnest sounding sales pitch using all the latest youth culture buzzwords, pauses to high five passing coworker with a laptop and black plastic frame glasses and a lumberjack shirt, claps you affably on the shoulder, mounts electric unicycle, rolls past reception desk where he collects a check for $138,000 dollars*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

*Pulls up a chair, turns it around and sits on it backwards with my arms resting casually across the back, displaying my numerous legend of Zelda tattoos, runs hand through swept back hair with the sides shaved, takes sip of latte, rubs hand absentmindedly on stretched earlobe, nods confidently in your direction, begins well practiced earnest sounding sales pitch using all the latest youth culture buzzwords, pauses to high five passing coworker with a laptop and black plastic frame glasses and a lumberjack shirt, claps you affably on the shoulder, mounts electric unicycle, rolls past reception desk where he collects a check for $138,000 dollars*

it almost makes you wish for :ussr:

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
a check? way to go grandpa. its all about direct deposit

naem
May 29, 2011

It's artisanal

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Wouldn't the simple solution to all this be to just make all the techie hipster guys design and build nuclear power plants?

I really want my power plants to have open areas made entirely of glass and to have ball pits and bean bag chairs

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Wouldn't the simple solution to all this be to just make all the techie hipster guys design and build nuclear power plants?

I really want my power plants to have open areas made entirely of glass and to have ball pits and bean bag chairs

Sorry but at this point our artisinal power plants will just be a bunch of bearded gentlemen touting their mine to smokestack supply chain

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
We single source our pure anthracite from only the deepest Pennsylvania mines, generating a pleasantly smooth current to power your flywheels

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

naem posted:

lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

naem posted:

Next, Shingy stopped by the office of Erika Nardini, the chief marketing officer of AOL Advertising, and handed her an iPad Mini. “Wanted to show you a little brain fart I had on the plane,” he said. It was a cartoon he had drawn of a bear wearing zebra-print pants and a shirt covered in ones and zeros.

“Love it, love it, love it,” Nardini said. “I’m thinking of the bears more as a metaphor.”

“A thousand per cent,” Shingy said.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

How could investors have predicted that overvalued companies which produce no tangible product and have no real revenue would collapse? Especially, if there has never been a historical example?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I don't need the whole thing to pop but I am eagerly awaiting the app-ocalypse because I am so tired of seeing 'social entrepreneurs' whose bright idea is to get funding to pay someone else to create an app that does absolutely nothing not better handled by a Facebook group awarded all the grants and investment dollars. If you need wealthy old people to invest in your idea, whatever field you might be working in, all you've got to do is say it's an app and you will have better odds than if you presented an extensively researched proposal with a working prototype. People who usually understand how markets work will completely ditch that in the context of apps and it's about time they got educated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

naem posted:

lol

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Dad posted:

Next, Shingy stopped by the office of Erika Nardini, the chief marketing officer of AOL Advertising, and handed her an iPad Mini. “Wanted to show you a little brain fart I had on the plane,” he said. It was a cartoon he had drawn of a bear wearing zebra-print pants and a shirt covered in ones and zeros.

“Love it, love it, love it,” Nardini said. “I’m thinking of the bears more as a metaphor.”

“A thousand per cent,” Shingy said.

The worst part is this is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This will be the funniest saddest dumb thing and it makes me smile while I cry.

• Locked thread