Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Obviously do not even consider this if you are not ready for merging finances with your girlfriend even a little bit BUT

I wasn't super great with money when I met my husband. When we bought a house together we set up a joint checking account and each put a set amount of money into it. I calculated how much money we needed for stuff like mortgage, cell phones, heating, water, etc. anything joint. We make about the same amount so we split that monthly amount into 4 and each put in that amount plus about $100 every paycheck. The money in this account goes to bills. It doesn't go to eating out or buying poo poo for the house or anything. Just bills. We have a checkbook for it but no debit/check card. The rest of our money we keep separate and do whatever with. But we always have enough for bills plus a good amount of padding that builds up over time that can go to unexpected house stuff if needed.

It also means we both contribute equally to bills (it's adjusted a little bit because he adds more for his car payment and I buy groceries and most other stuff out of my account). But if you split costs it's always the method I recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread