Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Oh boy. I haven't done this (budget anything) for a long time, which might be part of the problem. I logged in to my bank account today and discovered that I have $9 until next week Friday. I took a new job so that I wouldn't have to worry about this kinda poo poo and here I am again :smith:

Anyways:

Total post-tax income per month: $3,454 (pluserminus $100)
Monthly bills
Mortgage: $678.94
Car: $121.94
TV: $92.24 (under contract for two years)
Internet: $80.48 (under contract for two years)
Car and home insurance: $84.84 (weird)
Bus fare: $85
Cell phone: $75
Music space rent: $40
Utilities (gas/electric/water/trash): $220
Car gas: $50 (don't drive much)
Food: whatever isn't used for spending anything else

PNGs of sad numbers
The discover card absorbed ~$1,100 from the US Bank card and I'm doing my best to pay that off before the intro 0% APR on balance transfers deal is up. The Cap1 minimum payment per month is $127.## and US Bank's is something around $250 but I've been throwing any left-over cash at it, so like an extra $100 here and there.

NALP used to be Iowa Student Loan. This was from my first attempt at college. Stupid me!

Mortgage info.

Navient is this. gently caress these guys. I called them and tried to get my payments lowered from $252 to something else but they're not hearing it. They already lowered the federal payments to like $15/month.

This is Sallie Mae, and that's my monthly auto-deduction.

I'm trying to find the thread where it tells me what to tell you guys. Just ask and I'll tell; I'm not trying to hold any secrets here I just wanna not be in debt until I'm dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Evil Robot posted:

So in your post you say mortgage $678.94 but your screenshot says $1357.89. What's up?
Right, my girlfriend and I bought the house, so we split that in half.

Devian666 posted:

Your mortgage payment in your expenses is half what is listed as your monthly payment. Is someone else paying half?

If you are paying minimums on loans that's $450.54 per month which leaves $1500 per month in your food category. Are you sure there aren't other misc expenses? If you are spending $800 per month on food then you really need help with that category.

E: I adjusted for an assumed 5% credit card minimum payment of just under $700.

After going through your loan repayments they are all acceptable levels of repayments each with less than half of the payment being interest. The student loans and other payments do not need adjustment and should be left alone. The high priority issue is the credit card debt.
I'll triple-check what I'm looking at, because yeah, I have no idea where like $1,500 is just evaporating. I also agree with the credit card debt; that poo poo is bumming me out.

Devian666 posted:

If the 0% card penalises you at the end for not repaying in full then it's not one of the good 0% cards. Usually we recommend getting a 0% card than only charges regular interest a full year after the balance transfer. Then focus on paying off the high interest cards and transfer the 0% balance to another card before the interest free period ends.

Cutting food expenses to something more reasonable would allow for a high monthly repayment on the credit cards.
The only reason I wanna get that paid off before the period ends is just to motivate myself. That's one of the reasons I opened the US Bank card in the first place! :doh: I never paid down the initial transfer from the Capital One cards.

SiGmA_X posted:

So you have what, a grand left over for food and such? I didn't add it up very accurately. What's your problem?

What does Mint/etc show your outflows were last month?
I've tried a bunch of times to get Mint to work, and a year or so I gave up. Something's wrong with the US Bank system, but I'll see if I can get that synced up again.

Just with these posts I might be narrowing in on my problem: I might be irresponsible with money :ohdear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely gonna spend some time this evening going through the last two months and see where my money's being spent. My debit card is the only thing I'm using for spending, that and checks (for car payments). What's YNAB?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Augh, sorry thread. I was reminded that I needed to do this thing and update stuff by BraveUlysses. The holidays were upon us and I went through a really sadbrains couple of weeks so I had very little motivation to do anything positive.

I DID go through all my transactions between July 15th (as far back as the online records will allow for US Bank) through 1/1/2016 and arrived at the following numbers:
  • Liquor store purchases: $562.95 ($102.35/month average)
  • Restaurant: $1,961.30 ($356.60/mo)
  • Overdrafts: $288 ($52.36/mo)
I'm 100% not on drugs at all; I had a bad coke habit ~9 years ago that scared me off of anything harder than booze (no pot, either), but that's not the point. The point is that I'm still not having many monies.

Mint.com was giving me the berries when it came to what account was being used where and it was pissing me off so I've just now signed back up for it and punched in all the numbers, etc. The ads are annoying as gently caress so I'll be looking into YNAB once I'm done with dinner. Just wanna let you know that I was little afraid and sad and busy over the last few weeks.

edit: Signed up for the 34-day trial of YNAB and it's so much better than mint. No ads for services that are essentially predatory and real financial advice. I'm reading through the "Learn to Prioritize" article and I'm learning a lot. Does it take a little bit for the transactions history to show up in your budget in YNAB or do I have to manually enter the stuff?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is the tv contract the same company as the internet one? If so, you can maybe reduce it to just internet and get netflix or amazon prime or something instead. We definitely need to see the breakdown of that entertainment/food category, therein is the real problem.
To answer this, no, they're not. We had Comcast when we first moved to our new house and shortly afterward switched to DirecTV for TV and had to keep Comcast cuz we signed a contract (honestly had no idea we'd done that).

scuz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 7, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:stonk:

There is one minor correction: the mortgage should be halved (my girlfriend and I split the payment).

-Restaurants are now once-a-month and nothing fancy
-Packing lunch for work, baking own bread
-Holy poo poo
-Jesus. Christ.

I'm lucky that I can get my bus fare reimbursed through work and can do all car repairs myself but knowing that I'm that close to breaking even is a bit alarming. The overdrafts HAVE stopped! It's been 4 whole paychecks since my last overdraft (probably coincides with the new job).

Thank you so much for taking the time to math stuff for me. I'll look into the taxes on payday this Friday.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

bolind posted:

Not quite a minor correction as it'll put you from $175 in the red to $500 in the black, but still dude... get your debts paid down and stop blowing $5k a year on restaurants and booze.

I don't know much about the US mortgage system, but I do know that paying double-digit interest rates on thousands in consumer debt is dumb. Any way to roll the expensive consumer debt into cheap(er) mortgage debt without getting buttraped on fees?
To the first point: yeah, I've been trying to pay more than the minimum each month on my credit cards. I've also been looking into different credit consolidation companies, but they all seem like fukken scams.

No idea whether we can roll the consumer debt into the house, but I really doubt it. These people have me by the short hairs, no reason for them to let go.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Higgy posted:

Don't lose the forest for the trees here. You need to take a hard look at your expenses, your frame of mind that got you into debt, student loans aside, and address the cause and the symptoms.

Go back to my list of suggestions. Seriously, seriously, make a budget that captures the rest of this month for starters and post it here to hold yourself accountable. You don't even need YNAB for this, just use any spreadsheet program and list out your categories and what you need to spend in them to ensure you're in the black on Feb 1. Rinse and repeat every month until the debt is gone.
Well I scraped by until today, which is payday, with $10 left in my checking account. After bills and mortgage payment, I have -$74 until the 22nd. Not included in my "bills" math: job transportation ($85), rehearsal space rent ($40), or food ($??).

:smithicide: The only options I see (please let there be more) are get a second job, make a late payment on my CapitalOne card (due on the 15th), or start selling stuff. To the last point, I've put a bunch of stuff on craigslist and facebook over the last couple of weeks at thrift-sale prices and no bites yet. To the first point, even if I got a job today they wouldn't be able to pay me until I was already in the red unless they paid cash, so that means snow removal jobs or other labor-type stuff. I can do labor-type stuff I just don't know where to find those jobs outside of craigslist.

I'm reviewing "just how the gently caress" and it looks like the reason my payday is nothing more than plugging 3 holes in a 4 hole boat is because last pay cycle I paid a 3-month late power bill ($310) and a 4 month late cell phone bill ($344). So what should have been ~$190 would up being $654. So :ms:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Do you have a friend or family member you can borrow from to get you through next month?

I may have caught a break with some handyman work over the next couple of weekends, so that should work out. I've asked my friends and family members if they need any work done around the house or PC/IT stuff, too. With the number of times I've had to ask them for money for nothing in return, I feel this is a good alternative.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the encouraging words, you guys. I feel more confident that once I get back on top of my bills and knock off the late payment nonsense that I'll be stable. I haven't bought booze or set foot in a restaurant in two weeks. I'll look into what the cancellation policy would be for Comcast cuz that whole situation is sorta bumming me out.

I've avoided having to borrow money because I found some! There was a gift that I hadn't returned ($50), an Amazon gift card that I received for Christmas yesterday that I sold for $10 under the amount ($65 to me), and I'm finally selling a bass cabinet that's been on craigslist for a couple weeks ($150). $10 also showed up in the garage (we host parties there and people chip in). Every time I think "cool, :10bux:, I can pop out for a slice of pizza or a sandwich" I stop and remind myself of how that mindset got me into this mess.

My lady and I have sat down and discussed everything and we've both agreed we gotta knock it the f off. We've been doing an OK job so far keeping checks on each other in spite of having a really lovely weekend.

To point #4 in Dwight's post: this is basically the reason I sold the Amazon gift card for cash. I couldn't justify any purchases on Amazon since none of them are "car payment" or "power bill", nothing on Amazon is necessary for me at the moment, and, like the :10bux: anecdote earlier, I've been doing a good job of talking myself out of non-essentials.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well I made it to payday! All my bills are paid between now and next paycheck and I'm sitting on something around $800 until next paycheck at this very moment. I haven't budgeted for food or anything like that yet, but I've severely reined in my booze spending (tea is a fun alternative, and much cheaper) and haven't spent a dime on restaurant food in 3 weeks. Feels good!

Bibendum posted:

I probably shouldn't mix your threads, and I don't know if this is your only car

Snipped for size:

But, hold off on any of this that you can, set an allowance and consider it a hobby.

This sounds like a better project that could actually put you in a better spot financially.

This is pretty much exactly the plan for these. I'm not putting any of MY money into the Passat besides the price of insurance each month and the title transfer fee, and the Golf is just getting the oil problem fixed for the foreseeable future cuz :homebrew:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nothing more expensive than a project car. If you ONLY do work to fix the oil consumption problem that could make sense, but don't touch anything else.

How much are you getting paid to work on the W8? (comedy answer not enough lol)
Yup, that's the plan. I finally took a look at the procedure for fixing the oil consumption and it looks straight forward enough that I'll be able to get it taken care of in a weekend even without any experience with it. I'm getting paid like $300 or so to get the car fixed, more if I'm able to sell it for a lot.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The most difficult part about having left over money after bills are paid is not going directly to a burger joint over lunch cuz "lookit all that left over money!" My discipline isn't where it should be, but it's certainly getting better. The $800 "left overs" wound up being closer to $400 cuz I forgot about my car payment and had some other unexpected expenses, but hey, at least it wasn't a scramble to figure out how to shuffle the credit card payments around :v:

I make significantly more money per year than my girlfriend so that's why I kind of shoulder a few more bills. She's a public school art teacher and I'm an IT computer janitor. She also does a majority of the grocery shopping for us.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most of my meals are home-cooked because I enjoy tinkering in the kitchen, so no worries there. :)

In other news, I might be selling my drum set for cash money. It isn't being used at the moment and was purchased mostly on credit anyway so it may as well go back to helping the cause. If I had $1,200 cash, what would you all recommend I do with it? I'm thinking of putting all/most of it towards my highest-interest, highest-balance credit card, just wanted to make sure that was a good idea first :ohdear:

edit: while i'm here, what're y'all's thoughts on automatic deductions from bank accounts? Is it better to take care of them manually or is it personal preference?

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 4, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

Put it all towards the high interest card. It will save you a lot in interest and significantly reduce the time to pay off all your debts.

Automatic deductions are a good way to reinforce spending discipline.

10-4, I'll stop treating them like surprise expenses just cuz I forget about them. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You've had a cash flow problem so I might throw a few hundred of it in an efund with the rest going to your high interest credit cards.
Ooo, good idea. I'll save like $200 and throw a grand at my high interest US Bank card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

Any other things sitting around that would be worthwhile to sell, while you're thinking about it?
This was kind of the Last Substantial Thing, and I'd had cold feet about it for a while. Slept on it and have decided to sell the set to my band buddy who will take care of it and use it and it makes the sale much easier knowing it's going to a friend.

• Locked thread