Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I probably shouldn't mix your threads, and I don't know if this is your only car

Snipped for size:

scuz posted:

I’m planning on doing everything I can to the vehicle in order to fall in love with the car resent it a bit less. More aggressive camshaft, improved wheels and tires, turbo install, fix the loving door locks, remove the rear seats and replace the entire interior from the front seats to the hatch with a removable hardwood bed, wrap it in buffalo plaid, swap in a 6-speed manual from the 20th anniversary edition, you know, that kinda stuff. If I’m serious about the turbo, I’ll want to rebuild the engine, but then I thought “why not convert it to 16v with a $150 head off craigslist and go with ITBs?” Darn you, brain :allears:. We’ll see.

The biggest problem? Oil consumption. This motherfucker burns near a quart every 300 miles, give or take. It’s burning and not leaking out of the engine because every 1,200 miles or so I have to remove and clean the spark plugs, which are coated in oil and carbon build up

If I don’t go through this regular cleaning, it starts misfiring. The post-cat O2 sensor is grumpy because, according to it, the cat is operating below performance threshold. It’s very likely that all this oil is junking the cat and I’ll have to replace that AND the O2 sensor.

After the oil’s fixed the next on the list is the A/C. It’s completely shot, but doesn’t leak at all, leading me to believe that the compressor has disintegrated from the inside, so I’m going to replace everything, preferably from a junker/donor car.

But, hold off on any of this that you can, set an allowance and consider it a hobby.

scuz posted:

What’re YOU doing with it?

I’m fixing it. Stop laughing. I’m fixing it and then I’m selling it to the next masochist who thinks a W8 is a good idea. A few VW enthusiasts that I know tell me that there are a lot of VW enthusiasts in the area and they have meet-ups every year, so that’s my deadline: get this thing sale-ready by the next big ol’ meet-up in the summer. On the outside chance that I decide owning this is a better idea than my other long term idea (building my Golf’s 2.0L into something useful and putting it in a Caddy then converting it to RWD), I’ll keep the drat thing. It's still at dad's and I'll be picking it up this weekend along with his ODBII reader, since it's apparent that I'll need that at some point.

Oh, since pops owns the car and I’m only working on it, he’s paying for all the parts that are needed for repairs. Good for me, since I’m trying to save money. I’ll be getting paid to do all of this nonsense, also.

This sounds like a better project that could actually put you in a better spot financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread