Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
So you have what, a grand left over for food and such? I didn't add it up very accurately. What's your problem?

What does Mint/etc show your outflows were last month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Aagar posted:

Great post, Higgy. If that doesn't scare the poo poo out of the OP, I'm not sure what else will.

Not to potentially throw more gas on the fire, but do Americans have the same sort of tax deduction system as Canada, where a disproportionate amount of income is taken as taxes such that you end up having larger paychecks for the last 3rd of the year? My paycheck is about $500/mo more after Aug. 31 once all my taxes are paid up. My worry is that for a while the income part of his balance sheet is going to look worse for the next 6-8 months, which will make the hole that much deeper.
We do not have that weird income tax deduction thing, it's based on your annual pay estimated per period. Working two jobs or bonus pay can easily throw it off, but usually its pretty flat all year if you're salary or 2 week period hourly.

Now, if Scuz is getting a large refund annually he should adjust his withholding up, and get more money per period. It's simple to figure out once he gets his first 2016 paycheck, too.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

scuz posted:

The most difficult part about having left over money after bills are paid is not going directly to a burger joint over lunch cuz "lookit all that left over money!" My discipline isn't where it should be, but it's certainly getting better. The $800 "left overs" wound up being closer to $400 cuz I forgot about my car payment and had some other unexpected expenses, but hey, at least it wasn't a scramble to figure out how to shuffle the credit card payments around :v:
Don't be a fatass unhealthy American, that is why you aren't going to the burger joint! Cook your meals and profit financially and physically.

Good work getting back into the monthly black. Keep it up.

Jose Valasquez posted:

What I do to avoid this is I automate everything coming out of my paycheck the day it goes in the bank.

I use Capital One 360 (formerly ING), they let you have unlimited sub accounts for savings, so I have a different savings account for different bills/savings goals. Car payment, mortgage, emergency fund, home maintenance, car maintenance, etc. Every other Friday half of my mortgage payment goes straight from my checking account into my mortgage account. Same with all my other bills. Budgeting becomes pretty easy when all your bills are automated, anything left over in my checking account really is money I can spend on whatever I want.
I do this too, but a single bill checking account. X from each paycheck is direct deposited into there based on annual average bills divided by pay periods, with a bit of a buffer sitting in the account just in case (1mo of bills). Makes it super simple. Checking account is for gas/grocery/blow.

• Locked thread