Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Of man's first disobedience, and the fruit/ Of that forbidden tree, whose mortal taste/ Brought death into the world...

This is Mega Man X8, the last game in the series. Its predecessor, X7, was a horrible excuse for a game. Featuring full 3d environments in what was a 2d platformer, restricting you from playing the titular character of the series, and a laughable 'story' with terrible voice acting, not to mention the loose slippery controls, X7 was a gigantic poo poo on a series that many felt had already been past its prime. X8, on the other hand, took what it had with X7 and tried to fix it.

It succeeded, but sadly many people didn't buy X8 because of X7.

Mega Man X8 takes the character of Axl from X7 and turns him into an actually fun character to play, as well as generally improving on the controls and giving each of the three characters (X, Zero, and Axl) their own gameplay, while still maintaining a level design that allows you to play whichever one you want and still succeed. It strips out the 3D environments of X7 and goes back to a more traditional sidescrolling platformer, using 3D only for appearance and a few perspective changes. The voice acting is inoffensive at worst, and the story is... well, it's a Mega Man X story, but it works. And the difficulty... well, X8 is actually a remarkably difficult game at times, but that's par for the course for games in the latter half of the series.

I plan on showing off everything about the game. I will be getting all of the collectibles in the stages, every secret, and everything in the shop. Joining me on this adventure is Rhiodise, who has only passing knowledge about the series and knows nothing about the game in the slightest.

Let's do this.

Videos
Paradise Sigmas
loving SCREENSHAKE
Bee Revenge!
That Desyncing Feeling
Dante's Inferno
Shaking That Booty
Ride Amour
Circles of Hell
A Stealth Mission

Characters

X is the titular character of the game, and plays about as you'd expect him to. He has a powerful charge shot that can break through barriers and guards, but he can only fire straight forward. For mobility, he has an air-dash, but so does everyone else. For now, until we get some armor pieces, expect him to be the least mobile of the three Hunters.

Zero is a melee fighter, so he rewards risky play. His three-hit combo will break barriers and guards, but only on the third hit. He comes with a double-jump. Unlike X and Axl, Zero's special techniques generally don't consume weapon energy, so he can use them all he wants without issue.

Axl is a ranged fighter like X. He still has his dual pistols from X7, but they fire extremely quickly now, and his rapid-fire can break through barriers and guards. While he doesn't do lots of damage per hit, he can hit very often. He has the ability to hover in the air, letting him stay in place for a short time while shooting or allowing him to float over large gaps. Unique to him is his Copy Shot, letting him mimic certain enemies, turning into them to gain their weapons and special abilities.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Good to see another LP of this. Kung Fu Jesus et al. did one a while back, but -that was in 2007 and -the videos were translated to YouTube from Google Video and consequently look like rear end.

Speaking of X7, I don't recall that LP going up on the archive. Was there anything odd that happened?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This game is great.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

NGDBSS posted:

Good to see another LP of this. Kung Fu Jesus et al. did one a while back, but -that was in 2007 and -the videos were translated to YouTube from Google Video and consequently look like rear end.

Speaking of X7, I don't recall that LP going up on the archive. Was there anything odd that happened?

I was... not proud of that LP and thus never made any attempt to get it archived. Well, it was half not thinking it was good enough, half :effort:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I dunno if I'm just used to sprites and seeing things, but everyone's legs look weirdly long in this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I actually like most of X8, gimmick levels aside. Then again, I also like playing as Axl, so...

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
X8 seems to be an alright game from the... two stages I've seen now. The names of the bosses are VERY silly though.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Heatwizard posted:

I dunno if I'm just used to sprites and seeing things, but everyone's legs look weirdly long in this.

yeah, everyone looks really tall and skinny compared to how they look in most of the older games,

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fun fact: I once saw a used copy of Mega Man X: Command Mission at Blockbuster Video, but didn't have the money for it. I hid it behind X7, and a year later it was still there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Fun fact: I once saw a used copy of Mega Man X: Command Mission at Blockbuster Video, but didn't have the money for it. I hid it behind X7, and a year later it was still there.

A perfect strategy.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Lizard Wizard posted:

Was the store also abandoned? Cause that would make it even better.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well now I blame you for the time I went to a closing blockbuster and bought Command Mission only for the disc inside to end up being X7.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TCat posted:

Was the store also abandoned? Cause that would make it even better.

It was a Blockbuster Video at any point in time after 2004, of course it was abandoned.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Rhiodise posted:

X8 seems to be an alright game from the... two stages I've seen now. The names of the bosses are VERY silly though.

I think very few boss names will top X6's Metal Shark Player :colbert:

(...in terms of the silly/retarded factor)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Duff. McWhalen.
Although this one has a couple pretty serious contenders too.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
I would like to request that we not spoil any of the boss names for this game until they've come up, since I'm waiting to see Rhiodise's reaction to some of these boss names live. This game DOES have my favorite boss name in the entire X series, though, and some of you already know what it is! Speaking of bosses, though, I happen to have right here an update!

loving SCREENSHAKE

(I lost an hour of raw footage to desync because of dropped frames due to the screen-shaking effect, I was very upset)

Weapon Get

Axl got Bound Blaster, which shoots up to three projectiles that bounce off of walls, floors, and ceilings. They're fairly large and move quickly!

X got Crystal Wall, which creates a barrier in front of him that he can knock down to crush enemies.

Zero got Rekkyoudan, which turns his Z-Saber orange and lets him deflect enemy projectiles.

EDIT: While my initial plan was to go in boss weakness order, looking ahead, this frontloads some pretty bland levels first. So, instead... much like how Rhiodise chose my first stage, the rest of you get to pick the next one! We've got Troia Base, Pitch Black, Primrose, Dynasty, Central White, Inferno, and Booster Forest. Please bold your vote. If I don't really get any votes... then I guess boss weakness order it is!

Prythian fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 20, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Having played this game, Central White.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we should probably let your co-commentator realize just what he signed up for. Central White. Or that jellyfish guy's level.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Duff. McWhalen.
Although this one has a couple pretty serious contenders too.

I don't know who exactly decided to name the X5 bosses after Guns n' Roses members, but they were a mad genius.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Prythian is holding me at gunpoint to vote, so I'm voting for Primrose

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I like the name Booster Forest.

Tales
Jul 5, 2013
I don't know anything about this game, but Prythian really wants me to vote for Central White.

...Dynasty

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC X6 and X7 had terrible fire levels (for different reasons), so let's all go down into the Inferno :supaburn:

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"
I too know nothing about this game, but Pitch Black sounds like a fun level and not a potentially obnoxious gimmick waiting to happen.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Alright, that's probably long enough. It looks like... a tie between Central White and Dynasty because anilEhilated voted for both. :v: Coincidentally, if I go in boss weakness order, I would first go to Dynasty and then Central White, so I think we'll do that. Expect an update in the next two days!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

kvx687 posted:

I don't know who exactly decided to name the X5 bosses after Guns n' Roses members, but they were a mad genius.

We actually learnt this some years ago:

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2011/04/alyson-court-talks-mega-man-x5-guns-n.html

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
In this video, we do the most important thing... GET REVENGE!

Bee Revenge!

Oh, and we kill a jellyfish or something.

Weapon Get

Axl got Plasma Gun. It has a close-but-wide range and can break through barriers.

X got Thunder Dancer. It basically jumps from enemy to enemy as a chain lightning sort of thing. Charged up, it does the same thing only with three shots. Also, by gaining a buster part, he also got access to the charged version of Crystal Wall, which has healing items embedded in it and is larger.

Zero got Raikousen. By attacking while dashing, Zero will turn invisible and then reappear, leaving behind a trail of electricity. This can be used in the air, too.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 23, 2015

Tales
Jul 5, 2013
The ending to Bee Revenge about sums up my feelings on that whole experience in Dynasty.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's true, some of the Hunters have been known to turn into small children.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's true, some of the Hunters have been known to turn into small children.

You best not be talking poo poo about Mega Man Zero. :colbert:

Anyways, update! I meant to have this up on Christmas, but, well... poo poo happened. So without further ado, That Desyncing Feeling!

Weapon Get

Axl got Ice Gatling, a very rapid-fire weapon that can freeze enemies. This is one of my favorite weapons for Axl in the game.

X got Drift Diamond. It shoots out two snowflakes angled upwards and downwards ahead of him. Charged up, it surrounds him in snowflakes that can damage and freeze enemies on contact as a shield. (I think we saw Avalanche Yeti do this in the video.)

Zero got Hyouryuushou. Basically he spins upwards with an ice-elemental attack that can, say it with me now, freeze enemies.

Vote time! Our stages left are Primrose, Pitch Black, Inferno, Booster Forest, and Troia Base. Again, please bold your votes for where we go next. In case it's relevant, Inferno would be the next stage in the boss weakness chain. Also, thank loving God; we're done with the worst stages in the game; all the rest I find interesting to play.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Prythian posted:

You best not be talking poo poo about Mega Man Zero. :colbert:

As much as I enjoy Mega Man Zero, it cannot be said that Zero looks like anything but a little angry boy in those games.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

As much as I enjoy Mega Man Zero, it cannot be said that Zero looks like anything but a little angry boy in those games.

You can say he looks like an angry little girl if it makes you feel better :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9noiX-1Jgnw

(Inferno)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Inferno because I was bad at that one room, and I wanna see how you do it.

Also apparently you can use zero's electric attack to extend your air dash just far enough to get to that rare metal at the end there so you might not have needed axl, though that doesn't matter since you cant melt that ice yet.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 28, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Booster Forest because I decided to look up the actual stage for the one boss I know of in this game.

Tales
Jul 5, 2013
No, Inferno is the wrong choice, 'cause it's the next boss in weakness order. Let's do Primrose! or if Primrose can't win, then Booster Forest

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My plan is to get fire so we can burn Primrose and Booster Forest. It's what heroes do!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
BURN TO THE GROUND

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Troia Base because I like throwing my vote away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'd like to see Primrose if only because (to me) it has some of oddly catchy music.

• Locked thread