Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ah, X8. Love this game. I even consider it to be the best X game together with X4. That said, Gigabolt Man-O-War's stage can go eat multiple bags of dicks and is the only thing in the game I actively dislike.

I always go by weakness order so Inferno it is.

Are you going to show the metal glitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

KennyMan666 posted:

Ah, X8. Love this game. I even consider it to be the best X game together with X4. That said, Gigabolt Man-O-War's stage can go eat multiple bags of dicks and is the only thing in the game I actively dislike.

I always go by weakness order so Inferno it is.

Are you going to show the metal glitch?

Inferno it is, based on the voting. Also... MAYBE. We'll see. I mean, it's not like it'd ruin anything about the LP, so it's entirely possible.

EDIT: gently caress THAT ROOM

Prythian fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 31, 2015

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I've never actually seen either X7 or X8 in action: my knowledge of the Megaman games went from X5 to Zero. That said, holy cow does this game visually look like rotting garbage. I'm amazed that this is an official product from Capcom. It looks like a bad Unity game.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 31, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

I've never actually seen either X7 or X8 in action: my knowledge of the Megaman games went from X5 to Zero. That said, holy cow does this game visually look like rotting garbage. I'm amazed that this is an official product from Capcom. It looks like a bad Unity game.

IIRC, the main guy behind Megaman, Inafune, jumped ship after he was essentially forced to make X6. Hence, the overall quality of the series really plummeted. I hear it was surprising that X8 turned out as well as it did, considering both X6 and X7.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
X8 graphically just looks more cartoony than the grittier style of the first few. Honestly, X7 was such an experimental mess that practically anything would look better by comparison.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zero's All the animations look so awkward.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Prythian posted:

gently caress THAT ROOM

Well, guess that answers that then.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This game seems neat and it inspired me to play it (on hard mode!) because I'd never heard of it before.

Is zero just trash on this mode, or am I missing something? It seems like he doesn't kill stuff fast enough to make up for being in melee range and just gets hugged to death in 2-3 hits, while X and axl can kill everyone from the other side of the room

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 1, 2016

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

darealkooky posted:

Is zero just trash on this mode, or am I missing something? It seems like he doesn't kill stuff fast enough to make up for being in melee range and just gets hugged to death in 2-3 hits, while X and axl can kill everyone from the other side of the room

It may bog down to personal preference on play styles (up-close versus long-range), but if I recall, in some of the earlier entries, Zero was always meant to be more challenging to play as, than X. It's been such a while that I can't really compare Axl's play style, I just remember I hardly ever used him if I didn't have to.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

darealkooky posted:

This game seems neat and it inspired me to play it (on hard mode!) because I'd never heard of it before.

First things first, Digital Jello is right; Zero has always been meant as more challenging to play than X. However, there is more to him that we haven't gotten to yet; Zero has more to unlock in the shop than Axl or Zero. (In fact, as far as getting upgrades goes, Axl is the one that's left out; Zero has something we'll see later, and X has his capsules.) But yeah, Zero hasn't gotten the things that let him be really great yet. He gets extra weapons, one of which greatly improves his range. Each one changes his playstyle and moves, so once you start getting them, find the one that you're most comfortable with.

Also I'm happy I got someone to try it! If Hard Mode is too difficult at first, the game does have a New Game Plus so you can start on regular difficulty and go to Hard on NG+ with all of your upgrades retained. I'm fairly certain this is the intended method of tackling Hard Mode, and it's part of the reason why I'm so poo poo at the game right now; I'm used to having all of those upgrades.

The other part is that I'm just worse at the game than I remembered. :v:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

hard mode is actually really enjoyably hard outside of having to sit through the game giving me a poo poo rank because I ran out of continues and X having less than half the energy he does on normal mode. On top of just damage being higher (and I think enemy health??) it tweaks enemies so they're more aggressive.

as for zero I don't really agree that he's just "the skill character" because in previous games he tended to cut through actual levels like butter even if he struggled against bosses, while the sword soldiers in dark mantis's stage tore him (and everyone, really) a new rear end in a top hat and while X and Axl could just bomb everything from a distance he doesn't have the luxury.

I kinda assumed I just didn't get the thing that makes him instantly way more playable, because that tends to be how he works in every other megaman game I've played.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

darealkooky posted:

hard mode is actually really enjoyably hard outside of having to sit through the game giving me a poo poo rank because I ran out of continues and X having less than half the energy he does on normal mode. On top of just damage being higher (and I think enemy health??) it tweaks enemies so they're more aggressive.

as for zero I don't really agree that he's just "the skill character" because in previous games he tended to cut through actual levels like butter even if he struggled against bosses, while the sword soldiers in dark mantis's stage tore him (and everyone, really) a new rear end in a top hat and while X and Axl could just bomb everything from a distance he doesn't have the luxury.

I kinda assumed I just didn't get the thing that makes him instantly way more playable, because that tends to be how he works in every other megaman game I've played.

Hmm... Well, basically, there's a Rare Metal in Dark Mantis's stage that allows you to buy the D Glaive, which increases his range with his attacks by over two times. That pretty much solves his range problem, especially when combined with his special techniques. In addition, definitely use his special techniques ALL THE TIME. Rekkyoudan used properly pretty much negates most threats enemies have against him when they're not in range of his attacks (though this is different on hard mode, some enemies go from bullets to lasers which can't be deflected the same way I believe), Raikousen grants invincibility frames the entire time you're using it... and that's only the techniques I've shown off in the LP so far. In all honesty, as far as combat use, Zero's techniques are probably the most versatile of the three Hunters.

And yes, I actually really enjoy hard mode! It changes enemy attacks, alters their AI... in general I'd be much happier with it if half of it wasn't just 'you get less health and weapon energy and take more damage from some things, eat poo poo'.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 1, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

even the low hp thing doesn't really bug me because the two character system and specifically reviving your buddy by filling the combo meter makes you pretty survivable in spite of dying in 2-3 hits before you can afford hp upgrades

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you're playing on the pc, one of zeros moves can glitch the hell out because they never coded the game to interpret two contradictory directional inputs.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

yeah I am, that's pretty fun. you can also put in custom music because the tracks are just .ogg files in the games folder.

another quirk about zero I figured out is that they threw some devil may cry into this game and you can cancel stuff into other stuff so it leaves you less open.

wish I understood how the invincibility frames on bosses work though. sometimes I hit them a bunch and it doesn't trigger or they're only invincible for a sec, other times I hit them a few times and then the next 30 seconds has them become untouchable

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So, uh. Some of you may have been wondering at the lack of updates? This is because my capture card is absolutely TRASH. Every time I tried recording Inferno in the last week, I would encounter problems where I would suddenly lose several hundred frames in a few seconds. I finally managed to get a decent recording of the level, though, so expect a video in the next couple of days! While we're waiting, though... Booster Forest, Primrose, Pitch Black, or Troia Base? Next in order would be Booster Forest, but with Inferno done, we're finished with all the levels in the game that I don't consider all that great, so all of these next ones are ones I love.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Sticking with Booster Forest

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Start a Forest fire.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
Go to Booster Forest because that sounds highly explosive and explosions are cool.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Probably pointless at this point, but I'm putting in a vote for Primrose because I wanna see you deal with THAT part

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

darealkooky posted:

Probably pointless at this point, but I'm putting in a vote for Primrose because I wanna see you deal with THAT part

Why do you hate me?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Prythian posted:

Why do you hate me?

Ooh. I vote for Primrose as well now.

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"
This Primrose place sounds like my kind of level.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
Well I'd better jump on the :bandwagon: and vote for Booster ForrestPrimrose

I have been informed that rather than a democracy I live in the benevolent dictatorship known as "Being the Co-commentator". :shrug:

Rhiodise fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 8, 2016

Tales
Jul 5, 2013
Something something I wanted Primrose before it was cool something something funny joke.

...That's not accurate. I've never been funny.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rhiodise posted:

Well I'd better jump on the :bandwagon: and vote for Booster ForrestPrimrose

I have been informed that rather than a democracy I live in the benevolent dictatorship known as "Being the Co-commentator". :shrug:

Benevolent in that you don't have to live with any bad decisions the thread makes.

Primrose

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Screw democracy, all aboard the Primrose train!

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Looks like Primrose it is!

And while we're at it, here's an update! Dante's Inferno

Weapon Get

Axl got Flame Burner, which is... well, a flamethrower. It's not really all that special.

X got Melt Creeper. It's a wave of fire that travels along the ground; it'll go down ledges but not up them. The charged version shoots it behind and in front of X instead of just in front. He has to be standing on solid ground to use this.

Zero got Enkoujin. This is X8's version of his standard down-stab technique, only, y'know. On fire.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Burn Rooster has been kicking that control device for WEEKS. This is my headcanon.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Another update! This time we finally go to a boss stage out of order!

Shaking That Booty

Weapon Get

Axl got Spiral Magnum, which shoots much less rapidly than his other guns, but does more damage and goes through walls. Honestly? Not all that impressive, I don't really like it.

X got Squeeze Bomb, firing out a black hole. It's slow-moving, but deals damage to all enemies it touches. Charged up, it creates a very large vortex that annihilates enemy shots. Useful defensively I guess? It doesn't really suit my playstyle.

Zero got Juuhazan, which is a slash with a build-up time that smashes through barriers. This is... honestly not all that useful since we have the T Breaker now? EXCEPT: With the T Breaker equipped, Juuhazen becomes Dairettsui. It's still a powerful smash attack that breaks through barriers, but it has no charge time and thus is much faster. In ADDITION to that, we got the K Knuckle this video, which turns Juuhazan into Ganzanha. It's pretty much the same as Dairettsui in that it's a powerful guard-breaking move that has no charge time, but instead of smashing the ground with a hammer, Zero punches the ground to create a shockwave.

So, Zero's weapons. We now have the Titan Breaker, Kaiser Knuckle, and Bashou Fan. The B Fan only changes one of Zero's moves. Rekkyoudan becomes Zekkyoudan, and instead of just deflecting bullets, reflects them back at the enemy.

The T Breaker likewise only changes one move, Juuhazan.

However, the K Knuckle transforms SEVERAL of Zero's moves. In addition to Juuhazan, the K Knuckle changes Raikousen, Hyouryuushou, and Enkoujin. Raikousen becomes Raijinken, which has Zero dash forward and perform a powerful lightning-infused uppercut. Hyouryuushou becomes Shouryuuken... do I really have to explain this? It's a spinning ice uppercut. Enkoujin becomes Enkoukyaku, where Zero kicks in a diagonal manner downwards with fire.

Basically the K Knuckle turns Zero into a street fighter.

The K Knuckle is amazing, if really hard to use properly.

Anyways, now that I've finished gushing about the K Knuckle... we've got three stages left, and therefore only two votes left! Booster Forest, Pitch Black, or Troia Base?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This level was disappointingly devoid of flora considering its name. I'll vote for the Forest again in hopes of getting a more flammable stage.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I want the Forest, show me the Forest, give me the Forest

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Entire reason I voted for the stage didn't happen because of vile showing up.

Tales
Jul 5, 2013
...Ya know what, yeah. Do the forest. Burn (it) to the ground!

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Sorry for the delays, folks, life has been... difficult lately. However, I finally got a recording of Booster Forest! While I edit this and get it commentated within the next couple of days, I'm opening up our last vote: Troia Base or Pitch Black? If it makes a difference, boss order would be to go to Troia Base next, and then Pitch Black, but really it can go either way; at this point in the game boss weaknesses aren't as important.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Troia Base, so we can save the coolest maverick for last.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Well I've gotten the stage I wanted so I'm gonna flip a coin.

Coin says Troia Base and I'm not about to argue with a buffalo nickel that somehow made its way into my wallet

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Troia Base it is, then.

Anyways, we have a new update!

Ride Amour

Weapon Get

Axl got Blast Launcher! It's a grenade launcher. The grenades explode after a time. I don't like this weapon.

X got Green Spinner. It fires a single missile. It's fairly powerful, actually, if a bit slow. The charged shot fires the missile upwards, which then sends four missiles down from the sky.

Zero got Youdantotsu. It's a quick-fire dashing attack that can only be used on the ground, covers only a short distance... but it pieces right through enemy defenses.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I got to sit in on the recording for this episode. It's a good 'un :allears:

I've been waiting for Rhio's reaction to this boss since this lp started and it does not disappoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
X does seem to look like someone else with his color scheme.

I have no idea what they were trying to go for with Pandarainbow.

• Locked thread