Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
On Axl and breaking shields, it changes by gun. If I remember right...

The basic gun breaks shields with the blue shot. which is like every 5th shot or something...
The electric gun breaks shields in one shot, an effect shared with one other weapon we have not seen yet
Fire+Ice+Rock/Orb/bouncing guns cannot break shields ever, this is shared by three other weapons
The Magnum is weird and will not break shields, but I think it "goes through" them, so it still hurts them. (it might also just break them. It has been a while and I never used to use Axl...)

EDIT: Sorry, I was going by the list in the first post, and did not notice the most recent one.

Incidentally, the bomb is the other weapon that will break shields. It also is my least favorite weapon, for being slow, and not actually being much stronger than Axl's other weapons (still does half the damage of X and Zero's weapons against bosses, bonus for it being a slow weapon vs. a fast boss). AoE weapons in Megaman games tend to suck, especially when they start on the ground and have smaller hitboxes than you do.

I like Zero a lot in this game, because a lot of his weapons have great attack boxes against the boss that is weak to them, the exception being Bamboo Pandemonium, and the yeti, but to be fair, everyone's electric weapon kind of sucks range wise against the Big Fast boss. Zero's gives him invincibility frames when not using the knuckle, so you can make it work I feel.

Basic attack against Gigavolt Man-O-War is perfect considering his own mobility, Anti Air against the flying chicken, the wind-upswing against Earthrock Trilobyte, who sticks to the ground and stops a lot to attack...

It's nice that your special attacks aren't so rough to use vs their respective bosses like in X4,X6 and X7

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Gensuki posted:

On Axl and breaking shields, it changes by gun. If I remember right...

The basic gun breaks shields with the blue shot. which is like every 5th shot or something...
The electric gun breaks shields in one shot, an effect shared with one other weapon we have not seen yet
Fire+Ice+Rock/Orb/bouncing guns cannot break shields ever, this is shared by three other weapons
The Magnum is weird and will not break shields, but I think it "goes through" them, so it still hurts them. (it might also just break them. It has been a while and I never used to use Axl...)

I'm pretty sure I tried the Spiral Magnum on a met this video and it bounced right off?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But what if you fired it at some kind of equivalent to Sniper Joe? You can stick your gun past their shields and shoot them in the face, which you can't do for mets.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm feel like fireworks spawned from the missiles and gunpowder stuff in chinese warfare. But I'm not sure

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looked like enemy Ride Armor also get the kill move you do when you jump on enemies.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Gensuki posted:

I like Zero a lot in this game, because a lot of his weapons have great attack boxes against the boss that is weak to them, the exception being Bamboo Pandemonium, and the yeti, but to be fair, everyone's electric weapon kind of sucks range wise against the Big Fast boss. Zero's gives him invincibility frames when not using the knuckle, so you can make it work I feel.

Basic attack against Gigavolt Man-O-War is perfect considering his own mobility, Anti Air against the flying chicken, the wind-upswing against Earthrock Trilobyte, who sticks to the ground and stops a lot to attack...

It's nice that your special attacks aren't so rough to use vs their respective bosses like in X4,X6 and X7

Yeah, I went into this a little bit against Vile in Primrose, but almost all of the special weapons for X and Zero are really well designed for the bosses they're good against. Axl not so much? All of his weapons function mostly the same. That being said, Axl has some REALLY fun gameplay in my view; he's excellent for regular enemies and stages, even if he isn't so good against bosses. On the note of his Spiral Magnum vs more Sniper Joe-like enemies, there are two enemies I can think to test it on. One is the humanoid enemies with shields who... manage to defend against everything breaking through their barrier because they never put their shields down? So if it pierces that'd work well. The other one is the flying enemy with a shield in front of it. Both of those enemies have their hitboxes behind shields instead of just covered completely like Mets, so it might be worth testing.

Also, yeah, Ride Armor of any kind HURTS when it lands on something.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So I just watched the January 23rd episode and I have to say that I don't feel so bad about my Kingdom Hearts LPs, Prythian. My fight with Marluxia in Re:CoM HD with Sora doesn't seem so bad in comparison. In all seriousness though, I have been having a great time watching your LP and I am finally seeing a Megaman game that I might possibly be able to complete myself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
I apologize for nothing.

Circles of Hell

Weapon Get

Axl got Ray Gun. This is probably my favorite weapon of his in the game because it fires ridiculously, insanely fast. It also happens to be the best weapon for dealing with this particular level. Yeaaaah.

X got Shining Ray. It fires upwards and explodes as a firework. Decent range on the explosion? The charged shot fires like three of them. Not very impression.

Zero got Tenshouha. It's a giant laser firing around him when he punches the ground. It's powerful, is his only weapon to use energy, and he's, if I remember correctly, invincible during it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A thing that should be mentioned: The Cut Man fight is an easter egg that only shows up in the PS2 version if you have a MMX: Command Mission save on the memory card you're using.

And I always figured Zero was the best for this stage.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 7, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What can you do in the Cut Man fight besides eat his scissors?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Honestly? Not much. You don't get any rewards for beating him, he only has like... 16 hits, and he's weak to lightning attacks. It's worth noting that while KennyMan is right about him only showing up if you have a Command Mission save file on your PS2 memory card, in the PC version you just need to get all of the upper lights lit up by doing well in every simulation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"just"

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
EDIT: Sorry

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 8, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zain posted:

I'm feel like fireworks spawned from the missiles and gunpowder stuff in chinese warfare. But I'm not sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2NcPwsngU

The Korean hwacha is the first one I know of, though there may be earlier.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Gensuki posted:

Zero with the D-Glaive is also super great for these stages, but you don't have the skill that REALLY trivializes rooms. The long range+arc is great for hitting the parasite friends, and it kills all but like...3 of them in one hit, and aside from the giant one, kills them in two-3 hits.

:ssh: We don't have EITHER of those yet!

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Finally... the last Maverick!

A Stealth Mission

Weapon Get

Axl got Black Arrow. This gun fires homing shots, which stick to walls and can still hurt enemies even when stuck there.

X got Shadow Runner. It's a homing boomerang! If it doesn't hit an enemy, it returns to X and gives him back his weapon energy. Charged up, it fires three of them ahead of him, two behind... and they can hit twice instead of once. But it doesn't give back energy when it returns.

Zero got Rasetsusen. It lets him spin in place with his weapon in the air, and he can spin in various directions if you push the d-pad. It's pretty useful! With the K Knuckle, this becomes Senpuukyaku, which is... a spin kick! Yeah, basically the same thing.

However, we also got the D Glaive, or Durga Glaive. It's a very long-ranged polearm. The only move this changes is Youdantotsu, which becomes Renyoudan. It's basically six rapid thrusts at long range.

Next we'll be doing a collectathon video to get every collectable I've missed and buy all the shop stuff. If there are any requests for things for me to show off, please post now!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ah, the Rasetsusen.
Literally the most OP thing Zero ever gets.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sigma is really playing it low key this game. It is like he is not the main villain or something.
The boss does seem to use several of Sigma's attacks from earlier games. Maybe he was Sigma all along.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize that, six months later, there's pretty much no hope for a continuation, but I figured I'd ask anyway. It seems a shame to sustain through the first part of the game and fall down short when it comes to confronting Sigma.

Or, you know, whoever the rear end in a top hat in charge is (I will pretend it might not be Sigma).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Glazius posted:

I realize that, six months later, there's pretty much no hope for a continuation, but I figured I'd ask anyway. It seems a shame to sustain through the first part of the game and fall down short when it comes to confronting Sigma.

Or, you know, whoever the rear end in a top hat in charge is (I will pretend it might not be Sigma).

Do you want an answer, or for to be pointed to the other ongoing LP of X8 happening right now?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hopeandjoy posted:

Do you want an answer, or for to be pointed to the other ongoing LP of X8 happening right now?

Answer, really. I'm gonna spin that other one up in... a couple days I think? It's just, like, everybody brings their own thing to an LP, you know? Everybody's got a point of view. This was somebody who'd obviously invested a decent amount of time into X8 as a kid coming back to show off the bits and bobs for the Internet, and I'd be interested in seeing that no matter how many X8 LPs were out there.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Glazius posted:

Answer, really. I'm gonna spin that other one up in... a couple days I think? It's just, like, everybody brings their own thing to an LP, you know? Everybody's got a point of view. This was somebody who'd obviously invested a decent amount of time into X8 as a kid coming back to show off the bits and bobs for the Internet, and I'd be interested in seeing that no matter how many X8 LPs were out there.

*snip*

[Even for a thread without specific spoiler rules this was a bit much. -Jordan]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Glazius posted:

Okay, so, in the time since I... well, since I abandoned the LP, to put it bluntly, I have gotten a new computer, tried to see about moving, am STILL planning on moving... and honestly I was having recording troubles with the next section. However, I will set aside time on my next day off to retry recording again, and see how well it works on my new computer! ...if it doesn't work on my new computer and I would have to buy a new thing, there's not much chance of me finishing this LP. If it does, I might finish it just to say I did.

However, in the meantime, I have to really second the recommendation on the other X8 LP. It's REALLY good and honestly I think better than mine, a lot more effort put into it.

...also, while I realize I didn't have thread rules set down, hopeandjoy, if you could edit that post out, I'd appreciate it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There are always spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Prythian posted:

...also, while I realize I didn't have thread rules set down, hopeandjoy, if you could edit that post out, I'd appreciate it?

Lizard Wizard posted:

There are always spoilers.

Er, what I was asking was if this could be continued. And hey, I got that answer! Good luck.

• Locked thread