Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I had a 68881 math coprocessor board on my IIci that helped Excel finish matrix calculations in less than a tenth of the time it normally took.

It also helped any program that used SANE (Standard Apple Numerics Environment) of which there were a few

Remember accidentally brushing against the programmer's NMI or the reset button a lot then duct taping cardboard over it so it wouldn't reset unless I really wanted to

one time fixed a crashing IIsi by just switching the ADB keyboard, guy didn't want to admit he spilled coffee in it which was causing it to transmit spurious keyboard entries

IIci is gathering dust somewhere in a storage unit but still worked AFAIK

Also had the 8-bit Radius PrecisionColor 8-24X, and a SuperMac 17" CRT which was all the style for playing A-10 Cuba in the day, its fun to drop a nuke while sitting on the tarmac and see how far the cockpit gets thrown

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

error1 posted:

This thread is making me search for old powermacs on ebay and cl, dammit OP I didn't need this right now
Still have my Digital Audio G4 533 MHz with a Sonnet 1 GHz G4 board, the last thing I did with it was add an IDE SSD from Transcend onto it via an Acard SATA interface. Still have the original spheroid speakers but the rubber on them seems to have rotted off. Sheepsaver on my rMBP still blows it away in terms of raw speed though.

Also in storage, a UMAX C500e, ran Windows 95 under VirtualPC pretty good for an older machine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

if i had the choice between a g4 with a 1.8 ghz sonnet upgrade, and a 1.something ghz dual G4 (whichever was the fastest one), which should i choose

Maybe the 1.8 GHz because only the MP aware apps utilized the extra processor(s) in Mac OS 8/9

Only MP aware apps included Final Cut, After Effects, some media encoders, Cinema 4D could use the extra processor to any time savings

if you don't use any of those apps then the extra processor isn't worth the $$$

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

General Tofu posted:

wow, there's an After Dark Goon Edition?

fixed

Last mumble before the thread dies, the RAD750 is a radiation hardened version of the same CPU in the old beige G3 Tower Mac and has been to a comet (Deep Impact,) landed on Mars (Curiosity Rover) and one is on it's way to Jupiter (Juno.)

Not bad for a 200 MHz version of a chip.

• Locked thread