Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

How do you describe Halo?

Genre Defining? Perhaps. A landmark achievement in gaming? Possibly. One of the most popular FPS series now spanning 3 console generations? Definitely.

Halo is a popular, Long running First Person Shooter series with Seven entries in the main series. The first game, Halo: Combat Evolved, released on the 15th of November 2001, and the most recent release, Halo 5: Guardians, released on the 27th of October this year. There are also spin-offs including the real time strategy game Halo Wars, and 2 games appearing on iOS and Windows devices: Halo: Spartan Assault and Halo: Spartan Strike

Halo is a big and ridiculous Space Opera. You are (except for when you aren't) The Master Chief. You are the roughest, toughest Space Solider to have ever lived and you have been rudely awoken from a sweet napping session by some Alien gently caress and you are PISSED about it. So Pissed that you are going to find out who woke you up and KILL THEM ALL. Also as a solider you are directly involved with the War humanity is currently having with the Aliens so that works as a neat excuse. Of course there is much more to the plot than this but since we are going to be covering all of it in all it's glory I won't say much more. All I'll say is that it is mostly nonsensical and completely ridiculous. So, So Ridiculous.

There's a lot more to this series than just the games. There's books, Graphic Novels, An Anime Film!!, and even a TV Show. Hell, most people know that District 9, a big budget movie produced by Peter Jackson, was originally supposed to be a Halo Movie, but turned into District 9 when funding fell through. That being said when you watch the film, a lot of the weapons in it look oddly familiar

Look, I could go on and on for pages and pages about Halo and it's Expanded Universe. How it's probably single handedly responsible for popularizing Machinima and in turn caused places like Machinima.com and Rooster Teeth to exist. But I'm not going to do that.

This is a celebration, friends. I'm so well known at this point for covering cutesy mascot driven games where nobody really gets hurt that I'm sure a few people are surprised by this sudden change of tack. But the thing is:

VNDLP, The channel Myself and Vile run together is now over 4 years old. Not only that but by the time January rolls around, We will have been friends for 10 Years! 10 Whole Years! And because we met playing Halo 2, what better way to celebrate that than by playing every game in the series. (We are undecided on if Halo 5 will be covered or not, and we will do a one off on Halo Wars and possibly the iOS games)

So yes, I am doing this LP for selfish, self-indulgent reasons but please, don't get me wrong.

I definitely, love Halo.

Thread Guidelines

Be kind
Be considerate
Try not to post spoilers

Videos!

Halo Series Primer - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Halo: Combat Evolved

Part 1: The Pillar Of Autumn
Cut: [YouTube]/[Polsy] Uncut: [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Part 2: Halo
Part 3: The Truth And Reconciliation
Cut:[YouTube]/[Polsy] Uncut:[YouTube]/[Polsy]
Part 4: The Silent Cartographer
Part 5: Assault On The Control Room
Part 6: 343 Guilty Spark
Part 7: The Library
Part 8: Two Betrayals
Part 9: Keyes
Part 10: The Maw
Cut: [YouTube]/[Polsy] Uncut:[YouTube]/[Polsy]
Supplemental Video
Online Multiplayer: [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Halo 2

Part 1: Cairo Station

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaineWraith
Oct 30, 2011
Oh man, I loved these games when they came out, though I stopped around the fourth game. That includes the books too.

I would like to add another random fact on top of Vile's fact. Not only do you vomit up all that gunk when you exit cryo-chamber, you are supposed to enter it completely naked. Any cloth at all and you wake up blistered around where the clothes are.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
If you guys rip on ODST I will nerdrage so hard.

Best game.

Best soundtrack.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Please rip on ODST.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Please rip on ODST.

Blind Sally I love your LPs but I swear to god.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:v:

Bummed out you aren't playing on Legendary, but that's okay. I spent an inordinate amount of time playing the XBOX and XBOX360 Halo games, so it's great to see them getting some more love.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Commander Keyes with the new textures will not stop doing the Blue Steel look and I can't deal.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I don't see Halo Wars in that banner, OP

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

mercenarynuker posted:

I don't see Halo Wars in that banner, OP

It WILL be covered, dont you worry your pretty little head.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Hey, I just recently played this collection on a friends XBONE. I'd just like to mention that the Plasma Rifle is just useless in Halo 1 once you find out you can shoot the Plasma Pistol faster manually and with less cool-down.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

They say that Keyes pulled off the Magnum look just before the Pillar of Autumn's collision.
(I kinda miss the low-res version of Keyes that had the permanent gap in his lips where his pipe went)

Also hey I was kinda hoping post-halo2 games would get recorded. Can't wait.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 19, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, Halo. I remember being totally blown away by it on the P.C. version... But then the story went really stupid. I think Cortana's comment on the suit architecture meant that she could take direct control of the Chief's movements.

I think Halo's main influence on FPS's can be summarised as the following:

Rechargeable health, mêlée attack with ANY weapon, dedicated grenade button, two weapon system and a relatively smooth transition between vehicle and foot sections. No other FPS had these things before this game. Then everyone did, besides Half-Life 2.

Looking forward to how Cortana's model changes over the games. Oh wait, no. The other thing. Not looking forward to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just listening to that first cutscene I am already filled with regret that there is no uncut video to watch as well.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
You're welcome, Dex.

EDIT:

Cernunnos posted:

Witness as the AI hologram goes from fairly sensible to blatant sexual pandering over the course of this series.

Also this REALLY needs some uncut commentary or something.

From about half an hour ago:

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 19, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Samovar posted:

Looking forward to how Cortana's model changes over the games. Oh wait, no. The other thing. Not looking forward to it.

Witness as the AI hologram goes from fairly sensible to blatant sexual pandering over the course of this series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Please rip on ODST.

^^^ Is jackass. Have video proof if needed.

Cernunnos posted:

And then back to fairly sensible again :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

From about half an hour ago:

I can't help it, Named Black Soldier's voice acting was a thing of beauty and I wanted to supplement it with Vile losing his poo poo as usual.

Also, keep showing the old vs new graphics every now and then because I was watching this and thinking 'Wow, this game looks really loving good' and forgetting that it's remastered.

Edit: Sorry about making more work for you but I wanna say thanks for making this a Cut/Uncut LP! :shobon:

Edit 2:Oh wow there was some quality commentary going on in the intro. :D

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 19, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I really liked the Halo series, right up until Reach came out, and now it's pretty much a joke.

:colbert: ODST is the best Halo game, what are you people even talking about.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Well you are in luck because you can watch the Uncut version Right Here

I've updated the OP with the Uncut version and ALSO I will turn subtitles on for all future episodes. I'm not used to games where characters say words :V

RareAcumen posted:

Sorry about making more work for you but I wanna say thanks for making this a Cut/Uncut LP! :shobon:

It's no problemo friend :)

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 19, 2015

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
Going back to my first playthrough of Combat Evolved, I can recall shooting up the flood as my favorite part of the game, it was just pure savagery. I am looking forward to this LP as a whole, I have this underrated love for the Halo series that keeps resurfacing.

Noob question: Whats the difference between the Cut and Uncut?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Skypizza posted:

Going back to my first playthrough of Combat Evolved, I can recall shooting up the flood as my favorite part of the game, it was just pure savagery. I am looking forward to this LP as a whole, I have this underrated love for the Halo series that keeps resurfacing.

Cut videos will have muted commentary during cutscenes.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Skypizza posted:

Like Tofu Survivor said, Cut and Uncut refers to the Let's Player's commentary over cutscenes. The reason the option is offered is so people who want to better experience the game can have the cutscenes uninterrupted, while people who have played (or don't care about the game) can keep listening to the Let's Players' commentary.

Also some Let's Players are just plain good at commentary and/or comedyjokes and people want to keep hearing them.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Why would you play the 343i Halo remake instead of the Bungie original? :(

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Sue posted:

Why would you play the 343i Halo remake instead of the Bungie original? :(

They're literally the exact same. So much so that all Dex would have to do is press a button to play the "original." And he did, once.

Well, unless you count the absence of Marathon symbols to be a difference.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
12:37 Can't believe you let that grunt live. Now he will tell all his little grunt buddies he survived a battle with the chief, and then he'll be praised as a god among grunts.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Great LP guys. Put me in so I can bore you to death with pointless halo trivia, both in universe and about the game.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Man I just remembered from when I was a turbonerd and read the Halo novels that Spartans are such fine-tuned supersoldiers that they can speak to each other via micro-expressions, tiny bits of body language that simple humans cannot perceive.

God those novels.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

tlarn posted:

Man I just remembered from when I was a turbonerd and read the Halo novels that Spartans are such fine-tuned supersoldiers that they can speak to each other via micro-expressions, tiny bits of body language that simple humans cannot perceive.

God those novels.

Once I heard Blue Team would be in the game, I was wondering if Olly Olly Oxen Free or the Spartan Smile would show up before H5 released.

I was pleasantly surprised.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
John 117 killed an ODST by accident after receiving the implants and augmentations. I remember the part where it describes him dropping the little key that goes in the weight machine and it seemed to take a lot longer to get to the ground thanks to his super human senses. It's so great because it's basically Warhammer 20k

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Tofu Survivor posted:

They're literally the exact same. So much so that all Dex would have to do is press a button to play the "original." And he did, once.

Well, unless you count the absence of Marathon symbols to be a difference.

343 Industries felt the need to add several new cutscenes that awkwardly retcon Halo 4 plot points into the old trilogy.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Sue posted:

343 Industries felt the need to add several new cutscenes that awkwardly retcon Halo 4 plot points into the old trilogy.

Really? I played through the whole of CE Anniversary fairly recently and have no memory of any awkward additional cutscenes. Then again it has been a long long time since I played the original CE front to back.

Can you give an example of the extra cutscenes? If you can I will make sure to point out the differences when the time comes, but I won't be swapping to the original permanently for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, you can't deny that the textures are 100 times better than the original which has not aged well at all. I will swap back every now and then to show just how much better it looks by comparison.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm fairly sure an LP of the original Halo:CE already exists and I thought it would be nice to show off the anniversary edition for the people that may have seen that LP already

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
The only thing I dislike about the new version of CE is the fact that they redid most (all?) of the voice acting, and it's strictly worse in every way.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Dex01 posted:

Really? I played through the whole of CE Anniversary fairly recently and have no memory of any awkward additional cutscenes. Then again it has been a long long time since I played the original CE front to back.

Can you give an example of the extra cutscenes? If you can I will make sure to point out the differences when the time comes, but I won't be swapping to the original permanently for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, you can't deny that the textures are 100 times better than the original which has not aged well at all. I will swap back every now and then to show just how much better it looks by comparison.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm fairly sure an LP of the original Halo:CE already exists and I thought it would be nice to show off the anniversary edition for the people that may have seen that LP already

He's talking about the Terminals they added. Which I would argue isn't actually changing the core gameplay, so technically it doesn't even have any bearing on the subject of playing the original.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The most impressive thing about seeing Halo 1 is how little things have changed since then, mechanically speaking. Big budget FPSes from this year are still basically just Halo:CE with slightly different guns, same button mappings and everything.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

megane posted:

The most impressive thing about seeing Halo 1 is how little things have changed since then, mechanically speaking. Big budget FPSes from this year are still basically just Halo:CE with slightly different guns, same button mappings and everything.

Aren't modern big-studio games wonderful

It's why I'm glad there's now a big indie scene for videogames, and it's gotten especially bigger this year.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
My biggest gripe with anniversary collection, Combat Evolved specifically, is in the marsh level where you first encounter the Flood, and all the covenant there are freaking the gently caress out. 343 hosed up and replaced the AI's permanent fleeing status with a normal patrol status. So you get this horrible mishmash of covenant who are scared shitless of horrible monsters, but they're still coherent enough to actually attack and use tactics against the Chief. It was one of the nicest touches in the intro to that level and they hosed it up. :catbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

My biggest gripe with anniversary collection, Combat Evolved specifically, is in the-

There's no spoiler policy in the op, so before I comment on this (And how much I love that level), is it cool to just discuss spoilers openly, or should we treat this as an introductory LP for anyone who may not know Halo? (I.E. don't talk about poo poo until it happens)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i heard from the video description that i can talk about guns and aliens in this thread?

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

There's no spoiler policy in the op, so before I comment on this (And how much I love that level), is it cool to just discuss spoilers openly, or should we treat this as an introductory LP for anyone who may not know Halo? (I.E. don't talk about poo poo until it happens)

Totally forgot to add a spoiler policy in the OP, oops. But with regards to The Flood, it's probably ok to talk about that since I showed them already in the series primer video. So as long as you don't go into big plot specific things you should probably be ok

Edit: OP is now updated to include Thread Guidelines, please consult them if you begin to feel yourself becoming lost during your visit to this corner of The Web.

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dex01 posted:

But with regards to The Flood, it's probably ok to talk about that since I showed them already in the series primer video. So as long as you don't go into big plot specific things you should probably be ok

I didn't actually watch the primer since I've followed the series from the beginning... :blush:

I did just watch it, though, and it's good! It also reminded me that Halo 4 and Halo: Reach are two different games, which I had completely forgotten about :eng99:

But anyway, I'll save most of my gushing for the level in question, but one thing that I always really, really liked about that level is that the whole game up to that point, you're Big Bad #1. The enemy freaks out when they see you, grunts run and scream, elites roar and charge, even Hunters take pause. You're the loving Demon, and they know that they're probably going to die by your hand... then the Flood comes along and they don't even have one single gently caress left to give about you, because the Flood is just. that. scary. You may be the demon, but Satan himself has taken the field and he's reaping some goddamned covenant souls. I love that level so much, and the rest of the campaign after it just reinforces that fact. You are the scariest man in the entire UNSC army, but you are just one man, and the flood is legion.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 21, 2015

• Locked thread