Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They really wanted a sniper level for some reason, so they start the level with far, far more ammo than you can actually pick up for the sniper. As for the question of whether the AI can kill things, the AI is loving dumb as poo poo and the best thing to do is just move quickly enough that the AI never actually sees an enemy.

Ways to make the dumb game go faster: that grav lift wave fight is best dealt with by planting a grenade in the middle as the wave falls and then hit the elite with a couple of extra bullets and clear it instantly. Basically any weapon works on the elites so just stand right next to them and walk in a tiny circle then shoot them once with the pistol. When you're in that second big fight room where you have to open the door so the marines can follow you through, you can just trick the covenant into opening a side door and move on without having to do the fight or save the idiot marines. The next big fight room with the hunter skull door can be skipped, along with a big chunk of the level, by doing a great big grenade jump to get yourself up to the top level without having to do any of that fighting poo poo or taking the long way round. In the keyes lockup, you can hit the button and then get that healthpack before the cutscene starts because they're still jabbering. That big grenade jump also has the effect of making the level end early, in that room with the cloaked sword elites. If you shoot the marines, keyes will hate you and skip the dialogue there too, ending the level as soon as you kill the elites. Just gotta stay far enough ahead that he doesn't grenade himself in an attempt to get you, which he likes to do a lot.

As for lore poo poo RE covenant society, my understanding is that it's basically a caste system. They're not actually slaves but the grunts (and other, unseen squishier friends) are treated like poo poo and just sort of take it because that's what the gods demand or something.

Also, of all the new graphics that annoy me I think it's the sword which is the worst. gently caress that noise, the old shiny one was super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Y'all are nuts, Under Cover of Night is an amazing track and super appropriate for killin' aleins and not afraiding of anything. :colbert:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I would've accepted "Powersuits are really expensive to make so we're going to make sure the people who wear them get the most use out of them," but "the suit's a walking OSHA disaster" works too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's both, actually, if I remember right. The suits use recharging energy shields that were only very recently reverse-engineered from Elite armor, which consequently makes them expensive as all hell.

And that, in turn, lead to the creation of the SPARTAN-III Program, which aimed to create more child super-soldiers for less.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Regalingualius posted:

It's both, actually, if I remember right. The suits use recharging energy shields that were only very recently reverse-engineered from Elite armor, which consequently makes them expensive as all hell.

And that, in turn, lead to the creation of the SPARTAN-III Program, which aimed to create more child super-soldiers for less.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the presence of fully mature SPARTAN-IIIs during the Battle of Reach kind of a big retcon to previous fluff?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it may have retconned a few things from the novel, but it's been years and I don't have the book on hand to check.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

Tarezax posted:

On Keyes somehow understanding Covenant speech: Cortana is tracking Keyes by his brain implants, and has no trouble understanding Covie communications herself. Presumably there's some translation software in Keyes's brain chips.

That or he picked up the whole thing from the grunts, they do speak English in this game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Casualty posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the presence of fully mature SPARTAN-IIIs during the Battle of Reach kind of a big retcon to previous fluff?

Again, if I remember correctly, it went like this (spoiler'ing just in case):

First generation: Every single one of them dies on their "big debut" mission.

Second generation: Very marginally better; only two out of the entire squadron survive.

Third generation: The ones who show up in the "present-day". They're all supposed to be young teens, but... I guess they relaxed the recruitment requirements for being enlisted into the program even further? :shrug:

It's been ages since I last followed Halo EU stuff, so I'm fuzzy on details like that.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Second generation: Very marginally better; only two out of the entire squadron survive.

Third generation: The ones who show up in the "present-day". They're all supposed to be young teens, but... I guess they relaxed the recruitment requirements for being enlisted into the program even further? :shrug:

It's been ages since I last followed Halo EU stuff, so I'm fuzzy on details like that.

SPARTAN B312 (hereafter referred to as Noble Six) and the rest of NOBLE team were all hand picked by Kurt (one of the survivors of the SPARTAN II program, Spartan 051) before Operation: TORPEDO went into effect due to their stellar performance during training. Six went off to be a lone-wolf assassin, a wetwork man for the UNSC as well as a Sabre test pilot while the rest of the chosen SPARTAN IIIs went off to form NOBLE team. As a result of this, the only surviving SPARTAN IIIs were all of NOBLE team, plus the two survivors of TORPEDO--Tom and Lucy. Six would later meet with NOBLE team for the first time on Reach to replace their lost comrade just before contact with the Covenant.

Following the Battle of Reach, the only remaining SPARTAN IIIs were Jun, who left NOBLE team to look after Doctor Halsey, and Tom and Lucy, who were not present on Reach at the time.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 20, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Samovar posted:

Wow, the age behind the level design is really showing in this game.

That's not entirely fair: Truth & Reconciliation (and its redux later on) was pretty lovely in 2000, too!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Halo games are fun to play on Normal mode (and sometimes Heroic) because you get to run around punching aliens and shooting lots of them and shooting bullets.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
If there's one thing Halo's hunters aren't, it's men; they're gestalt worm clusters. They also always show up in mated pairs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Halo games are fun to play on Normal mode (and sometimes Heroic) because you get to run around punching aliens and shooting lots of them and shooting bullets.

How to have fun with Halo Reach:

1. Play on Easy (Because gently caress it, there's no extra cutscene)
2. Run into a bunch of Covenant guns blazing
3. When you're close enough, NONSTOP PUNCHING
4. PUNCH A HUNTER IN THE BACK BECAUSE YOLO

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Regalingualius posted:

Johnson is a spartan-1

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Johnson is a spartan-1

I should've clarified: Those are generations of Spartan-IIIs (which the protagonists of Reach are part of). Yes, they went through three entire generations of the S-III program with a ridiculously high mortality rate.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ah right, I misunderstood. Halo lore really likes to make itself complicated.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

MooCowlian posted:

Ah right, I misunderstood. Halo lore really likes to make itself complicated.

Also, 7s.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Also, 7s.

Halo 4 comes after Halo 3. 4+3=7

:aaaaa:

BUNGIE!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are seven main Halo FPSes.

H1
H2
HODST
H3
HReach
H4
H5

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Tofu Survivor posted:

SPARTAN B312 (hereafter referred to as Noble Six) and the rest of NOBLE team...

Hey guys, try not to post spoilers for upcoming games. If you do, please put them under the spoiler tag!

Thanks!

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Vilemoon posted:

Hey guys, try not to post spoilers for upcoming games. If you do, please put them under the spoiler tag!

Thanks!

Oh poo poo, I feex. I didn't think to spoil the last bit since most of what I said is covered in supplementary sources and not directly within the game itself. For now I just tagged the stuff you learn while playing the game, but I'll tag more of it if you want.

vvv Oh, looks like we got a wise guy partypooper over here.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 21, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tofu Survivor posted:

Halo 4 comes after Halo 3. 4+3=7

:aaaaa:

BUNGIE!

It comes after reach.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There are seven main Halo FPSes.

H1
H2
HODST
H3
HReach
H4
H5

Kingdom Hearts 3 is the 13th game in the series.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Waffleman_ posted:

How to have fun with Halo Reach:

1. Play on Easy (Because gently caress it, there's no extra cutscene)
2. Run into a bunch of Covenant guns blazing
3. When you're close enough, NONSTOP PUNCHING
4. PUNCH A HUNTER IN THE BACK BECAUSE YOLO

I enjoyed playing Halo Reach on both Normal and Heroic.
Except for that faux-stealth level that happens at night.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

In order to stop the Covenant from utilizing the untold power of Halo, we gotta find the control room! But in order to find the control room, we gotta find the map to the control room, which we will be doing on this weeks update: The Silent Cartographer. Which as it turns out, isn't so silent after all!

Part 4: The Silent Cartographer
Cut:[YouTube]/[Polsy] Uncut:[YouTube]/[Polsy]

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So what you're saying is that in the future, every house has a Soylent tap instead of a fridge?

Anyway, an important gameplay/lore question: Where the hell does Master Chief keep those rocket launcher reloads?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow, that version of the Halo theme with the guitar loving sucks.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The reason invisible elites are so easy to kill is because they don't have shields! I'm sure there's a lore reason for it, but for whatever reason only visible elites are shielded in the first game.

Edit: And you guys were speculating that some invisible elites are easier to kill than others? That's because you're using the pistol, which has locational damage! Some of them you were dropping easy with headshots, others you were plugging away tons of shots into center mass.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 1, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Samovar posted:

Wow, that version of the Halo theme with the guitar loving sucks.

Good thing that it is because i got lost on the way out of that stupid place and had to listen to it for a long while.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If you asked me what the overarching theme of Halo is, I'd have to say it's "people chattering over comms about a big operation while you try to salvage it on the ground". Like, sure the music is pretty good, but the brilliant part of the sound design is Cortana's constant updates in your ear. This ties in really well with how the music is orchestrated, and maintains a sense of urgency even as you wander aimlessly through a million billion loving trillion identical loving corridors gently caress THIS GAME IS GARBAGE AAAAAAUGH!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The problem with that grenade jump is that it's an awkward platform. Frag grenades in this game have a bigger explosion radius, so you'd probably have missed it less using one. I think you can stop it bouncing off by just throwing it straight down at your feet rather than at an angle, but that sometimes feels inconsistent to me. I guess you could bounce it into place by heading in at an angle out of the door too. Plasmas are easier to place and very abundant, but they do less damage and don't push as hard.

As for other notes, you can actually get to the map building faster by turning around and heading in the direction of the skull as soon as you leave the pelican, leaving the marines to die like they should. There's a warthog halfway along and it's quicker than waiting through that fight and then waiting for the hog to land. When you get inside, you can drive the warthog right down to the bottom and fling yourself through the door before it locks, or use weird hitbox intersections to bump you through the window or the door, and probably a bunch of other ways of getting in I've never actually seen. From there you can jump right to the bottom, hit the button and do a crazy six grenade stack including sticking a plasma grenade to your foot to get back to the top again in seconds.

I'm not very good at explaining all that, but if you want to see someone smash their way through this level, watch this video for about a minute from the timestamp. It's actually the second fastest time on the leaderboards for this level, but the fastest time is a twitch recording of a screen capture of a windows media player replay of a local recording of an offline run (speedrunning :v:) so it looks especially awful and I linked a good timestamped youtube video instead.

Also, I just went and looked back at the OP again, and I noticed you mentioned maybe looking at the iOS games. In case you weren't aware, they've got steam ports. There's no mention of covering the best halo game either, which concerns me greatly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As well as Marathon and Oni, Bungie also made the Myth series of RTS games. It's where the Siege of Madrigal song in the Halo series originally comes from.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I self-righteously blame your awfulness at grenade-jumping on your slightly disparaging remarks towards old-school FPS. And my introduction to the world of FPS being Doom and Quake 2 absolutely, certainly, most indubitably has nothing to do with this judgement, no sirree.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Hey just a quick update here to let you know this LP is not dead! I wasn't able to record anything until late last week and after that I wasn't home and therefore unable to use my computer. Unfortunately there will also be no updates this week either as Vile is babysitting his nephews who are both delightful bundles of joy and absolutely have never thrown a spanner in the works many times before this with regards to us recording commentary because they are so impossibly loud :)

Oh yes also Vile will be returning along with the next update! The wonderful JordanKai and Tubofun both graciously accepted to stand in for Vile whilst he was unavailable. This was not ideal and I actually debated just putting the LP on hold indefinitely until he was able to come back but as we've barely made any progress on the first game I decided to press on with rotating guests.

As to the reason why he was unavailable: Vile had a potentially very serious health issue come up in the last few weeks that had both of us very worried. I shan't say anymore as it is not my place and it is up to him if he wants to talk about it or not but the important thing is that he has been given the all clear and will be joining us moving forward into the foreseeable future!

And that's everything that's been going on behind the scenes. As usual real life rears it's ugly head and does it's best to make it hard for me to get anything done but I am determined to see the end of this LP happen come hell or high water.

In closing: please look forward to the return of regular updates next week. You all have one more Halo free week. Use it wisely.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
No worries, take your time. Glad to hear everything is ok, looking forward to seeing more Halo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hey mangs, take yer time. It's not as if Halo's gonna go anywhere without you two.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Hey mangs, take yer time. It's not as if Halo's gonna go anywhere without you two.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you put a Halo on a slope, would it have the structural strength to roll off without breaking apart? What would that be like for the people on its surface?

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

Last video was all about finding the map to the control room, so it stands to reason that this one would be dedicated to actually getting to the control room. If you thought that, you would have been correct! It's time to get in there and shut this all down for good.

or is it??

Part 5: Assault On The Control Room
Cut: [YouTube]/[Polsy] Uncut: [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 25, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
AotCR was one of the better Halo levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh come on, Reach and Halo take place at almost the same time! The Pillar of Autumn was fleeing the fall of Reach when it finds the Halo. :spergin:

Also, Assault on the Control Room is notable because it is the easiest level to show off two separate fun glitches. Dex mentioned stealing a banshee and skipping to the end, what he didn't mention is that you can do it before that bridge. You can, in fact, do it as soon as you get the tank! And doing so causes the enemy glitch, in which enemies stop spawning. The game spawns enemies each time you go through a checkpoint area. For whatever reason, if you skip a checkpoint area, (by, say, stealing a banshee and flying up to a bridge that you're supposed to have to take an elevator to get to normally) each checkpoint it loads after that will not load enemies. So once you steal a banshee and fly up to a bridge, the rest of the level contains no enemies at all.

The second glitch is a personal favorite of mine, this guy does it by leading a banshee around by the nose, I used to do it by opening the door, jumping in a ghost, and flying it at the door right before the cutscene starts. The explanation for this one is simple, all Halo 1 cutscenes are done with the in-game engine. If you can trick the game into allowing a hostile enemy or a moving vehicle into a cutscene, it can kill Chief and you get to watch Cortana talk to a corpse. :v:

• Locked thread