Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah it's easy to figure out Some Magic Bullshit, but never touch on Netero's systemization and training methods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oh jay posted:

This page has always irked me. The announcer tells the audience (and the reader) that "aura" is definitely a real thing, and it what's being used in this fight, and presumably, all Heaven's Arena fights.

Seemingly everyone knows that superpowers are real, whether it's from aura, chakra, ki, or nen. It's secrecy is patently absurd.

Knowing that it exists is different from knowing how to use it. Teaching people to use is the only thing particularly secret.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Knowing that it exists is different from knowing how to use it. Teaching people to use is the only thing particularly secret.

yeah i suspect the popular belief would have to be that it’s a special power for a chosen few, not that literally anyone can learn it in a few intensive sessions during a stressful boat trip

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf they’re gaming the system, although I guess there are a number of Nen abilities you could hypothetically use like Kurapika’s weird little dolphin Stand that force the target to interact with nen without the part where your limbs/mind explode unless you’re built different.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
someone deliberately developing a nen ability to awaken nen in others is highly plausible. but well, that's not very dramatic and it would clash with the setting to make nen commonplace so that's out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Awakening nen in others doesn't even need a specific ability. Wing opened Gon and Killua's pores just by using Ren on them. The same is true of the hazing that happens in the Heaven's Arena, the only difference is the skill and intent of the user in question. So the reason I think most abilities we've seen that awaken nen in others do so as a side effect; is because it's not something that people really need to commit too. And on top of this just awakening people still means they have to further train to utilize it, it's not like being awakened instantly gives anyone mastery of Zetsu, Ren, Ten, or even Hatsu. In fact the opposite is true, just opening someone's pores can cause them to be virtually crippled until they gain the hang of at least ten.

Gaining Hatsu is another hurdle because it's more involved. Of the 2 abilities so far that can accomplish this they both come at steeper costs. Pouf's Cocoons can give someone an ability, but it takes a day at minimum and longer depending on the target leaving them immobilized. It was also the product of a creature born simply better than the average human nen user by a large margin who had two other abilities that are equally potent. Morena's Etude of Darkness can give someone Hatsu within a shorter time-frame but the cost is killing other humans which itself draws attention to the activity and it has a cap as to how many people it can influence at any given time.

But I think the main point is that we haven't seen a nen ability that lets someone cheat out of learning the fundamentals. Without that you get Morena's crew; many have great powers but most we've seen only work in combination with others and they are losing most of their engagements because their opponents are competent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kind of wild that you can pay all thet money to see a high level arena fight and then one of the contestants murders the whole crowd

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They probably signed a waiver, it seems like it’d be really easy to die from collateral damage even if you weren’t being used as fodder for a sociopath’s attack.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

uh has it been that long since a chapter we've forgotten about the murder dungeon lady who's power is actively awakening people? Sure it requires a few kills, but

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

someone deliberately developing a nen ability to awaken nen in others is highly plausible. but well, that's not very dramatic and it would clash with the setting to make nen commonplace so that's out.

Both Pouf and Morena already did that.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Why develop a nen teaching ability when you could just punch people in the gut like Rammot?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oh jay posted:

Why develop a nen teaching ability when you could just punch people in the gut like Rammot?

See: Heaven’s Arena

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If they were main characters, they'd come out fine tho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New live action YYH trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xbLSKZUck

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

The lighting looks better than the costumes.
Guessing it's not supposed to take place in the late 80s / 90s for condensation sake.
Odd aesthetics overall.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Weird to condense it all into a giga dark tournament arc. Also means they only really have Sensui as S2 material.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
HxH is getting a fighting game made by Eighting

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/12/bushiroad-games-and-eighting-announce-hunter-x-hunter-fighting-game

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:hellyeah: Eighting has a decent track record so I'll be really interested to seeing what they put out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For people who don't have the context to understand, it's the Marvel vs Capcom 3 people. So expect mechanical insanity and hilariously gross top tiers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lore accurate

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So Netero, the Royal Guards, and Meruem should be the most powerful characters.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes just like UMvC3 where interdimensional demigod Dormammu is mid and in the top we find characters like uh, a, a guy called Spencer, who has a… a hook rope on his arm I guess

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
finally, it is squala's time to shine.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I really want Kite to be playable as I'm a huge sucker for RNG based characters. But Eighting is going to have to probably make up all his remaining slots unless Togashi is involved and finally reveals which slot is the "I get to reincarnate" one. Chrollo might have some similarities to Asuka from GG Strive who also uses a book filled with different pre-set abilities

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Do you bother adding Leorio? I guess he does have one nen technique?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 16, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If he’s an Emitter he can probably do wimpy hadoukens too. And I guess since his telescopic fist thing (did that ever get a name?) is meant for his job it’s probably multifaceted even if we only saw him use it to punch someone.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I never play fighting games but this could be good. Mostly I'm just craving anything HxH

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't care about fighting games either but if this is roughly equivalent to UvMC3 and has the 2011 anime VAs then it's a day 1 purchase.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tonpa ends up on the S-Tier banlist.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

I don't care about fighting games either but if this is roughly equivalent to UvMC3 and has the 2011 anime VAs then it's a day 1 purchase.

YUP!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

No Wave posted:

Do you bother adding Leorio? I guess he does have one nen technique?

Leorio is god tier due to his one nen technique assist setting up a braindead high/low unblockable which most characters can OHKO from.

Meurem is trash tier because although he can, like, everything, he needs his chess powerup install super to do it and using it means you miss out on a mixup opportunity sitting still and doing a super that does nothing, and lose a meter, which altogether probably just lost you the game instead.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 16, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope for accurate Knuckle as a character.

With aura debt and everything, so he does not deal damage but instead just adds debt that eventually shuts down the other character.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want pre-Nen and post-Nen characters to be separate playable characters. Fishing Rod Gon would be more fun than Rock Paper Scissors Gon, imo.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The one time in history Genthru has the possibility of being an interesting character.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Razor's gotta come in with 14 assists

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I would assume that Heaven's Arena is treated like reverse-wrestling.

Is it all an act? Maybe. How did they do that? Well, it was an aura boost. What the gently caress is an aura boost? Look, just sit back and enjoy the bloodsport.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
"Wow, high level martial arts are craaaazy" - average Heavens Arena and also 21st, 22nd, and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai spectator.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

"Wow, high level martial arts are craaaazy"

this is literally true in both cases though

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Argas posted:

I would assume that Heaven's Arena is treated like reverse-wrestling.

Is it all an act? Maybe. How did they do that? Well, it was an aura boost. What the gently caress is an aura boost? Look, just sit back and enjoy the bloodsport.

To a degree we've seen that people are vaguely aware if not accepting that psychic powers exist. With all the other weird stuff that exists it's just another day if some kid can lift an entire cement block from the arena floor with a fishing pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope for accurate Knuckle as a character.

With aura debt and everything, so he does not deal damage but instead just adds debt that eventually shuts down the other character.
As an upperclass fightinggame affecionado, I think this would be cool and would work to snowball a run into a win, but would also put him solidly in low tier, as these delayed-reward mechanics usually pale in effectiveness to good ol’ ”get a hit and do a combo to deal damage now immediately”. For examples see

- Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 with his ’get three clues for Turnabout super mode’ thing. In practice: When you get a hit, instead of getting the kill, surrender your turn to pick up clues, then get mixed up and killed because you gave away your momentum.
- Viewtiful Joe UMvC3 had a cool slow super which you could follow with a 50/50 high-low mixup for the kill. However *waves arms at entire cast* could just get the kill in one combo instead.
- FANG in SFV with his poison mechanic. The damage has to be low because poison is boring, and FANG has to have shittier tools to compensate for his poison mechanic existing, so bad character does boring mechanic that does poo poo damage. Yay!
- AKI in SF6, now her poison mechanic is fun instead as double poison causes a burst that extends your combos, but it means AKI needs to do two combos to land her poo poo while I need to do 1 combo.
- Manon SF6, she sucks even though her stacks persist between rounds
- etc

The only good example I can think of is MvC2 storm’s entire gameplan which was unintended: run away into the air and build meter so I can chip you to death with my bananas super. For Knuckles to work I think the game would need to be not all one-hit-KOs, and Knuckles would need to have really good air mobility to keep away.

EDIT: OOOOH there is one REALLY GOOD AND FUN version of this actually!! In One Punch Man the fighting game, if you pick Saitama (One Punch Man) he is immortal and kills everyone in one hit. However, he is 90 seconds late for the fight! So you need your 2-man team to survive 90s against a three-man team. This could be super cool - if Knuckles lands his debt super, he leaves the fight, but your entire team wins after 60 secs.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 21, 2023