Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The thing about Knuckle is that he also doesn’t take damage until the debt is repaid. Pretty much he’s a character that tries to stall to a timeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Knuckle has a linked HP bar to the opponent and each hit he lands lowers the timer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Brought To You By posted:

To a degree we've seen that people are vaguely aware if not accepting that psychic powers exist. With all the other weird stuff that exists it's just another day if some kid can lift an entire cement block from the arena floor with a fishing pole.

afaik it's not like Heaven's Arena is the top level martial arts tourney or anything, so while it's sort of a big deal, it's not like it's the most important thing out there that everyone pays attention to. I mean, the fact that nobody after the arc knows who Gon and Killua are despite their climb up the ranks kind of shows how much it's not that big a deal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Argas posted:

afaik it's not like Heaven's Arena is the top level martial arts tourney or anything, so while it's sort of a big deal, it's not like it's the most important thing out there that everyone pays attention to. I mean, the fact that nobody after the arc knows who Gon and Killua are despite their climb up the ranks kind of shows how much it's not that big a deal.

Well Gon and Killua did not take part in the actual Tournament.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Gon and Killua did not take part in the actual Tournament.

Sure but if it were a big deal, they'd be at least a deal due to becoming notable in the arena at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've always generally assumed that Weird Powers Exist is a generally accepted thing but that they have a shared universal constant is not, and the shared universal part is a necessary step to go from "Maybe I can do a weird trick" to "I can specifically modify and control what I do." Like Killua is still absurdly fast and strong even without intentional nen manipulation but he needs to have actual practice and understanding in order to go from "I am strong" to "I can generate electricity and block pressure."

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I mean, magical beasts exist and are implied to have rights and people see the hunters do crazy poo poo all the time, so I imagine that people have a mental category for "stuff we don't know how it works" in the HxH universe.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What nen type does Santa have though

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

oh jay posted:

What nen type does Santa have though
"Santa" is probably a group of people operating a very complicated ability that has to mark households, mark children in those households, determine if children have been naughty or nice, and create a nen clone with a red sack that also conjures a present according to the nice/naughty verdict. But Santa himself is probably a conjurer in this whole thing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I mean, magical beasts exist and are implied to have rights and people see the hunters do crazy poo poo all the time, so I imagine that people have a mental category for "stuff we don't know how it works" in the HxH universe.

I've been watching the anime and Youpi is said not to have any human in him, but instead magical beast and it's still rather intelligent

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I've always generally assumed that Weird Powers Exist is a generally accepted thing but that they have a shared universal constant is not, and the shared universal part is a necessary step to go from "Maybe I can do a weird trick" to "I can specifically modify and control what I do." Like Killua is still absurdly fast and strong even without intentional nen manipulation but he needs to have actual practice and understanding in order to go from "I am strong" to "I can generate electricity and block pressure."

Yeah, weird poo poo being a thing is generally considered commonplace, but since you have, among other things, the kinda weird/silly potential scenario where nen abilities manifest without the user being able to see nen because they didn’t spec into punchmans it’s not a huge surprise that they haven’t been connected.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://youtu.be/oIEYoLbw3qo

Bushiroad had an event a few hours ago and Hunter x Hunter Nen Impact was revealed with a teaser (the fighting game)

no actual gameplay

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Wave posted:

Do you bother adding Leorio? I guess he does have one nen technique?

If I had my way, Leorio would be the main character in the manga, he's the GOAT.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

https://youtu.be/oIEYoLbw3qo

Bushiroad had an event a few hours ago and Hunter x Hunter Nen Impact was revealed with a teaser (the fighting game)

no actual gameplay

I really don't want another tag fighter. But that trailer is really leaning into a 3v3 setup.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If I had my way, Leorio would be the main character in the manga, he's the GOAT.
Leorio rules and his absence from large chunks of the story is still my main complaint with Togashi as an author.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He wouldn't even need to write fights around him, he's a doctor. Make him the team healer who has to patch everyone up after they get brutalized by the bad guys.

Kurapika's fine but I was really hoping the succession arc/dark continent expedition would be Leorio's time to shine.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I like Leorio and all, he’s a bro, but I’d think legitimately less of Togashi if Leorio postponed his dream of being an affordable doctor to play Greed Art Online or gently caress around with Chimera Ants. Leorio’s thing is being the one normal person who just wanted the surface level stuff a hunter license gives and not an insane person who signed up for a death tournament (Gon) or someone who was just so above curve that the exams didn’t represent a significant threat to life or limb (Killua, Hanzo), and actually got the license, and went on to do not-insane person things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think leorio has to be absent during the current arc or else he'd at least try to stop kurapika's fabulous bad idea extravaganza. most of the people around kurapika believe (incorrectly) that he has his poo poo together because he's so confident.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be happy enough if they just cut away for a chapter or two sometimes to show him getting pissed off at having to do normal stuff like laundry

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Unironically a good use case for cover stories.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd be happy enough if they just cut away for a chapter or two sometimes to show him getting pissed off at having to do normal stuff like laundry

Good as the Succession War has been, this is genuinely one of its worst flaws. Even just half a chapter of the ten he puts out every 4 years dedicated to Leorio's doctor shenanigans in the lower decks would be massively appreciated.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Leorio rules but he would have died badly during Chimera Ant stuff and it would have hosed up Gon and Killua even worse. Leorio could have been real fun in Greed Island but the timing wouldn’t work for him since he was doing his doctor stuff.

Also his return to the story bring him immediately punching some dead-beat dad who’s kid didn’t even have bad vibes or was unpleasant to be around is perfect.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think leorio has to be absent during the current arc or else he'd at least try to stop kurapika's fabulous bad idea extravaganza. most of the people around kurapika believe (incorrectly) that he has his poo poo together because he's so confident.

The thing is, I remember Bill even realizing that Kurapika's plans are just a patch at best and giving other people Nen is going to be a problem in the long run. But nobody else has a better plan to stave off Oito and Woble's assassination so here we are. On top of that people like that one maid have covered Kurapika's rear end like how she took the phone call with the third prince over the others because Kurapika doesn't understand the dynamics of the royal family. Leorio doesn't have the mind or knowledge to make that situation any better save likely helping Oito relax a bit more.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I like Leorio and all, he’s a bro, but I’d think legitimately less of Togashi if Leorio postponed his dream of being an affordable doctor to play Greed Art Online or gently caress around with Chimera Ants. Leorio’s thing is being the one normal person who just wanted the surface level stuff a hunter license gives and not an insane person who signed up for a death tournament (Gon) or someone who was just so above curve that the exams didn’t represent a significant threat to life or limb (Killua, Hanzo), and actually got the license, and went on to do not-insane person things.
While I can understand this sentiment (and even partially agree with it), the problem now is Togashi's created a great opportunity to have his cake and eat it too. He's on the same boat as Kurapika. People are dead, cursed with nen, or risking their lives in a ship-spanning, cross-class power play. There'd be a lot of wiggle room for Leorio to pop in on the plot every now and then, acting as coroner, treating victims, and so on. I bet he's great with kids, which several of the princes are. He's no fighter, but he developed a nen technique to help him diagnose people, and who knows what else.

And he's had like a single panel and a single chapter cover page of screen time ever since they got on the boat. I'll accept his absence from Greed Island and the Chimera Ant arc, fair cop; Kurapika was absent for both of those two. But now he's here, and feels like he could easily be slotted into the preexisting plot. You wouldn't even need to throw him in with Kurapika (who he probably would talk down from most of his bad ideas), the conflict already spans the whole ship.

And yes, I am aware Togashi is a man with legendarily bad back problems who is nonetheless a successful writer (I am not) and artist (I am not) who will continue to impress me with his work whenever the next chapter comes out, and who am I to yadda yadda yadda. I'm just saying, even when Leorio is right there, he seems to have some difficulty involving him, and I'm not sure why that is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh nah, post-Succession Arc I agree with you, they made the man a Zodiac and he should have more relevance presently than “none at all, legit forgot he was on the ship”. I’m willing to just kinda roll with it with Togashi’s crippling health issues and all, but I can’t deny it’s a weird problem that shouldn’t exist.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've been watching the 2011 anime and the bit where Leorio is running with his top off at the start, my wife said "I gotta control my thirst". I married a patrician.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

She single?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel that once we move past the succession stuff and onto the Dark Continent, then Leorio would have a bigger presence.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

What do you think Bill (Temp hunter) is up to right now?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Re watching 2011

loving Pike the Spiderperv, he's so fully revolting. What a master stroke of horror character design.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think pike has a lot of manga archetypal "gay pervert" features (see Pri pri prisoner and Okama island for the shared visual traits I mean), which is really not typical in this series. But its the one fanservice fight in the entire series where Shizuku gets disrobed so I guess its kind of nicer for him to have zero interest in her? (I havent watched the anime.)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
No. This post is not about any HxH related news.

Yes. It is once again about the The manga that updates once a year. Enjoy a one page joke and have a nice day.

I am not sorry.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The other day I wanted to reread some scenes from Yorknew, so naturally I reread all of it, and Greed Island, and up to Kite's death in Chimera ants.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

oh jay posted:

The other day I wanted to reread some scenes from Yorknew, so naturally I reread all of it, and Greed Island, and up to Kite's death in Chimera ants.
Well now that you're close you can't stop before the spiders attack the ant nest. My favorite stretch is the stuff right after gon and palm's date where killua becomes the main character.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

No Wave posted:

Well now that you're close you can't stop before the spiders attack the ant nest. My favorite stretch is the stuff right after gon and palm's date where killua becomes the main character.

I think I hated the Knuckle, Shoot, Palm stretch. The arc was building so much momentum and then Gon and Killua's arc completely stops while they do this little training sidequest.

Maybe it will be better now that I know how it's all structured.

And I agree. The Spiders vs the Ants is hype.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think the long middle part makes sense because it primes you to get ready for a traditional shonen resolution, following the fairly straightforward shonen setup. Then you get to where the shonen climax is supposed to happen and everything turns inside out and you feel sick to your stomach by the time it's over

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Hunter x Hunter is coming back!

In shoe form!

Official collab with Reebok incoming

coming March 22nd

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think the last time Reebok was popular was when the first anime was coming out, so I guess that tracks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'd like seven pairs of leorios please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

leorio and kurapika got snubbed. The shoes from left to right are apparently Netero, Killua, Gon, "The Hunter Association", and Hisoka.