Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silver2195 posted:

I liked the Adult Gon thing, but introducing a limitless genie character to erase most of the consequences was bullshit.

Yeah. I was kind of miffed they pulled the healing card (literally) after Gon got his hand blown off by the Bomber. It isn't as if he wouldn't be able to do crazy nen poo poo sans a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I would have been alright with it if it didn't take another ten episodes for any of them to loving die. That whole thing with Pouf making the contest just made me want to pull my hair out.

They were wasting time when they were basically already dead. I thought it was great.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It gave the and of the arc a really very down, depressing, and inevitable feeling. It was great.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The relationship between Meruem and Komugi was the best part of the Chimera Ant arc, and the slow deaths really helped sink in the unavoidable tragedy of the situation.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Adult Gon?!?!

I should finish this show

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

I liked the Adult Gon thing, but introducing a limitless genie character to erase most of the consequences was bullshit.

Though it wasn't as bad as it could have been, since Gon still ended up with weaker powers.

It also helps that Alluka is a great character. Also, I might be remembering this wrong but I think that her powers are supposed to be related to the Dark Continent, so there might be more follow ups on what exactly is going on there. That's if we ever get more chapters.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the dark continent is never ever ever ever going to happen just give up

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I WANT TO BELIEVE

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hey man, Guts actually made it to the island. Anything actually can happen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

An awesome rear end in a top hat voiced by Ryu Beelzebub the 3rd Hiroki Takahashi.

His full name is Pariston Hill and once you get what the joke with the name is you can't unsee it :twisted:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All these posts are good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so will gon end up having a totally different nen specialization when this manga never ever continues?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gon's out of the story completely: Leorio and Kurapika are the main characters now.

Well, probably not, but I'd respect Togashi if that happened (assuming anything ever happens ever again). Gon loses his nen forever and is just a normal kid with no potential now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wouldn't mind that either. He got to meet dad, so his main objective is done. His character arc is basically complete, he started all of this Hunter business to find dad, now he found dad, and even got to bond with dad despite dad being an rear end.

Would give the perfect chance to focus on Kurapika too, considering his character arc hasn't moved at all since Yorknew.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

dad says he can probably train to get it back and, while ging is a total loving rear end in a top hat jerk, i really really doubt he's wrong about much of anything ever

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Would give the perfect chance to focus on Leorio too, considering his character arc hasn't moved at all

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he punched ging in the face he's already achieved heights unimaginable to mere mortals

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Yeah, Leeorio is one of those types I'm fine with being mostly static. For the most part he knows who he is and he tries to do the right thing. Why gently caress with a good thing, especially when his current nature leads to him inadvertently helping pariston troll the entire hunter association

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NecroMonster posted:

dad says he can probably train to get it back and, while ging is a total loving rear end in a top hat jerk, i really really doubt he's wrong about much of anything ever

When did Ging say that? All I remember is him saying he'd become "normal", as in unable to use or see nen, like a normal person. He still has an aura, it's just not particularly powerful. Again, like a normal person. And then this was immediately followed by a discussion of his education, implying that he wouldn't be doing hunter stuff anymore.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm okay with Leorio being more or less static but the downside to him lacking any sort of arc (or rival or whatever) is Togashi seems to use it as an excuse to not include him for huge swathes of the story. His defining goal is something he's mostly been taking care of off-screen, so he ends up feeling very underutilized compared to the rest of the cast.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The thing that's bugging me is what hisoka's arc is supposed to be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gon needs some power back at some point if only because it screws with Hisoka's arc that he's powerless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Assuming we ever get to the Dark Continent, they'll probably find something that can restore/recharge nen.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lol, yeah, gons dad suggests gon needs to go to normal school and learn his maths

"your normal now gon, time to study for a STEM degree!"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

finally, we will learn what hunter times hunter equals

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

His full name is Pariston Hill and once you get what the joke with the name is you can't unsee it :twisted:

I don't even understand how this is something you could unsee. Its blatantly obvious. Do people not know Paris Hilton anymore?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

lol, yeah, gons dad suggests gon needs to go to normal school and learn his maths

"your normal now gon, time to study for a STEM degree!"
It's important to have a Plan B when your son loses his football scholarship.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

I don't even understand how this is something you could unsee. Its blatantly obvious. Do people not know Paris Hilton anymore?

Who the gently caress is Paris Hilton. Is she Perez Hilton's sister or something.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

like yeah, that's where the name comes from, but it's not actually funny because it doesn't mean or reference or subvert or surprise in any way shape or form it's just a silly name

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gin spelt backwards is goblin.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This will probably start being reanimated the same season we get Chihayafuru 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

When did Ging say that? All I remember is him saying he'd become "normal", as in unable to use or see nen, like a normal person. He still has an aura, it's just not particularly powerful. Again, like a normal person. And then this was immediately followed by a discussion of his education, implying that he wouldn't be doing hunter stuff anymore.

He even said that Gon was lucky to have gotten back to normal and that he should take it and that asking for more is going to result in bad stuff happening. (Which is true if Killua did not have Alluka, Gon would be dying in a bed.)

Killua has also seperated from Gon and is going his own path with his sister/brother (Who knows what the deal is there.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

He even said that Gon was lucky to have gotten back to normal and that he should take it and that asking for more is going to result in bad stuff happening. (Which is true if Killua did not have Alluka, Gon would be dying in a bed.)

Killua has also seperated from Gon and is going his own path with his sister/brother (Who knows what the deal is there.)

Sister. Alluka says she's a girl, Killua refers to her as his sister, she's a girl.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Sister. Alluka says she's a girl, Killua refers to her as his sister, she's a girl.

His brothers called Alluka brother. And his parents called Alluka an it.

Anyway I am fine with accepting Alluka as a girl.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

His brothers called Alluka brother. And his parents called Alluka an it.

Anyway I am fine with accepting Alluka as a girl.

That's because they don't see Alluka as a person, or even at all. She's all Something/Nanika to them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alluka is biologically male but identifies as a girl and all her family refusing to refer to her as a girl is just to underline how poo poo they are to her and how Killua is like the coolest brother ever. I think that's the take you're supposed to get out of it anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I identify Alluka as terminally adorable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Eej posted:

Alluka is biologically male but identifies as a girl and all her family refusing to refer to her as a girl is just to underline how poo poo they are to her and how Killua is like the coolest brother ever. I think that's the take you're supposed to get out of it anyway.
Was about to say, that's what I got out of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually think Alluka works as an interesting character and not just as a plot device (as written off by other people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Alluka was a walking retcon plot device but was still good cause she was adorable, and it's not like they couldn't expand on her more later. I don't really like the idea of just blaming her power (or anything mysterious in the series) on the Dark Continent though, that seems really lazy.

Also I cringed when she kept asking for the fingernails. What does she even do with those?