Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yorknew was the best arc because Kurapika got to kill some of the Phantom Troupe. The only bad part was that he didn't kill off more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Much like their earlier development in the Yorknew City Arc, as well as in the Greed Island Arc, I'm pretty sure that stuff is there to show that they're people and not just one-dimensional villains. That's one of the things I love about HxH. One-time villains actually do non-villain things when they're no longer the antagonists, and the main "good" organization, the Hunter Association, is shady as gently caress, what with the license being literally a license to kill and such.

I can understand this, but everything surrounding the Phantom Troupe just came off as so awkward when it came to this, that I can't really enjoy them after Yorknew. It's made a lot worse because we don't see Kurapika develop after that for pretty much an eternity.

Of course, I hated the Chimera Ants so much that I was actually rooting for them because they were at least something different. That's how much I hated the Chimera Ants.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, the fact that his transformation actually had gravity to it and (presumably) live-changing consequences makes me forgive the way it was solved. As long as Gon never, ever does it again.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love the sudden nuke. Hunter loves to build up some big fight and then resolve it in an unexpected but strangely satisfying way, and having the biggest baddie be killed by a nuclear weapon is both unexpected and immediately understandable. It's tragic and kind of hilarious. If that was the end of the arc it would have been a bit of a let down, but there was still so much to get to after that and it all took on a different tone. Really great stuff.

I would have been alright with it if it didn't take another ten episodes for any of them to loving die. That whole thing with Pouf making the contest just made me want to pull my hair out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Alluka was a walking retcon plot device but was still good cause she was adorable, and it's not like they couldn't expand on her more later. I don't really like the idea of just blaming her power (or anything mysterious in the series) on the Dark Continent though, that seems really lazy.

Also I cringed when she kept asking for the fingernails. What does she even do with those?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

The really weird thing is Kite being reborn, since the body wasn't eaten, as we saw. Pitou made him into a puppet and that was still around well after the Queen was dead.

I thought they scooped his brain out and fed it to her or something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I think the problem was power creep. Meruem and the royal guards were all way too powerful to keep around with the possible exception of Pouf, the worst guard. (I known that isn't much of an argument coming from an anime that takes its cue from Jojo with tactics + power type being more important than power level, but stay with me here.)

We had four 2nd/3rd tier ants force half the Phantom Troupe into using their trump cards to be beaten. Meruem beat the most powerful nen user alive. Gon had to do unprecedented poo poo to beat one of them, and it cost him basically everything he worked for up until that point.

The only people we know of that could probably threaten Pitou after Netero dies were the Zoldyck father/grandfather and a healed Chrollo.

I've got a bunch of problems with the Chimera Ant arc, and this is one of them. Of course, after this is all over, Togashi made the exact same mistake he did with Yu Yu Hakusho and bring in a ranking system, complete with making the King a B rank.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So I watched one of the movies with a few friends (had to do with dolls and eyes and whatnot) and it was probably the most pointless thing I ever saw. Is the other one like that?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, the clear worst nen ability was Cheetu's crossbow. The projectile was slower than he is, and the claw, while possibly having extra qualities, probably wasn't much more dangerous than his own nen-enhanced claws. It, at least for the person who had it, is possibly the most useless thing we've seen from nen.
I'm still not sure what "the projectile is slower than he is" part really means. I mean sure, that's a con, but it's still a projectile you can use to your advantage.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mikl posted:

Thanks to this thread I started watching Hunter x Hunter 2011. (I've already read the manga.)

I'm on ep 14 right now, and I'd forgot that during the Hunter Exam Gon was super pumped that he would get to fight Hisoka during the steal-the-numbertags part. That's... That's not really a good thing, Gon... :stare:

I remember Gon being terrified of having to go up against Hisoka, not pumped.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Knuckle having a number-based ability is like the opposite of what his character would normally have in this sorta thing, so he is a real cool dude. Also, he's like if Josuke and Okuyasu from Jojo raised a kid together.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I figure the idea is how committed each nen user is to their limitation. If you kept switching what it was every fight, your ability would never be as strong as it could be, because you always have in the back of your mind that you'll just change your mind anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm pretty sure it'd be the latter, otherwise that would mean neither party could hurt each other ever again until someone bust.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Then you have Gon's mother being Mito's sister in 1999, while in the manga she's a complete mystery (not really a change for the worse so much as something that didn't really add anything).

Are you sure about that? I thought Ging was Mito's brother, and that would mean...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Alder posted:

btw: does this make Gon a orphan? His history is now 10x sadder if true and his dad is the worst.

I don't think so. Mito was literally his mother for his entire life, she just didn't birth him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

In retrospect those were kind of some bad fights, at least by HxH standards.

That section was so weird, since the Phantom Troupe seemed to have trouble with ants that seemed weaker then the ones the main story was focused on. It made them look pretty incompetent in general.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It really goes back to the root of the problem for me, I really didn't like that the Chimera Ants used Nen like everyone else, and ended up being much better at it within days then people who spent their whole lives doing it. It really didn't lend well to the system they spent so long developing, and just turned it into power levels.

Though really, it was a bigger problem that they lasted as long as they did. The exact same stuff could've happened and their downfalls could be seen as "lack of experience", but that excuse doesn't work that well when they have like, thirty episodes to dick around in.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, remember that Kite alone took out a bunch of ants with one swing of his scythe. Even the Squad Captains like Leol were no match, and they were aware of that.

Having nen just leveled the playing field, and non-Royal Guard ants still dropped like flies against the major players of the arc.

Yeah, this is true, I just really disliked how long these characters lasted when they were so utterly uninteresting. Other than a couple, all the Chimera Ants under the royals were just about being rebellious and eating humans. It got grating after the second episode they were in, so by the time we even got to the Royals I was absolutely sick of them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

And also, what ultimately killed the Ant King was a nuke, not Nen or martial arts but a weapon made from human science. So, no matter how strong the Chimera Ants mastery of Nen is, they would still get annihilated if they tried to attack say, one of the V5, instead of a backwater dictatorship or a hippie commnune. I think Togashi made some sort of point there.

I don't know if having the ability to nuke themselves is really the best defense. This only really worked because the King hadn't left the country yet.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Alluka's entire existence is a pretty big retcon, but since she ended up being her own character instead of just a plot device, I can mostly let it slide. Killua's backstory makes a bit less sense now because of it, but I don't think it matters that much. His character is more about his development now, and not really about his past.

Serious Frolicking posted:

The consequence of Gon's stupidity is that he really hosed up his relationship with Killua. Not irreparably, but they would only have a chance to patch things up if the manga continued. So, their story ended in a very bad place with no chance of it ever improving.

I thought by the end they had already made up. They're going their separate ways now because Gon had a single goal that he accomplished, and Killua wants to do some soul-searching of his own.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Definitely thought the Dark Tournament arc was the best, cause it had things like Genkai beating up a clown. Some of the fights are pointless (and by most I mean the evil doctor one) but there was a bunch of great stuff happening in that arc. Sensui started off strong but lost its steam once Kuwabara got kidnapped and was cursed with never being useful ever again, and the climax (demon Yuzuke/split personalities) was the most obvious case of jumping the shark I can think of.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe the power of Morel's ability is due to the fact that using it will almost certainly give him lung cancer.

I assume he can control the smoke and thus make it not do... like, bad stuff, I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think it was the opposite, Gon was so beyond pissed that he wasn't allowing for any of her bullshit. Considering he cut her time by half an hour because of the interruption, I'm pretty sure he knew the entire time she wouldn't take the whole two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009