Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ha ha ha ha ha ha Cell and that other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/read?articleId=21031481&bbsId=G005&itemId=67

Here's this fancomic and a lovely translation because I love this stuff.

quote:

"What a view."

"A fight between the greatest nen master and a monster that stands at the peak of all creation..."

"A battle of this magnitude isn't something that happens everyday."

"The winner..."

"Will become my prey."

"My, my."

"To think that he'd use the Rose."

"For someone who's supposed to be the greatest nen master..."

"The ending was quite dismal."

"Well, then, victory..."

"Goes to me, the sole survivor."

HISOKA, VICTORY BY DEFAULT!

"Where's the palace?"

"It's to the North, your majesty!"

"In your current state,"

"You should be able to arrive there in 15 minutes!"

"Zetsu"

"My, my."

"Looks like the Rose wasn't enough to take him out."

"He's the perfect opponent for me."

"Now, let's begin."

"Well, I've gotten rid of my fatigue."

"Let's begin the hunt."

"It's difficult to find a toy of this caliber..."

"What a pity."

"Well, what's done is done."

"Time to find a new toy."

"One that I can defeat at my own leisure."

WHAT HE STRIVES FOR IS AN ASSURED VICTORY.
THE REASON WHY HE IS "THE STRONGEST."

HISOKA GRADES THE ZODIACS.
NEXT CHAPTER, WILL HE FINALLY BATTLE A POWERFUL OPPONENT?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah.

Also Koreans like to believe that Tonpa is actually the true Vice President.

Cause Sir Tonpa = Sir Ton Pa = Ris Ton Pa = Pa Ris Ton = Pariston.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tonpa is pretty much like Higuma (the mountain bandit from One Piece) in that they're both weakass characters who show up and then people like to create these joke theories that they're actually strong. Here's one.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/family/217/read?articleId=13262896&objCate1=&bbsId=G005

Not translating the SFX.

quote:

"It's too early!"

SCREAMING

"Wait just a while longer!"

"Silence!"

SCREAMING

MORE SCREAMING.

"What is that...?! Where is the King? Why is there a human?"

"Hey, Koruto, look at that."

"I think the King's already dead."

"One wrong move and we're goners too. Let's just stay still for now."

"This way, Vice President Tonpa."

"We are here to serve you."

MINION 1
VICE PRESIDENT OF HUNTER ASSOCIATION (FAKE)
PARISTON

MINION 2
CAT EMPEROR
GOREINU

MINION 3
BACK DOOR WATCHMAN
LIN SEN

"Hm."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

What do you think about teenagers?

Fuckin' students and their vacations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

That joke doesn't even work here since school apparently isn't compulsory.

Talking about teenagers in general.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Morau's hella cool.

Most versatile nen power, yeah!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dude can scout, create soldiers to fight for him, create prisons to lock enemies out, create boats to stay afloat, create copies of himself, create ropes to tie enemies up, and more!

Meanwhile that guy from the Nostrad family made like 12 paper dolls that got shredded by Franklin's hand bullets.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

To be fair, Morel's a single-star hunter so he's really a cut above like 99% of the scrubs who've somehow managed to procure a license.

That is one of his least impressive scenes.

"Awww yeah let me bulk up and then get intimidated by a kid."

I really like characters like Morau and Goreinu. Side characters but they leave an impressions.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I fuckin' loved ED1. So wild.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tonfa posted:

:yeah:

Knov also rules. He got spooked but when you've got a job, you do that job.

The anime did a really good job of hammering in how terrifying Knov's job was, and the sheer anguish and terror and anxiety that the poor man went through.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

ED 1 > ED 5 > ED 3 > ED 2 > ED 4

Okay I just listened to all 5 EDs in a row and I can verify that Mod Seafood's list is objectively correct as all hell.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually, I might (ever so slightly) switch ED 2 and ED 4 around but that really depends on my mood.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why the hell does Togashi have to be so good at writing manga? No one would give a gently caress if some mediocre scrub had his release schedule, but Togashi's stuff is great and I always want more.

Well, Togashi presumably is allowed to have his release schedule because of how loving good he is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, I mean, he's loving good at drawing / planning manga and the people at SJ know that, which lets him get better contracts than other authors. At least, that's how I've seen it.

I dunno the details behind his illness or whatever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder what it would like to be Togashi's editor.

Call him up every 6 months.

"Hey man you feel like knocking out a chapter sometime this month? Okay, I'll call you next year then."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

I don't even understand how this is something you could unsee. Its blatantly obvious. Do people not know Paris Hilton anymore?

Who the gently caress is Paris Hilton. Is she Perez Hilton's sister or something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I identify Alluka as terminally adorable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I always feel a bit of sadness for bit characters who get killed off.

Like Ponzu and Pokkle from the Chimera Ant arc. Especially Pokkle. Incredibly hosed up and brutal way to go.

Or Schwala (or whatever), the dog guy who got beheaded by Nobunaga. Especially after that dude sets a ton of death flags like "this is my last job" and "I'm gonna marry my girlfriend."

Or Bodero (or whatever), the only guy to get killed in the final part of the 287th Hunter Exam.

It's sad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I'm still mad about Gotoh.

Same.

It's hosed up that Gon and Killua embarked on this adventure to save Kaito, then Gon had to be healed, then Killua saved Gon while losing Gotou along the way, then Kaito turned out to have been reborn.

So Gon got Kaito back but Killua lost Gotoh.

:(

Granted, Killua doesn't know Gotoh's gone.

But still.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know who I want to see? Hanzo.

Hanzo was legit one of my favorite characters from the Hunter Exams. Competent yet dorky.

I want to see what his nen power is. I love that bald badass.

Asuron posted:

No one should go out the way Pokkle did. What Pitou did to him was just horrific.

Yeah, I was honestly hoping he could survive but we all know that was never gonna happen.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I don't think Gon's evil or anything, but he doesn't really have the same moral compass as, say, Leorio, who's easily the only character you could call 'good' among the main 4.

Gon's generally nice, outgoing, and kind, and he doesn't really discriminate against people. Or, rather, against anyone. Which is what makes him so uncanny in people's eyes. Gon's less about good and evil and more about curiosity and friends. Zeppeno (or whatever the former forger's name was) pretty much noted that Gon didn't judge him for being a former crook; he just wanted to know about the cool forgery tricks. He'll go out of his way to save people, but he doesn't really judge or hate people for being murderers, unless it affects his friends. Hence he doesn't really appear to care that the Phantom Troupe are murderers beyond the superficial "murder is bad" thing, but he does get angry with them over the fact that they killed Kurapika's clan. Same goes for the Bombers in Greed Island - Genthru and his buddies killed a ton of people, but Gon doesn't really bear any enmity towards them for that, unlike Goreinu, who's flabbergasted at the thought that Gon would use a card to heal a mass murderer.

Though, granted, a lot of that has to do with the world that they live in. As Killua himself points out to Goreinu, he himself has killed a ton of people (though Killua was raised that way, and has avoided killing ever since Gon and co. helped him get away from his family). Plus, the people that Genthru killed were Hunters, and Hunters should be prepared to die in the line of duty. Though I'd argue that it still doesn't make it any better.

His selfishness and stubbornness and utter lack of fear aren't portrayed as good - his fight against Genthru makes Gon appear fuckin' terrifying. Dude loses a hand and can't even talk, but powers through all that. A normal shounen character would be seen as determined, but Gon comes off as monstrous instead.

It's a nice contrast that Gon starts out being the more humane one in comparison to Killua, but by the time the Chimera Ant arc has ended its utterly reversed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

He shows up on the boat only to die, like Pokkle.

gently caress YOU.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Paris Hilton immediately redeemed on account of inspiring a cool character.

No loving way. Is that what happened? It's been a helluva long time and bald ninja dude was a legit cool guy. But then again, so was Gotoh. :(

Dude's joking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

Remember the nen arrow guy who got chumped hard by some scrub tier chimera ant? Lol. Rip.

Pokkle.

We talked about him a few posts up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty cool how early on pretty much everyone seemed to like Gin (Sacho and Kite spoke highly of him, Razer respected him, and the other creators of Greed Island might have complained about him but still considered him a friend) and then we get to the Hunter exams and everyone considers him a nuisance.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, they've never met.

TRIGGER WARNING: lovely QUALITY

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I am Gotoh.

Gotoh Hell Mod Seafood.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Must be fuckin' terrible to be a Korean.

You wake up, leave your apartment, then get in a bus, toss your wallet or your phone onto the sensor because that's where you keep your transportation card (or a bank card that doubles as one), and then stand in a bus waiting to die (also known as going to work).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Being a Hunter is probably way cooler than being Korean.

I wish I was a Hunter.

I'd show up in a chapter as a background character, reappear 100 chapters later in the background again, then die 10 chapters later among other background characters,

gently caress yeah.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Relin posted:

Yeah but much of the time you're worried something is going to prolapse your intestines. Even the cooking ones probably face death on occasion

Given the world of HxH, you're apt to face death anyways.

Might as well have to tools to defend yourself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a side note, Blacklist Hunters tend to have lovely performances.

You have...
1. That guy during the 287th Hunter Exams who claims that Jones (the guy who got his heart ripped out by a nen-less Killua) is his greatest catch.
2. That guy who works for the Jolly Dicks, who got beaten up by Canary, who was like 10 years old, even with like 100 dudes backing him up.
3. Bushidora, the Single Star Hunter who gets killed by Hisoka without even getting a proper fight scene.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Youpi is the most underappreciated royal guard.

How is he underapprciated?

Like, everyone with a brain knows that it's Pitou -> Youpi -> Pufu

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

Well, Ging's an rear end in a top hat so it all checks out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TWIST FIST posted:

This is the actual biggest tragedy in the entire series, not a single time did he get the big fight he wanted. First Kastro turns out to be a big disappointment, then his own schemes screw him out of the fight with Chrollo, then while trying to fix that he misses out on the entire Chimera Ant arc which had among other things Gon at his strongest. Sucks to be Hisoka lol

But what if....

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hisoka doesn't count. Chrolli could talk to him.

And yeah I love how restrictions and poo poo work with nen.

Frankenstein Spider cut off his fingers cause he felt that they would make his finger bullets more effective, and while the act itself didn't do anything the fact that he believed that they would to the point that he willingly mutilated himself did make his nen stronger.

It's amazing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mango Polo posted:

I would read/watch a series about Hisoka on a quest to restore Gon's nen.

Hell, not just Gon.

Everyone.

Hisoka embarks on a heroic quest to ensure that Gon and Chrollo can use their nen powers again. On the way, he finds even more people in need of help. For the sake of the ultimate battle! To ensure that he can fight everyone, Hisoka must first ensure that they can fight at all.

Featuring Hisoka as the protagonist and Tonpa as Hisoka's sidekick, with guest appearances by the Phantom Troupe, the possessed corpse of Kastro, and Hanzo.

OP and ED by Avril Lavinge, featuring Jam Project.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The palace invasion is still some of the coolest poo poo I've seen in a shounen anime. I love how they actually did something cool with the whole Frieza Time thing and picked apart every second of a battle that lasted a few minutes at most. It would get annoying if this is how things were usually handled, but hearing the play by play on such a complex fight was awesome.

Yeah, I loving loved how they played out literally second by second, the thought process that went on inside everyone's heads when Zeno unleashed his Dragon Dive, the emotional turmoil, and so on.

It's especially good in the Yuupi fight because they're literally fighting to stay alive long enough for Knuckles's power to take effect, so every loving second counts. The hunters don't really have any chance of hurting the King or the Royal Guard, so it's all about winning through unique conditions and biding for as much time as possible. They focus on running and hitting, grabbing attention, trickery, smoke illusions, etc.

It's amazing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh Snapple! posted:

Tangentially related, I still love Zeno just completely losing any will to stick around when he sees Komugi :unsmith:

Killua fails to achieve anything against Netero, vents by killing 2 random dudes taking part in the Hunter Exam.
Zeno accidentally hurts someone, is sad.

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Makes sense that a dude who kills for money would not enjoy killing someone for no money.

It's called professionalism.