Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is a test of both their resourcefulness and latent talent. if nothing derailed the process it would almost certainly result in the selection of an excellent heir. unfortunately, the spiders, kurapika, hisoka and beyond are all present so the competition is hosed.

It's a battle royale between 14 different participants, who all have preexisting relationships with each other (friendships or rivalries or vendettas) and have different objectives (some want to win, some just want to survive) as well as wildly different interpretations of the rules. So the process is always going to be chaotic and unpredictable - yes more resourceful participants will be able to exert greater power but that also makes them a bigger threat for all the other participants to be wary of. And it's probably possible for unexceptional candidates to win by virtue of being overlooked as more powerful players mutually destroy each other.

Admittedly these kind of problems would be present in any kind of succession war when you have such a high number of participants and yes I do think some parts of the setup seem well designed, if you accept the premise that the war is necessary. Doing everything in a self-contained environment scales down the struggle - instead of it being a multi year conflict that spills out over the whole country it's limited to the occupants of one ship and will probably be resolved in a matter of weeks or even days. The nen-beasts level the playing field for young capable princes who are lacking in allies/resources compared to their elder siblings and because the beasts aren't directly offensive against other participants they make the contest more about who can scheme and manuever the best rather than who can murder each other the fastest. So yeah I agree that it's a well designed process, but it's a well designed process starting from an absolute mess so I don't think anything about the outcome is guaranteed.

Yeah Spiders+Kurapika+Hisoka+Beyond will throw several spanners in the works too but the Hunter's Association was always going to be present so there was always scope for external factions to play a role. Also the Kurapika faction coming in to ruin Tserreidnich's day seems like a legitmate bit of meddling, the Spiders and Hisoka might end up randomly benefitting or handicapping particular princes almost arbitrarily but Kurapika becoming an enemy is a direct consequence of Tserreidnic's actions (and those same actions also serve as a good argument why he shouldn't be in power). And Kurapika becoming an ally of Woble was a result of Oito imitating Halkenbergs perceieved style in order to gather more powerful allies - she didn't plan for things to pan out exactly as they did but she did have to think about how to win allies from a very weak political position. I suppose you can also argue that handling self-interested foreign meddlings parties is a valid part of the contest too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

My nen ability requires me being a terrible dad, pls leave now Gon

Ging's Hatsu -

Deadbeat Dad Lvl 1000 : After striking a target Ging is teleported away (to a location he has a previously visited, with a maximum range of 1 kilometer). The target is haunted by a spectral child version of themselves asking "Where's my dad?" until they successfully land a counter strike.

Condition : Must be a terrible father.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If the Killua shoes aren’t banned in 87 countries for being an electrocution risk then what even is the point.