Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YggiDee posted:

I love the weird tone whiplash this show gave me. One episode will be "Kurapika kidnaps, interrogates, and murders someone" and it's immediately followed by "Gon and Killua on Antique Roadshow". Does Kurapika ever come back in the manga? Is there enough of a continuation to the manga for him to show up? I was kind of hoping he'd show up when Leorio resurfaced but I guess he's spent the last three story arcs glaring mournfully at this phone?

He reappears in the arc that started up after where the anime left off. In fact, he and Leorio are the stars of it, rather than Gon and Killua. Sadly, the manga went on hiatus just about when it was finishing the setup chapters, so until Togashi picks things back up that's all we have. It's a shame, too, because more Leorio and Kurapika, plus more Zodiacs (with Cheadle seemingly being the main secondary character for the arc) and other stuff made it look like it was going to be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

He even said that Gon was lucky to have gotten back to normal and that he should take it and that asking for more is going to result in bad stuff happening. (Which is true if Killua did not have Alluka, Gon would be dying in a bed.)

Killua has also seperated from Gon and is going his own path with his sister/brother (Who knows what the deal is there.)

Sister. Alluka says she's a girl, Killua refers to her as his sister, she's a girl.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Alluka is biologically male but identifies as a girl and all her family refusing to refer to her as a girl is just to underline how poo poo they are to her and how Killua is like the coolest brother ever. I think that's the take you're supposed to get out of it anyway.

This is it; Alluka's trans and her family treating her as a thing (to the point that Silva does not care when Illumi declares his mission to kill her, despite their family rules forbidding infighting) and referring to her as "he" or even "it" is just one of the many things meant to highlight how hosed up they are and remind us that, as cool as musclebound David Bowie is, they're thoroughly awful people. Meanwhile, Killua calling her a girl like she wants demonstrates not only that he cares about her, but that he actually knows her well, whereas the others just have no idea about anything beyond some of her "rules".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I don't think Gon's evil or anything, but he doesn't really have the same moral compass as, say, Leorio, who's easily the only character you could call 'good' among the main 4.

Gon's generally nice, outgoing, and kind, and he doesn't really discriminate against people. Or, rather, against anyone. Which is what makes him so uncanny in people's eyes. Gon's less about good and evil and more about curiosity and friends. Zeppeno (or whatever the former forger's name was) pretty much noted that Gon didn't judge him for being a former crook; he just wanted to know about the cool forgery tricks. He'll go out of his way to save people, but he doesn't really judge or hate people for being murderers, unless it affects his friends. Hence he doesn't really appear to care that the Phantom Troupe are murderers beyond the superficial "murder is bad" thing, but he does get angry with them over the fact that they killed Kurapika's clan. Same goes for the Bombers in Greed Island - Genthru and his buddies killed a ton of people, but Gon doesn't really bear any enmity towards them for that, unlike Goreinu, who's flabbergasted at the thought that Gon would use a card to heal a mass murderer.

Though, granted, a lot of that has to do with the world that they live in. As Killua himself points out to Goreinu, he himself has killed a ton of people (though Killua was raised that way, and has avoided killing ever since Gon and co. helped him get away from his family). Plus, the people that Genthru killed were Hunters, and Hunters should be prepared to die in the line of duty. Though I'd argue that it still doesn't make it any better.

His selfishness and stubbornness and utter lack of fear aren't portrayed as good - his fight against Genthru makes Gon appear fuckin' terrifying. Dude loses a hand and can't even talk, but powers through all that. A normal shounen character would be seen as determined, but Gon comes off as monstrous instead.

It's a nice contrast that Gon starts out being the more humane one in comparison to Killua, but by the time the Chimera Ant arc has ended its utterly reversed.

It's also important to remember that, after Gon saw Nobunaga's tearful reminiscence over Uvogin, he hated them more; while he could understand them being murderers (even if he didn't like it), when he saw that they were people with friends who cared about each other and were truly upset over the death of one of their own, and yet also had absolutely no remorse for inflicting that same pain many times over on other people, he was disgusted.He has some amount of morality there, and a dislike of hypocrisy it seems, but, as you've pointed out, it's somewhat warped, to say the least.

Eej posted:

I want to say this only happened if their brains were intact on death but I might be making that up. Considering Kite was the last Hunter turned into an Ant by the Queen though, Pokkle ain't coming back.

I'd say Pokkle has a chance in theory, as he could have been reborn as some ant we never saw, since the Queen did eat him, but Ponzu and a few of the other hunters got chowed down on by lesser ants, so they're gone for good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 22, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Pokkle wasn't eaten, Pitou played brain surgeon with him to learn about nen.

Right. Then Pitou gave the body to the butcher ant, who makes humans into food for the queen. Then we get a panel or two of the Queen delighting in how good the new meat is and demanding more. Heck, the King and Guards even confirm that at some point while he was yet unborn the Queen ate a person with nen, which was probably Pokkle.

The really weird thing is Kite being reborn, since the body wasn't eaten, as we saw. Pitou made him into a puppet and that was still around well after the Queen was dead.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 22, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hard to say; there isn't any consistency to who can and can't remember things from their past lives. We even have Welfin, Ikalgo, and Meleoron remembering things about other ants, who are/were unable to remember their own pasts.

Just, yeah. While I don't have any particular feelings either way regarding Pokkle's reincarnation (Ponzu's fate depresses me more; I liked her and it's a shame she went out like that), his death and subsequently being eaten by the Queen was a pivotal moment in the arc; it got the Ants playing with nen and also got them hunting people with nen for the Queen, which likely contributed significantly to Meruem's eventual power.

Edit: Tangent, but Gon's interactions with Meleoron were another pretty great look into his personality and how off he is. Also Meleoron was a cool guy and I'm glad he survived that arc.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Momomo posted:

I thought they scooped his brain out and fed it to her or something.

That's the most likely thing, yeah. It's never confirmed either way, though, and you'd figure that the others would have told Gon "hey, Kite's skull is empty, he's not coming back" or something; while they treat his revival as unlikely, no one acts like it's impossible. At least, as far as I remember it; I could be wrong here. Among other things checking the wiki tells me that apparently Ging mentioned something about his ability making him hard to kill or something, which I don't quite remember the details of. I don't know.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schubalts posted:

Yes. Hisoka lost an arm during Heaven's Tower, and used his Gum to stick it back on until he could get back to Machi and get it permanently reattached.

He lost both arms, actually. Deliberately, in the case of at least one of the two. That's (I assume) why Machi charged a lot more for fixing one than the other; she thought he was an rear end in a top hat showoff and that he thought she'd fix him up just because he wanted her to. That or because one was harder to reattach for some reason, but I like the idea of her punishing him for being a dick.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is only tangentially related to the current subject, but I just remembered that Leorio became one of the most popular candidates for Chairman of the Hunter's Association and nearly won the election because he punched Ging in the face. I decided I needed to post about it here so that everyone else could also recall this glorious fact.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Zodiacs don't like Ging because they had to actually work with him. Ging's friends also expressed their frustrations with him, but they were, you know, friends, so it's one of those "that's just how he is" situations. The Zodiacs had no such relationship, though, so they just found him insufferable. As did most hunters, really; Satotz seemed to admire him for his achievements but I don't think ever met him in person, while Kite was his student and thus looked up to him. People who weren't already friends with him or admired him for other reasons, meanwhile, seem to generally dislike him. For good reason; the guy's an rear end in a top hat, even if he's also clever and skilled and stuff.

Remember, again, that Leorio almost won an election off of punching the dude in the face. He is not well-regarded by people familiar with him. Though yeah, Netero probably thought he was great. He also recruited Pariston solely so the latter could entertain him by trying to sabotage him at every turn.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, they've never met.

TRIGGER WARNING: lovely QUALITY

Right, thought I was remembering that correctly. Thanks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the price you pay for being able to do nearly anything you want, ever. Also if you have nen then you're a bigger badass than most non-hunter things you may encounter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kurapika's a blacklist hunter, sort of, and he's pretty badass. Though his hunting the Phantom Troupe was mostly done as a personal matter and I don't think he ever sought public credit or anything for that, and has spent more time being a mafioso before becoming a Zodiac. Still, technically he counts; it was his original goal even.

We also have Saiyu, another Zodiac, and Binolt, who... Is a hair-eating creep and got used as a training dummy for Gon and Killua. Also a criminal who probably belonged on the list despite hunting people on it. So yeah we're more misses than hits on them admittedly. As badass as the position sounded when Kurapika wanted to be one in the beginning, besides Kurapika himself we only have one who isn't a letdown.

Edit: Tangent, but I just remembered the whole thing with stars and whatnot to rank hunters. We've seen a fair amount of single star hunters (Morel and Tsezguerra, as well as Menchi back from the exam, plus several people who showed up in the election), a few doubles (Ging, Biscuit, Mizaistrom, and Saccho, plus Teradain (guy who tried a coup in the election and got murdered) and Linne (old lady in the election), and only three triples (Cheadle, Pariston, and Botobai, though Ging could have qualified had he bothered allegedly). While the single star hunters have varied in impressiveness, the doubles and triples have done pretty well for themselves.

I'm curious about the accomplishments of the triple star hunters; while Botobai probably kicked a lot of rear end for his position (being a terrorist hunter, a military man, and other things), I'd like to know what crazy accomplishments Cheadle (a "virus hunter", doctor and lawyer) and Pariston (Vice-Chairman, briefly Chairman, and all-around slimeball) have to their names to have the highest possible rankings a hunter can receive. I'm assuming Pariston didn't get his stars just for being Vice-Chairman; he's proven himself to be scarily competent, and he must have caught Netero's eye to be picked as Vice-Chairman.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 24, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pitou and Youpi are awesome and I Was really hoping that Pitou at least would survive when the arc was going on. Pouf is a lunatic and both really entertaining at times and totally the worst.

Lesser ants, at lot are awesome. As I said before, Meleoron is great and I'm glad he survived the arc, Cheetu's death was amazing, I feel really bad for Colt/Kurt/whatever and hope that he somehow learns that his sister made it back home.

Also, I wonder if Gyro's ever going to be followed up on. The diversion on him made it seem like he was going to be a major player, but apart from being part of the motivation for Ikalgo and Welfin to defect he was a non-factor.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pitou being the victim of Super-Gon is just one more thing that highlights how that transformation was just not a good thing. Like, if he killed the King with that power (setting aside that the Miniature Rose made that unnecessary), then sure, it's a terrible sacrifice but it was worth something. If he took out Pouf or Youpi, then sure, it keeps his friends out of danger and makes getting to the King easier.

Pitou, though, had become a non-issue before Gon arrived; all he wanted to do was save Komugi and keep the King from dying, and was more than willing to not only not fight for those ends, but die for them, and was well on the way to developing a full suite of emotions and morals rather than just indulging himself and serving the King. Out of the three Pitou was the one closest to redemption and the one most likely to remain functional and become a good person after the King's death.

Likewise, at that point in time, so far away from the King, Pitou's death changed nothing regarding the outcome of the battle at the palace. Meruem and the other two Royal Guards were going to die, there was no stopping that. Leaving Pitou alive wouldn't have changed anything at that point; even though he would have fought to protect the King, despite no longer having any desire to fight or kill, him being so far removed from the battlefield neutralized him as a threat even before his death.

Gon's motivation for killing Pitou wasn't even heroic or just; he wasn't thinking about saving anyone or anything, he just wanted revenge for Kite's death.

And then, just to add one more thing to the pile, even up to the end Pitou had no desire to kill Gon or anyone else. He only fought Gon because, upon seeing the transformation, knew that Gon's power was enough to kill the King and wanted to ensure that couldn't happen. Which, of course, means that he also knew full well that he not only could die there, but probably was going to; Pitou's last act was, of all things, sacrificing himself to save someone else.

Basically, his death was a tragedy brought about through his own past actions (when he was still more ant than human mentally, the way Colt, Meleoron, and the other redeemed ants used to be as well, and honestly far below them in terms of atrocity committed), Pouf's machinations, and Gon's emotions. Had he survived I'm sure that, assuming he didn't go into a depressive funk over the King's death, he would have been just like Meleoron, Ikalgo, and the other "good" ants in terms of actions and ability to integrate after that point. Instead, though, he died, and Gon got... Nothing for it. It didn't change the outcome of the battle, it didn't make him feel better or bring Kite back, it just nearly killed him and, even with Alluka coming in to restore him to perfect health he lost his ability with nen. It just wasn't worth it on any level.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like your post a lot other the fact that I see Pitou as a girl. (Pitou being a girl seems to be the current majority held opinion. What with Pitou having breasts and all in the anime.)

But Yeah if Pitou has survived I think she would have had an interesting role. (Though Depressed Funk would happen first as she would have failed in both tasks as both the King and Komugi would be dead.)

Pitou's gender is admittedly ambiguous; I tend to say "he" because I started with the Viz translations that referred to Pitou as such, but truthfully have no strong feelings either way. Bringing up actual ant gender stuff would be irrelevant given how we got things like the rogue ant the Troupe destroyed and Reina, etc. who weren't the Queen but were still female, and so on, and also all the male workers, so, yeah.

And yeah, Pitou's death makes me sad because, as you say, he probably would have been really interesting after that, besides everything I wrote up there. It's sad and I wish he didn't die, but at the same time it made for a pretty effective story, so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 27, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alder posted:

I'm at the end of Greed Island arc :bravo2:

Also, wtf is wrong with Ging?! Gon would be better off never meeting his father and just looking for what happened to his mother really.

Ging is basically the worst human being who isn't, like, actively malicious or hateful. Don't worry, though, you're going to see more of him eventually, so you have that to look forward to.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hisoka does, however, show up in almost every arc. Not counting the current, unfinished one and combining everything from the start of the series to the end of the exam into one, I think he's been absent in... Two? He's been a major player in more arcs than Leorio or Kurapika, really, though his "screentime" is probably lower.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

That doesn't really says much though, since he isn't in the Chimera Arc, and that one is as long as the rest of the series.

I mentioned that in one version of that post but rewrote it a few times and apparently removed that part, whoops. Yeah, the Chimera Ant arc, which is basically half the series, has no Hisoka, or Kurapika or Leorio for that matter.

Still, Hisoka shows up a lot, relative to most characters, is my point.

Also Kurapika is the best edgelord.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

From what I understood, he is really only interested in killing those who killed his tribe. The organization as a whole doesn't really seem to matter to him.

And what i really hope is that Togashi doesn't pull a 'revenge is bad' on us and has him abandoning his quest. I mean, I liked that he ultimately choose his friends over revenge in Yorkshin when the situation demanded it, but drat if I don't want to see Kurapika murder every last one of them. The Ryodan are easily my favorite members, and they actually come across pretty likable in their interactions but it would narrativly be very fitting if they get hunted down by one of their victims.

Well, in Yorknew it was acknowledged that Kurapika's obsession with revenge was bad for him, and his friends all wanted to get him away from it so he doesn't get himself killed, but, it hasn't painted killing the Troupe as wrong. Uvogin was a monster, and while Pakunoda was more sympathetic in the meantime we've seen pretty much everyone else on Kurapika's list, and really even the replacements in the meantime (Hisoka, Shizuku, etc.) need to be stopped. It seems to be, so far at least, less that revenge is bad and more that Kurapika was heading into a dark place and was, at least somewhat, pulled out of it.

Also, note that the prophecies originally had Kurapika annihilating like half the troupe, including Shizuku, one of the replacements. If he could have he totally would have destroyed them all. And they would have deserved it, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, we know what Texture Surprise (official translation, and one I like since he named it after a candy he liked, while "Deceitful Texture" describes literally the opposite of what it does) does. It puts fake appearances on things, though it doesn't alter their texture, hence things like his fake skin handkerchief in the fight with Kastro or his fake prophecies. It's really simple, like Bungee Gum, but can be used in multiple ways and is limited mostly by his creativity, though unlike Bungee Gum it is almost solely a tool of deception. A very, very good one for that, mind.

But yeah, Hisoka's never really been in a fight with someone he wasn't above in power; the closest we got is Razor and that wasn't a real fight, which limited him immensely. It'd be interesting to see him in a real fight where he doesn't have the upper hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Conditional Nen hax like 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva where the condition is "throw 10,000 punches without stopping"

Netero was beyond (no, not that Beyond, before anyone makes that joke) anyone we've seen besides the King and possibly his guards; his ability seems to have somehow developed out of his dedicating years of his life to praying and meditating in the mountains. He basically achieved a sort of enlightenment and became a buddha, and the plane he ascended to both physically (besides his strength, he was also an old man when Zeno was young and would have probably lived much longer had he not died fighting Meruem) and mentally is likely why his nen was also so far beyond anyone else's. (Though, he claimed there are at least five people more skilled than he prior to meeting the ants; I wonder who they are.)

Tangent, was checking the wiki to see if there's anything I forgot, and something interesting was pointed out: When Gon, Killua, and Netero spar on the zeppelin, Netero only uses his right arm and left leg. During his fight with Meruem, meanwhile, the battle eventually leaves him with only his right arm and left leg.

And yes, nen is really, really cool. We need more systems like it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateNu posted:

Bodhisattva :eng101:

The current usage of the term describes someone who has reached enlightenment but refused to transcend in order to help others attain enlightenment. Buddhas are those who have attained enlightenment and have subsequently disappeared into the aether.

Alright; I just went to Wikipedia, and their definition of bodhisattva was someone who reached enlightenment out of a desire to help others or something, while a buddha was anyone who reached enlightenment period, from what I gathered. Given Netero's... Well, given Netero, the former didn't seem right based on those definitions.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Netero attains enlightenment through gratitude (to martial arts) and then promptly goes to found his own school in order to teach everyone gratitude. Guanyin being a bodhisattva of mercy and compassion kinda represents this too. Hell, he was doing his best not to think too much about Mereum's situation because he knew he would start empathizing with him. That's how compassionate he is!

I think at least some of that is meant as a joke but that's actually a fair point.

Also, Leorio and Kurapika are the main characters now. Or maybe Ging is. Or Cheadle. Or the crushing abyss of the void because we haven't had a new chapter this whole year.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure how well that would work. I think part of the reason Kurapica's anti-Troupe abilities are so powerful is because he genuinely hates them. Plus he had a lot of potential to begin with. Plus Meruem was stronger than Chrollo, and the Dark Continent threats were stronger than Meruem.

Kurapika's a particularly special case because of a variety of factors. As you say, he has a genuine, powerful animosity towards the Troupe, he's innately rather talented, and then there's Emperor Time which is one of the most powerful things we've seen in the series and just breaks the rules. But, even setting all that aside, you also need to consider, who would want to dedicate a portion of their very being and limit all their future potential for the sole purpose of dealing with one particular problem? Kurapika is an extreme oddity in that he'd do that to himself; most people would rather not.

Besides that, Hunters are already fairly rare, given how few pass the exam each year, and then there's them having to actually learn nen. From that small pool, singling some out (already not how the Association does things since they give the Hunters a lot of autonomy beyond a few particular rules) and having them basically do nothing so that, in the chance of such a major problem comes around that normal Hunters can't deal with it, they can have people who can, given several months at minimum, tailor themselves specifically to dealing with it, is a very inefficient way of doing things.

Basically, you'd need exceptionally talented individuals, who would probably be more useful off doing other things, who would agree to this sort of thing; the pool of options here, among the already-small pool of Hunters, would be tiny if not nonexistent. Or, you'd need to change the Association so that it could force people to do that, which would have massive resistance and probably make it far less appealing to join. And that's before the whole issue with nen working off of inner desire and emotions and stuff so some random person making these abilities probably would have effectiveness issues anyway, or at least not be as powerful as they could be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

You could create the motive; while not everyone would be willing to do so, if you offered some huge some of money + other benefits (significantly more than you get as just as a hunter alone) some people would probably be willing to bite. But the point about Kurapika having a genuine hatred of the Phantom Troupe is valid, though I want to say there are other Nen specializations with limitations that don't fit that mold (can't think of them off the top of my head though).,

Intensity is definitely a factor; someone who just wanted money probably wouldn't be able to match, since we're using him as the gold standard of insanely-focused powers, Kurapika's hatred. You can have non-hatred motivations, it's just, nen is kind of weird and reacts to things like, to use a different example people gave earlier in the thread, Franklin chopping off his fingertips to make his fingers into gun barrels. I don't think it's possible to "cheat" nen, either, so your intentions have to be genuine; you can't break or exploit the system.

YggiDee posted:

On one hand, they have phones, on the other hand they have characters who spend entire plot arcs staring at their phone in a dark corner instead of seeing their friend in the hospital, Kurapika

Hey, he was brooding. You can't just stop brooding for any old thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

His dad probably intended for him to undergo a nen baptism in Heaven's Arena but, well,

I don't know; he only had to get up to the floor where that would have happened otherwise, not do anything on it, hence his not getting "baptized" the first time. More importantly, those "baptisms" are usually fatal and maim those who aren't killed, which is why the three main antagonists for that arc were all messed up and why Hisoka absolutely refused to let Gon and Killua move forward without nen; he knew they'd get killed or "ruined" and, being a weird murderpervert, didn't want that to happen. While the family treats Killua in "special" ways, I doubt Silva would do something that likely to get his son killed or maimed.

I do love how he spent his prize money, though. That is a lot of candy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
2015 not getting any chapters was new. Normally we get... Let's see, there were nine in 2014, two in 2013 (but those two were for a one-shot thing), thirty as one long stretch from late 2011 to mid 2012 that finished up the Ant arc, did the entirety of the election, and started the new arc, etc. So, you can either view this optimistically and say we'll probably get something this year, and possibly a fair amount since the updates usually come in decent chunks, or small ones with a break every now and then, or you can view it pessimistically and take the longest break yet as a sign that the series is finally dead. Personally, I'm leaning towards (hoping for) the former.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alder posted:

That might be somewhat too early for it to be totally dead right? I just got into this a few weeks ago too.

I mean even DGM went on a 1 yr hiatus and restarted with new chapters some kind anime announcement. HxH is pretty popular too.

Yeah, like I said, I'm leaning towards this just being an unfortunately long break in a series of breaks of varying length, personally.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Zeno is an old dude with standards who only takes out the targets of his mission, and Netero got him into the mission saying it'd be targeting a bunch of monsters, which is why he was willing to use the Dragon Dive there. Discovering that, no, there's a civilian here and he possibly killed her, definitely hurt her, made him unhappy because of his code and professionalism; had he known Komugi was there, he wouldn't have rained indiscriminate hell on the area.

Killua, on the other hand, was brought up... Wrongly. Distant from other people, taught to kill from a young age without any reasons why he shouldn't kill someone who isn't family, etc. Silva seems to realize that their training of him isn't going to plan, hence allowing him to go out on his own to experience and learn things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Checking other things, I wonder what happened with Chrollo. At the end of Greed Island, the Troupe had their exorcist, but, Kurapika had stated earlier in the arc that he'd know if his chain was broken. Given his lack of a freakout, that probably hasn't happened. So, what has the Troupe been up to in the meantime? In the Ant arc they were dealing with the ants, but that was done quickly, and there was no sign of Chrollo or Abengane with them. Heck, they did that whole contest to make Feitan the leader while Chrollo's still missing; obviously Chrollo can't contact the Troupe, but they had Hisoka's help and whatnot too. They're taking a surprisingly long time to find him. Or, well, surprising but for the fact that the moment they find and free him, Kurapika will know and start gunning for them again, which will definitely be an arc of its own and thus has to wait, but, I wonder what the in-universe reasons for it taking so long are.

Edit: Tangentially, one of my favorite parts of Yorknew is when Kurapika has Chrollo and the Troupe has Gon and Killua; Kurapika calls the Troupe with his demands, and Phinks, being a dick, says that they already hurt Gon and Killua in the struggle (because he's planning on beating them up)... At which point Kurapika immediately says the deal is off and hangs up. Phinks being forced to call Kurapika back, apologize, and admit he lied, as if he were a misbehaving child or something, is a great bit of comedy in the middle of that arc, and the rest of the Troupe immediately piling on him after he hands the phone over is fun too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 4, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's especially noticeable cause Hisoka reappears for the election. Might be that it'll take time for Abengane to remove the restriction placed by Kurapika, which is likely to be magnitudes more powerful than the bombs used by Genthru. Don't think Kurapika's restriction even had a condition to dispel it.

Oh yeah, if/when we see Chrollo again, he's going to have a freaky nen beast accompanying him because he can't dispel it. Also, the beast getting to the chains probably won't be fun; Abengane's beast ate the bomb off of him, but the chains are around Chrollo's heart. Presumably it won't just rip him open to get to them, but, I can imagine it won't be pleasant.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They were the fake eyes Kortopi made, too, which is how he was tracked down. They weren't even worth anything, so all his death accomplished was the Troupe learning about Kurapika (And, indirectly, Neon gaining a bit of humanity after Eliza has a breakdown).

Also that moment is a good reminder of how the Troupe is to outsiders; Pakunoda deliberately goads him into his outburst by bringing up Eliza, leading to Nobunaga beheading him. Her death is sad but it's important to remember that she and the friends she sacrificed herself for are terrible people. Which is something HxH does well, characterize its villains and give them depth and sympathetic moments even as they remain completely villainous.

Edit: Another "fun" Troupe thing, the Indoor Fish. Remember those? They're the weird nen fish Chrollo makes to eat that one guy alive, not killing him until the room is unsealed. Whoever made that power must have been quite the piece of work, because it's just a nasty, nasty thing.

Also, given that Chrollo seems to like to collect weird powers, the Troupe probably still has the Owl alive somewhere, which, given the state he was in when we last saw him, probably isn't very pleasant for him.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kortopi's strange because on the one hand he seems like possibly the weakest Troupe member, even considering Kalluto; he was last in the arm wrestling rankings, and we almost never see him fight, in large part because his ability is too unique and valuable for them to give up, as Shalnark points out when discussing who to risk in Yorknew. However, he was, alongside Machi, willing to stand up to Phinks and Feitan, two of the strongest Troupe members, during the feuding over whether to let Pakunoda deal with Kurapika herself or not. Feitan also laughed at this and seemed surprised he'd dare try, though, so, he's probably not particularly strong combat-wise, but he likely has some combat ability and wasn't planning on just throwing his life away. And, yeah, he has the nen to make fifty skyscrapers, which is ridiculous. It's probably partially a matter of the limits he has on them (only a day, and he can only copy a thing he's touching, so no making something out of nothing), but he still has to have a ton of nen for that.

Edit: Wrote all that over an hour ago, got up to play a game with my little brother, and came back to post it, but most of the points were covered already. Oh well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Kortopi is almost certainly a powerful nen user, I'm just saying it's not like he'd be the only guy in the series to sacrifice everything for one really potent ability.

Long as we're on the subject though I have to say I'm not especially fond of Feitan's ability, nor the fact that Shanark can use his remotes on himself to boost his power Super Saiyan-style.

Yeah, were it not for Kortopi standing up to Feitan and Phinks that one time, plus accompanying the others on their mission to capture Squala and stuff, I'd assume he had no combat ability at all. However, given those incidents, I assume he must be at least capable of fighting, though he's not necessarily good at it, relative to most people in this at least. Edit: Oh, he also joined the Troupe on Greed Island, at least at first, though only Feitan and Phinks really stuck around. Edit again: Also, it's worth noting that he's one of the few Conjurers who can conjure items he's not intimately familiar with. That's another crazy-impressive thing about him.

Shalnark's self-control ability is odd, yes. Presumably it's not too smart, though, so I wouldn't be surprised, if he fights Kurapika in the future, him dying (and not even realizing it due to his lack of awareness during it) because Kurapika outplays his auto-pilot or something. As for Feitan... Yeah, he's just really powerful, and apparently his ability has multiple forms too, so. I wonder what limits it has beyond "hurts more the more damage he takes". Maybe he has to take damage to use it at all? He didn't go for anything beyond basic nen and his physical ability before he got hit.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 4, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pitou's not even a manipulator. She conjurers horrible puppet things that control people and corpses.

Pitou's a specialist, actually. So Manipulation and Conjuration are both nearby.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

As I recall, they said something like "Manipulators and Conjurers are the groups most likely to develop a Specialist skill." The impression I got was that most if not all Specialists were like Kurapika, and had one of the normal categories plus Specialization on top of that. So, for example, Chrollo would be a conjurer/specialist (he summons the book), while Pitou would be a manipulator/specialist.

It doesn't really make any difference though.

Specialization is its own thing, it's just assumed to be closer to the "bottom" categories on the hexagon. It has its own result in the water test, as both Pitou (making the leaf disintegrate) and Kurapika in Emperor Time (unseen but tested during a flashback) have demonstrated, so it's a separate category that can both be a "primary" one and one that non-Specialists can possibly develop, though as you say, it's more likely for Manipulators and Conjurers.

And yeah, Leol was a Specialist, his ability just worked different. Chrollo jumps through hoops to steal a power as long as the person who he took it from lives, while Leol could just borrow a power if he got the person to owe him a favor. Easier to take, but only "one use", for whatever that means given that both powers he demonstrated had fairly long durations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arkeus posted:

But yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say either one is better than the other, they are about slightly different theme, "Leading" and "Thieving".

This is an important point; Chrollo doesn't just want to copy neat abilities he sees, he wants to take them. His ability not only lets him use other people's powers at a whim, but it makes it so that they can't use them ever again either. Were it not for that caveat, I imagine he'd probably have at least a slightly easier power to use, but, he's a thief. He wants to steal things, and his power reflects that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I have not watched the movies or heard anything about them beyond complaints here, but, "nen but powered by hatred"? That alone is pretty ridiculous because, I mean, Nen already reacts to hatred. It can react to it very well even, as Kurapika, for the most notable and relevant example, shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I'm happy that people contribute to these wikis, but I get the impression that many of them are a little strange.

The HxH wiki is not great even by normal wiki standards. Besides moments like them deciding to keep referring to Alluka as male after acknowledging that she identified as female, the general writing of it is really long, rambling listing of every single detail, and yet also frequently making strange leaps of logic or simply being outright wrong, so outside of refreshing one's memory by using it as a general summary of things it's not that useful. Also whoever wrote most of it isn't that great with English, which doesn't help.

As for Kite, he's not really relevant for most of the series, no, and I can see why I cut the moment with him, since fully adapting the first chapter, while letting a couple later moments have a bigger impact (meeting Kite again and all, and also the moment with the bear when Gon and Killua return to Whale Island), but it'd have bogged down the first episode heavily and taken up at least half of it on things that just wouldn't matter much in the long run, and it let them get into the main plot that much faster.