Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This anime was good, but for some reason i stopped watching right at the last 10 or so episodes... i should go and finish it some time.

Also Kuwabara is one of the greatest characters of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It was insanely badass how Netero blew himself up with an A-bomb and that's how the King died. Probably one of my favorite parts of the series.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love the sudden nuke. Hunter loves to build up some big fight and then resolve it in an unexpected but strangely satisfying way, and having the biggest baddie be killed by a nuclear weapon is both unexpected and immediately understandable. It's tragic and kind of hilarious. If that was the end of the arc it would have been a bit of a let down, but there was still so much to get to after that and it all took on a different tone. Really great stuff.

Agreedo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought Gon turning into a giant adult man with infinitely tall hair was really weird and I didn't like it, but that's just my opinion.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Remember the nen arrow guy who got chumped hard by some scrub tier chimera ant? Lol. Rip.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lol just noticed teh thread tag

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Logicblade posted:

A mulberry is a tree, and Kuwabara is a man.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The nicest dude in the entire manga enjoys swearing like a goddamn sailor, boozing, womanizing and jacking-off in public.

And he will go the distance and punch your lovely dad so said lovely dad knows what's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QOS2cWTWw

:3:

This was the last episode i watched because 1. I had marathoned through most of the series at that point and was losing interest and 2. I knew it wasnt going to get better than that

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manga is the superior medium, after all.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Netero like Pariston because he knew Anime Paris Hilton would gently caress with him at every turn, making everything 'fun' and 'challenging' because Netero was weird like that.

Read this as "gently caress him at every turn"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's hard to tell if Togashi is a mentally deteriorating madman or a complete genius, or if there isn't any difference between the two.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jon joe posted:

Pretty sure this is when Hisoka reveals he secretly attached texture surprise to Chrollo and/or his book.

This would be absolutely bonkers, but the fact that you were able to guess it means it can't be true.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

togashi's author comments for the weeks since his return to jump:

Help this man

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Leorio and indeed most of the characters going will be dead within 2 chapters of stepping on to the Dark Continent.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I believe in the power of both rubber and gum.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I never once doubted the powers of Bungee Gum.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I haven't read the manga yet besides the stuff after the anime, but generally, manga is the superior medium,

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Everyone is going to die on this boat, including Togashi.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Leorio is going to be the successor.

He didnt do anything besides jerk off and he's gonna win it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When I read the MS version of that scene I just sort of glazed over it enough to understand that everything was hosed up, and that was all I needed to know.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I always thought the cards were real, and just really sharp or sharpened with Bungee Gum.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

They're real, but it's just a basic nen trick; Wing does the same thing with a page of paper when he's teaching Gon and Killua about nen.

I don't really remember that part very well. Whenever they go into details of explaining nen I don't pay much attention to it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kurapika is going to get killed by the knife guy and we won't find out for another 16 months.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm for the locking him in a room with painkillers plan.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Togashi is a madman.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All anime OPs fit every other anime OP

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The 2011 makes changes I don't like as well at certain points, nothing major but certainly nigglesome. For example in the manga Gon, Kurapica, and Leorio are individually able to open the gate to the Zoldyck manor whereas in the anime all three have to work together to open even the smallest one. It's clearly a plot point to express unity and teamwork but it's needless when the show does that so well already and takes away from how much the gang improved during their stay.

I think the door is an arbitrary measure of improvement to the audience and the show still gives you the sense that "hey, everyone got stronger" while still having the Golly Gee Teamwork moment. Whether or not they can individually open the door doesn't really matter, because the door would not have opened without all of them getting stronger, and that's the important part.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the surreal poo poo with the koala and little girl Kite at the end of the chimera ant arc is what made me realize that Togashi was some kind of insane genius. It's just such a strange conclusion to the stuff that came before it, but it feels so powerful and beautiful

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The dub of Hunter x Hunter is pretty good, and I'm glad its got the chance to be on Toonami

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

im still gonna call it Hisoka's win because in the end he is cooler

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've said it before but I hope Kurapika does not get to enact his revenge and mostly fails at his goals and just has to learn to live as a person outside of that, and deal with having a mostly weak nen ability because he poured it all into trying to kill spiders.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jose posted:

hisoka is going to kill him using the properties of rubber and gum

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Can someone link the chapter?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Most people who develop Nen do so completely unconsciously. Wing used Olympic-tier athletes as an example, but Komugi was one example we personally see. Her Nen came about because she desperately needed to be, and stay, extremely good at gungi, and it's partially why she was so good that even Meruem couldn't beat her, but she had no idea what Nen even was.

wait a second, komugi was unconsciously using nen to be so good at gungi?! i never even realized this

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

That second one was just an evolved form of shia labeouf's technique.

She actually starts using nen mid-match with the King.

does anyone ever explicitly mention this, like the King? i kind of remember seeing her with an aura around her sometimes but I guess my small dinosaur brain didn't make the connection that it was Nen, and just thought it was showing how intimidating and powerful she was in the world of gungi

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it gets explicitly mentioned and there are nen bubbles and everything.

I guess its been a while and I'm an idiot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

With Gon demoted, Killua abroad, and Kurapika dead, Leorio Ging Pariston can finally take his place as the true protagonist of Hunter x Hunter.

Thank god

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I mean I thought things got weird when Gon and friends found themselves trying to get into a billion dollar real life video game to find his dad by beating his dad's serial killer friend at dodgeball. But now that there is an infestation of life size bug-human hybrids in bizzaro North Korea that are collecting humans to breed super bugs, I just don't know what to think. There is a much more violent and disturbing tone in this arc. Things have gotten real, and I like it.

the fact that the series went from real life video game to whatever the chimera ant arc is is why I love HxH so much

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I dont think how gon sees people is meant to be some kind of lampoon of other shonen heroes, and is probably just togashi's own interesting character writing. I doubt he sat down and thought "I'm going to write Gon to prove a point about that dang Luffy guy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Not gonna lie I completely forgot Kurapika is in the zodiacs now.