Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
why didnt his nails grow really long too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Pokkle was fed to the queen while she was preparing to give birth to Cell. He remembers the taste of the "rare food" after he's born

edit: nevermind. i left the window open

I thought it was implied that Kite's revival had something to do with his roulette nen ability

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. Gon was just using the raw baseline of his enhancer power in new ways. He didn't really just pop new special attacks in battle. Even his Janken was developed during training with Wing and Biskey.

It was heavily implied (if not outright stated) that Cheetu was just getting new powers unlocked from the nen ability of one of the other ants. He wasn't developing them on his own which is why he was poo poo at using them. (And then died the most ignominious death in the series.)

They said "go to the royal guard to get a nen ability", but I think Pouf was just thinking up the ideas for their abilities and showing how to develop them because he's super smart

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
When the manga was discussing the development of Kurapika's nen, his nen master tried to convince him to materialize something other than a simple chain - his reasoning being that even if you create a really strong nen chain, its still not going to be THAT much better than just buying a really strong real chain to make the effort it takes worth it. You're better off materializing something unique.

So, there's certain common sense "rules" in-universe, ideas that people have for what the most effective ways to develop your nen are that probably mostly apply. However, Kurapika himself obviously transcends this common sense, through his eye jutsu bloodline limit (Emperor Time), innate talent, and the restrictive rules on his nen.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
tbh alluka's whole existence is pretty contrived and way too convenient for Gon. The only thing that saves it is that the arc Togashi built around it is pretty cool

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
It's just the kind of thing I could see people bitching about endlessly if it happened in a different series. I think people give HxH a pass on it because they already like it

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

No one knows for certain what his deal is because it has never been publicized. Just lots and lots of speculation repeated as facts.

i heard he caught the hiv from takeuchi

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
chrollo got way uglier

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
togashi is building up chrollo's apparent advantage so its cooler when hisoka merks him

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Gyo isn't Ken, and if you don't have the skill for that kind of fast aura shifting skill, you're gonna have a bad day against Hisoka anyways.

ken is actually safer than gyo

that is, gyo is just moving your aura around your body. when you put it in your eyes you can see aura better

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 4, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i just thought of something weird. since chrollo has his nen back, he has regained access to whats-her-face's fortune telling ability, right?

if i was him, i wouldnt have fought hisoka until it told me i wasnt gonna die horribly

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

hisoka is gonna lose because the only people hes beaten is kastro and a zoldyck butler lmfao (also chrollo cant use the handwriting future thingy on himself im like 92% sure you cant)

he just needs to use it on one of the ryodan and wait until theres no verses that pop out whining about the head of the spider being squished or whatever

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
chrollo's nose got better

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
the only reason i feel like chrollo cant die here is because of how heavily he's tied into kurapika's unresolved arc. but hisoka's so so so much more interesting to watch than him so i want hisoka to win

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
togashi's author comments for the weeks since his return to jump:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

if they ran for the exits they'd get trampled. Safer to stay in the seats.

these are some clear thinking motherfuckers

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The time gap between Leorio only knowing about Ren and him using a fully developed hatsu to punch Ging in the face is only like a year, right? Gon and Killua might be freaks of nature but i dont think leorio's that far behind them, he could be in the upper tiers of hunter ability

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i wanna be friends with leorio

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
here's togashi's weekly death letter

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
new chapter

http://mangastream.com/read/hunter_x_hunter/355/3425/1

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Hisoka is better than Chrollo b/c he's just more fun. His motivations are insane, but they're still easy for you to grasp and he pursues his goals with such over-the-top glee and earnestness that its impossible not to have fun watching him. Chrollo isnt bad either but he's kind of a smug dick lord

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Hisoka basically says in the latest chapter, "Well, I guess I can't have the luxury of sitting back and picking apart your strategy anymore. Now I have to use ~*THAT MOVE*~". Methodically destroying his opponent's whole strategy and way of fighting is how Hisoka prefers to play with his murder toys. Chrollo has forced him to take a step beyond that

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

and this one doesn't even have the obvious character beat (Hisoka realizing that strong opponents turn him on after being in a close fight for the first time).

yeah, in fact it seems like hisoka was doing this kind of thing even before he learned nen, which is funny

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Is he? He's already a clown who likes to troll people with magic tricks, but the only person he kills in this chapter is an unambiguous villain, and there isn't even much indication that he particularly enjoys killing him. Hisoka embracing his sadomasochistic tendencies could be placed after this chapter just as easily as before.

theres no reason for him to instigate the fight if he's not already a murder clown. if he's not a murder clown then he just exposes and fights and murders this dude that taught him nen for no discernible reason. (obviously, hisoka's not the type of guy to care about delivering justice to serial murderers)

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

its bad! its gay! i hate it!!!! gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this comic is a shitload of gently caress. i'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear than read this comic. its so suck it fucks. its so gently caress it sucks.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
trained hunter x hunter humans arent normal humans, theyre manga humans. they can lift billion ton doors and stuff

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
thats not justified by anything in the text

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i can't make sense of hisoka's decision there. you could make it make sense if having fresh machi nen sutures still in him would let her gain some kind of advantage over him in battle. fresh ones only obviously. or maybe he has some reason for holding up the facade to machi that he has a power that lets him heal himself

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i think illumi is just a killuaphile

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its a blatant asspull. just accept it without thinking too much about it and move on

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Uvogin outright said he didn't want a Hunter's license because he was proud of being an outlaw.

he said that having a hunters license to buy information on hunter websites wouldnt be useful to him because he never has money anyways, because he always just takes things when he wants them

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

but if they ever specifically needed a license any of them could just go out and take one.

when I recently read york new I got the impression that that's exactly what shalnark did, and that's what he was advising uvo to do as well. but everyone seems to think he passed the hunter exam, so maybe i just missed something

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The fight with Uvo was as good as over at the beginning. Kurapika hid his chain with In and wrapped it around Uvo at the beginning of the fight. The rest of the fight was just Kurapika confirming in various ways that his Nen was capabable of dealing with the spiders in a straight up fight. If he felt nervous at any point he could have just activated chain jail.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont think its out of the question for a sufficiently talented person to completely throw away their hatsu and start from scratch. that dumbass cheetah ant just went to get a new nen ability idea from the butterfly guy.

that said, i think the only ability of kurapika's that must needs be used against spiders is chain jail. the real lynchpin of Kurapika's nen is Emperor Time. looking at it logically, the narrative kind of exaggerated how specific Kurapikas abilities really are

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its not just a matter of skill at wording a sentence (although the ms translation does read horribly). the viz and mangastream translations have totally different meanings. has anyone asked them about this? have they defended themselves at all? im just curious about it. because it seems like ms arent very skilled at japanese at this point

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i thought that "selfless wishes are free" was just killua's cover story for the fact that he's able to ask for anything he wants

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

I honestly hope that Gon's story is done and he becomes the next Leorio: out of the picture until it's really funny to have him come back, but he's still useless in combat.

but i love leorio more than anyone and i want him to be in the story more

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
even someone as mind-bendingly popular and influential as akira toriyama had to take into account the opinions and expertise of his editors. its a collaborative relationship, not a dictatorial one, but their ideas do matter

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

nah, toriko kept mentioning the gourmet world from very early on. toriko even visited it briefly years before hxh ever hinted at its equivalent. the bit where the human world was just a tiny area came up about the same time in both series, though.

i think hes talking about the gourmet hunters at the end of the hunter exam, and i agree with him 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
wrong. someone put a curse on him. he needs a nen remover