Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Casual anime fan reporting in after finishing 2011 series:

- Gon's purity and naivete are somehow not irritating like so many other protagonists. He's a Good Boy and I love him.
- Dodgeball was great, but while Killua was being suspicious of Hisoka I thought we were going end up with the whole Troupe roped into the match, which would've been :v: :v: :v:
- I'd long heard about the Chimera Ant arc (it was ace) but I think it could've been condensed by a few episodes. So much intensity going on for so long was honestly tiring. Maybe cut some Pouf shenanigans.
- Election Leorio was perfect, on top of every hunter in the world hating Ging.
- shame things ended before we got back to Angry Boy Kurapika.
- did I miss why many of the Zoldyks call Alluka he/him?
- do the bluray releases have a marathon-type option that automatically skips intros/credits/recaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Surely he has been working nonstop during the hiatus and will shadowdrop the next 50 chapters on us in time for Christmas.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I rewatch Leorio’s big moment in the Chairman arc frequently. I think I’ll go do that now.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I hope they get around to releasing a complete box set of the anime. I like the show but not quite enough to spend ~$200 on a bunch of different sets when it's already at least partially available to stream with my current subscriptions.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah I don't understand, all that happening at once is friggin' awesome and makes me want to do a rewatch

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Started a rewatch with the upcoming holiday free time, just finished Heaven's Arena. Hisoka is such a great character.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What exactly enforces Nen conditions? If Kurapika sincerely (but mistakenly) believes a target is part of the Spider, does his power work or does he die?

I know I'm overthinking things but this story has a habit of explaining details so I'm wondering if this is explained.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It's possible Hisoka had never gone on another heist, or even done anything with the Spider beyond killing a member. We know he's one of the most recent recruits and the others make comments about his attendance.

Kurapika's vendetta was his opportunity to corner Chrollo into a fight, so of course he was going to show up this time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

You won't understand why Leorio is the best character without the next arc.

Considering this story will probably never finish, the 2011 series has a pretty good ending.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

clearly this is going to be an adaptation of Chrollo v Hisoka, with Gon and Killua watching and doing play by play and color commentary.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if we escape the room do we find a new chapter

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My wife, who grew up thinking anime/manga is weird stuff for weirdos, agreed to watch 2011 with me and she is totally on board. We've been watching most nights for the past month and just got to Ikalgo's introduction. Killua and Leorio are her favorites, and she went from thinking Hisoka and the Troupe are psycho creepy weirdos to thinking they're interesting characters who are also psycho creepy weirdos. She's mentioned wanting to read the rest of the available manga after we're done.

in conclusion, HxH good

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah this is my third run through the series, I pushed her to see this because I was confident she'd like it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Mob Psycho is decent, but if my wife gets through HxH and reads the rest of the manga and wants more of The Animes, the next experiment will be 13 Sentinels.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Ging and giant tree episode is where the show stops, I’m not sure what more you’re seeing.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Finished the wife’s watching last week, she loved all of it and is going through it again to catch things she missed. She wanted more of Kurapika and the Troupe though I explained that it’s coming, slowly, eventually, maybe.

Gon’s Pitou fight was long foreshadowed, he was always a kid with more power than sense. He shouldn’t get his nen back until he’s matured, a lot, or he’ll do it again. I’m thinking there will be a time skip while the boat group gets settled on the dark continent. Leorio finishes med school, Killua explores the world with Alluka, and Gon catches up on that homework.

(lol at thinking we’ll ever get that far)

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

And Pitou is the most changed/humanized/moralized/goodinized of the royal guard at that point.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

and as shown many times throughout the series, he’s a remarkably strong hunter. Sure, he was no match for Pitou, but none of the Hunters actually straight up won their final Ant fights.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

somebody didn't read the op :colbert:

Bad Seafood posted:

Leorio Paradinight is the best character and doesn't get to do nearly enough like seriously for real DARK CONTINENT WHEN TOGASHI?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Kurapika’s path to power is straight up suicidal, that’s kind of a big drawback

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Death Bot posted:

yeah this show is absolutely abt how in a world where the thing that makes you real powerful isn't dedication but the desperation and desire behind it, all the most powerful ppl are fully unhinged. it's great.

another reason why Leorio is an important foil to most other hunters, he’s kinda just a normal dude.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

royalty is a continuous Leorio punching motion

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

HxH: entirely too much Pouf

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

when I showed this to my wife, she ended up wanting to watch 5+ episodes a night, which is absurd for us. hxh is p.good

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

wolf man is a good boy

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

so you want bloodlust, huh?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Komugi is in her late teens, if not twenties. She’s short because she’s sickly and very likely grew up malnourished. She’s naive and childlike because her world is extremely small.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Nen power and serious character flaws go hand in hand. Election arc is a perfect introduction to Ging.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Genius stuff in that arc, it shows Ging is exactly what we already knew. He’s a brilliant hunter and a total weirdo deadbeat.

Is there a convenient, complete collection of 2011 opening/closing tracks available for purchase?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Just bought a vol. 1-36 set new, off ebay. It's a lot of money but I had some good reasons to do it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

excuse me :colbert: Gon and Killua are at least 13 by CA (or even Greed Island) because it's a full year between exams and they're 12 during the first one. I sure hope Togashi got fired for that blunder

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'd read it, Ikalgo is the greatest hero of them all

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Is this special illustration even from Togashi or is it someone who worked on the show?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I was hoping this would be signs of life but if it's not from the man himself then it's not much more significant than fanart.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hisoka is almost sorta kinda maybe a '''''hero''''' in Yorknew, dodgeball, the Chrollo fight and ensuing Spider hunt, if you squint really hard

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I guess some of the English manga volumes are hard to find these days? I bought a new complete set 7 months ago for $450, and it just sold in an ebay auction for $630. I was expecting to lose money on this, not make a profit.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm curious to what extent Togashi fleshed out Gungi's rules, and how much he's involved here.

and yes,

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Clearly this means the manga is coming off hiatus.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think my favorite Ging detail is the first time you ever see his nen, he's making finger puppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't care if it's a weird length season that ends with no resolution, I really want Madhouse to animate the remaining ~50 chapters.