Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Chimera Ant arc was bomb as hell. The recent anime did an amazing job during the Gon and Pitou fight, because it framed it with Gon being the villain and Pitou being the hero protecting someone. It was awesome.

Also King x Komugi was handled really well and was super adorable until the end credits rolled and it played the 'wacky next episode music' after they both die instead of the 'sad next episode music'.

Greed Island is trash except for Biscuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

It's very simple. He's a transmuter, we saw in one frame he was covering himself in aura defensively. Bungee gum has both the properties of rubber and gum. He's 'sticking' all the damage he's taking into his aura using its gum like abilities, but he's then going to 'bounce back' the damage using its rubber-like abilities.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Regarding the backstory chapter: Turning your aura into things is transmutation. Turning aura into steel should be possible, you could use it as armor that way. Turning into pillars of steel is just stretching the aura before doing that. Same with making it magnetic. If those pillars made of aura are separate from the nen user, then that's emission and transmutation. If it was conjuration then Hisoka would not have had to use gyo, as they would have been 'real' pillars.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

If it weren't for the fact that many pens won't work upside down, Togashi could be on his back while he draws on a thing hanging above him. Or maybe he could draw while hanging from the ceiling like some mission impossible Tom Cruise thing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Reading the chimera ant arc sucked week to week, but the first time I re-read what was out in one sitting I realized it was actually good. Sort of like how the Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach was mostly awful week to week but was pretty good if you have it all available. The later stuff in Bleach was actually worse in volumes though cause in some cases almost every chapter in a volume had some dumb cliffhanger with a death fakeout.

Anyway the worst thing about the Chimera Ant arc when animated was at the end when Meruem and Komugi die and it goes into the WOO HOO HOO part of the end theme even though they could have gone with the instrumental part like they often did to not ruin the moment.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Using nen while pregnant won't affect an unborn child cause you can't develop nen until you have a soul and that doesn't even start developing until about three or four years old.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Looking forward to seeing the better translation cause it took me a while to work out what was going on with the abilities. Cool stuff though.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

It doesn't even seem like that long ago that it went on hiatus again. What a crazy world we've been living in since then.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I love that edit of the particularly text heavy page where it changes it to be about putting milk on cereal.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The problem with the hiatuses is that each time the series comes back it’s so loving good. This arc has entire page long text walls describing how best to prepare breakfast cereal and it manages to be the best read in Jump every time a hiatus ends. I hate that this drat boat is my favorite arc.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Komugi and the King is the most well done romance in any Shonen manga and I’m being 100% serious.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I really miss this manga. On one hand I wish Togashi had just ended it after Chimera arc, but on the other hand the Whale Ship arc is some of the best poo poo in the series.

I don’t think we’ll ever see another chapter, but maybe I’m wrong. Until then..

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

All the sketches we get a glimpse of really do make it seem like Togashi can hardly even hold a pen these days. Like there’s no way he’s just making GBS threads it out with low effort to get a paycheck, because the poo poo that’s going on DOES have a lot of thought put into it.

These sketches are so rough but still look great.

Also I’m not sure if that tweet means three chapters or three volumes. Only time will tell.

I’ll say it again though, I’d be fine if Togashi just finished it up as a light novel.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Hisoka’s revival nen is the worst thing in this entire series, not counting hiatuses. I strongly dislike the “o nen of mine” thing.

It’s also my only real dislike in the series so that’s good.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

This is the manga that established a detailed tragic backstory for a character that immediately died offscreen when it was over. Literally any narrative assumption you can make is up in the air.

(okay gyro still has the potential to be relevant but not yet!)

I was in utter disbelief that the Gyro thing was adapted. I thought for sure it would be cut.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

They can’t just fly to the dark continent because there’s some kind of gatekeeper situation. Like, there may be an actual metaphysical reason you can’t just go there.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

This chapter is completely inscrutable to me. I do not have the brain cells right now.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I really hope Tserriednich’s friends and Halkenberg all turn against him when they realize he’s a monster.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Gyro got infused with Kakin DNA and is going to win the succession war.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Meruem was the absolute pinnacle of chimera ant evolution, the worst case scenario. He defeated the strongest known nen-user when considering raw power, but he was still nuked.

Alluka is a higher threat level because Alluka has genuinely good intentions and is still terrifying. If there are other Ai out there that are actively malicious they would absolutely cause more chaos than the ants.

It’s entirely possible the ants are under-rated, it depends on whether the statistical anomaly that is Meruem is sufficiently accounted for within the disaster level or whatever.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Just remember that the canon spelling of Pakunoda's name is Phalcnothdk.

Speaking of the databook that has the hilarious spellings of the names, it has an index for the alphabet in HxH and how that codes to japanese kana. Looking at the notes they find on the tree and with the corpse, I don't think they're nearly high resolution enough to begin to translate, nor do they even particularly look like the hunter alphabet. I also don't really think it's going to matter to the plot narratively, unless the kurta or kakin are related somehow.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I think from this we can further conclude that Hunter x Hunter is very good.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Morel being manipulation vs transmutation is entirely dependent on if he needed his pipe as a source of smoke so he could attach nen to smoke particles or if he needed the pipe to transmute nen into smoke as part of a condition that enhances his ability.

I personally strongly lean to him being a manipulator because Morel fits Hisoka’s personality type to a T. Manipulators are argumentative and logical, vs transmuters who are whimsical and liars.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Wake up guys, new un4v5s8bgsvk9xp tweet just dropped tonight.

https://twitter.com/un4v5s8bgsvk9xp/status/1633699912083996672?s=46&t=5s_DmfHI7K-59vLmt7musA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Leorio rules but he would have died badly during Chimera Ant stuff and it would have hosed up Gon and Killua even worse. Leorio could have been real fun in Greed Island but the timing wouldn’t work for him since he was doing his doctor stuff.

Also his return to the story bring him immediately punching some dead-beat dad who’s kid didn’t even have bad vibes or was unpleasant to be around is perfect.