Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

What was the deal with MP3s that had random Windows and ICQ notification sounds throughout them? How does that even happen inadvertently? Were there people that were like "I really need to rip this sweet track, but I don't have a CD-ROM drive so I'll hold a mic up to a boombox in front of my PC"?

My guess would be some method of recording them during playback due to lack of ability to rip and/or copy protection on the disc so it also mixed in whatever system audio was happening at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Didn't CD drives have like an analog out that plugged into a header on your sound card? Maybe that was something to do with it?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah. Probably a case of not much ripping software (or knowledge of them) available and the only software you found was one that recorded all system audio. Early days of MP3 were a jungle.

Winamp did have a built-in ripper later on and iTunes of course also.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I recently discovered TotalRecorder still exists, and when re-downloading my registered copy from like 2003 I definitely thought about how I had to re-record whatever the hell Flash game soundtrack I needed an .MP3 of because I got an ICQ notification in the middle. UH-OH

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Fil5000 posted:

Didn't CD drives have like an analog out that plugged into a header on your sound card? Maybe that was something to do with it?

Mine did, and I never used it cause ??? loving why and everything played fine. Got zero interference when I ripped CD's. I was young and dumb and couldn't figure out why the cd drive needed an extra cord to the sound card.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

What was the deal with MP3s that had random Windows and ICQ notification sounds throughout them? How does that even happen inadvertently? Were there people that were like "I really need to rip this sweet track, but I don't have a CD-ROM drive so I'll hold a mic up to a boombox in front of my PC"?

OS’ based on the Chicago kernel permitted soundcards to do something most-often labeler in Windows as “Stereo Mix”, which let you play back music and record it at the same time.
This was used quite often, and is the reason why Exact Audio Copy and subsequently eac.log files tended to prolferate, because regardless of codec choice for the audio encode, it gave some assurance that whoever ripped it didn’t do it lazily.

When Windows NT became the basis of every Windows, and brought its new sound APIs, this all changed - because suddenly, that kind if copyright circumvention by audiocards wasn’t permitted, and about the only thing an audiocard was permitted to do was implement some DSPs and OpAmps to make sound as good as possible.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Mine did, and I never used it cause ??? loving why and everything played fine. Got zero interference when I ripped CD's. I was young and dumb and couldn't figure out why the cd drive needed an extra cord to the sound card.

I don't remember perfectly but I think this was only relevant to super early stuff. Like Quake 1 era games played CD music as an audio CD though the header, but anything around win98 era just used the data port like makes sense.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Desert Bus posted:

Because a wire from the CD drive to the sound card's analog mixer step costs literally 0 CPU cycles during playback

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CD audio connector uses a DAC in the CD drive to convert the digital signal to a analog signal that can then be mixed by the audio card.
Except audio cards, as outlined in my previous post, don't do mixing anymore because of copy protection.
The most annoying thing about them is that they all used a different connector on the CD drive end.

EDIT: All of this predates both AC'97 and Intel HD Audio, because both are from a time when audio cards had started moving onto the motherboard, instead of being a separate daughterboard (to be clear, most audio cards also adopted them, and thereby made themselves irrelevant, because the majority of people can't tell the difference that a good OpAmp provides).
Intel HD Audio is also the standard that we're still using to this day, and it's from 2004.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Mar 27, 2024

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Interestingly enough my soundcard (ESI Juli@) comes with some kinda plugboard software. If i route WDM out to MME in i can record all the sound output as if it were an analog connection between the soundcard input and output.
Is that kind of software particularly special/rare, or incompatible with any other soundcards?

The soundcard itself is a relic, think it's from 2003 or 2006, but i love it cause it has 192khz 24 bit, midi input and cinch in/outs (or, if i swap the board around, balanced 6,3mm jacks, but my poo poo is all unbalanced)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Interestingly enough my soundcard (ESI Juli@) comes with some kinda plugboard software. If i route WDM out to MME in i can record all the sound output as if it were an analog connection between the soundcard input and output.

The soundcard itself is a relic, think it's from 2003 or 2006, but i love it cause it has 192khz 24 bit, midi input and cinch in/outs (or, if i swap the board around, balanced 6,3mm jacks, but my poo poo is all unbalanced)
I have a RME HDSPE AIO with a AI4S-192 AIO and a AO4S-192, which I got after a radio station closed down, and by some miracle, there's even a driver for FreeBSD.
I also have the World Clock Module, but it's on a shelf since I don't have anything to use it for.

Sorry, didn't see your question - yes, something that can do that in hardware and is permitted to do it after the driver signing Microsoft implemented (to further enforce copyright protection, among other things - which they needed for HDCP), is extremely rare.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Mar 27, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Here's a screenshot from a how-to on how to enable stereo mix on Windows 7 for the Intel HD audio chip. I don't think the timeline of your explanation is completely right.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Dip Viscous posted:

There are a lot of people who ended up with some mp3s I ripped that definitely have ICQ sounds, because the CD burning software that came with ours did not allow you to select individual tracks to rip; you could name them individually but you had to rip the entire album or nothing. And it also took like two fuckin hours to do it, some absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do it. It was quicker to just record-from-audio to a wav and then convert it to an mp3, and unfortunately that did mean some of my songs have weird sounds, or maybe a hiccup in the audio for when I tried to open a bunch of other programs while recording while having like 16 megabytes of RAM.

Sorry to everyone who downloaded Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult from me. It has like a full minute of warbled audio in the middle because of my methods :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
*listening to an old favorite song, but that audio pop never drops*

Huh, must be a remix

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I miss, in a way, that era of lovely mp3s

kazaa fakes, hissing and pops, random background noise, a few songs with little skips in them which still throw me off when I hear the correct versions

also you guys should come over I downloaded kermit the frog covering green day. do you guys know how to play an "scr", is that like a really good mp3

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

kazaa fakes, hissing and pops, random background noise, a few songs with little skips in them which still throw me off when I hear the correct versions

also you guys should come over I downloaded kermit the frog covering green day. do you guys know how to play an "scr", is that like a really good mp3

Best I can trade is this super racist song parody that's definitely by Weird Al.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I miss the artist_name vs. artist_name early garbage mashups people were producing. I hated that they would frequently use one of the artists' names in the artist field in the id3 tags that would result in them being grouped with the proper mp3s in my winamp playlist.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

There are a lot of people who ended up with some mp3s I ripped that definitely have ICQ sounds, because the CD burning software that came with ours did not allow you to select individual tracks to rip; you could name them individually but you had to rip the entire album or nothing. And it also took like two fuckin hours to do it, some absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do it. It was quicker to just record-from-audio to a wav and then convert it to an mp3, and unfortunately that did mean some of my songs have weird sounds, or maybe a hiccup in the audio for when I tried to open a bunch of other programs while recording while having like 16 megabytes of RAM.

Sorry to everyone who downloaded Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult from me. It has like a full minute of warbled audio in the middle because of my methods :(

Couldn't you just, like...close out of ICQ while you were recording the CD?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

tfw you finally borrow an unscratched NIN CD to rip a clean copy, and the distortion is in the source

Skinnymansbeerbelly has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Mar 27, 2024

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I have a vague memory from the 90s of ripping a song for someone and realise on testing that you could hear my fork scraping the plate while eating. I wasn't purposely using the mic in the process, but it was obviously live by mistake.

Glad I caught it, or that it wasn't anything embarrassing.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

It was quicker to just record-from-audio to a wav and then convert it to an mp3

This makes a lot of sense but at the same time I remember converting an album's worth of audio to MP3 being an overnight operation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A looong time ago when all I had was a portable tape deck from the early 1970s with a cabled mic and a 1960s record player with a built in mono speaker I recorded several Beatles compilations by hanging the mic in front of the speaker. The recordings included background noise of my parents arguing, the dog barking, etc. They became part of the songs and I can still sort of hear them in my mind when I listen to clean recordings of the Beatles.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DrBouvenstein posted:

Couldn't you just, like...close out of ICQ while you were recording the CD?
Well yes, that is what you do after screaming "gently caress" because ICQ ruined the first recording

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here's a screenshot from a how-to on how to enable stereo mix on Windows 7 for the Intel HD audio chip. I don't think the timeline of your explanation is completely right.

Yes, I'm aware of mmsys.cpl, and it's still in Windows 10 as my screenshots show.

Certain cards still have stereo mix, but it's down to specific models - not a Intel HD Audio thing (because it's a specification, not a chip).

EDIT: Bah, I attached the wrong screenshot - but my point still stands.

EDIT2: Also, it's funny that the example has Realtek HD Audio, because Realtek are so bad at producing soundchips, it's not uncommon for them to not work on FreeBSD, despite nominally being designed against a specification - and most of this is down to them loving up their in-chip signaling and having very poor Q/A.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm just saying it didn't disappear with the move to NT based Windows versions like XP, it lived beyond that. They redid audio in Windows 8 though, maybe that's when they intentionally broke it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm just saying it didn't disappear with the move to NT based Windows versions like XP, it lived beyond that. They redid audio in Windows 8 though, maybe that's when they intentionally broke it.
I'm not about to pull my audio card out of my server and put it into my workstation to make sure, but if memory serves, the Windows 10 driver for the RME HDSPE AIO includes the stereo mix option.
The issue is that you can't just mix audio streams like you used to with the ASICs that were often labeled 'audio processors', so lots of companies stopped including the feature, because it needed a complete redesign, which was much harder to do with DSPs.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well yes, that is what you do after screaming "gently caress" because ICQ ruined the first recording

I was always so distracted, I not only would not remember to close / silence ICQ, even after it happened I would forget I was recording until like later on I'm listening to my own mp3s and checking ICQ even though there is no message :iiam:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Once or twice I got an mp3 that was just the first ten seconds or so of the song, looped over and over for three minutes. I don't know if that was a genuine glitch or the record companies trying to poison the piracy well or what, but it was never more than a small inconvenience to go grab a different copy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I wanna say that labels were doing that but I’m too lazy to look up a source right now

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I remember there being at least one major artist-recorded scolding about piracy that was masquerading as the real song, but i couldn't find it quickly. I bet someone tossed it on youtube but it got flagged

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

I remember there being at least one major artist-recorded scolding about piracy that was masquerading as the real song, but i couldn't find it quickly. I bet someone tossed it on youtube but it got flagged

Madonna did that for sure, I think Barenaked Ladies did as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was really crazy when a song really did have a weird noise in it and you're wondering if it's the song or someone edited it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It was really crazy when a song really did have a weird noise in it and you're wondering if it's the song or someone edited it.

There's some kind of interference between a couple instruments towards the end of "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater that sounded exactly like the ringtone on my cell phone circa 2002.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
There’s a moment in Bananarama’s “Venus” that sounds exactly like my family’s circa 2000 Lexmark inkjet printer’s page feed. But it’s actually a part of the song, so, uh, kind of the opposite.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cojawfee posted:

One more time by daft punk has this weird grunting sound that I always thought was a messed up mp3

Or the ringtone in rock the casbah

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Armacham posted:

One more time by daft punk has this weird grunting sound that I always thought was a messed up mp3

Or the ringtone in rock the casbah

Lol I always thought this was weird but I knew it was supposed to be there because I ripped it from my CD. Years later I learned that they really liked someone's digital watch alarm and put it in the song.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sentient Data posted:

This is not quite the same thing but there was no funnier running downloaded .MP3 gag between me and my oldest friend than when a hip-hop/hip-hop-adjacent track would have that same like Atlanta-area DJ shouting over the intro of the song

For years I kept a pirated .MP3 of Missy Elliott's "Get Ya Freak On," despite actually owning the album, because when we first downloaded it and played it in our shared apartment that DJ immediately popped up yelling "NEW MISSYYY!!!!!!" and my friend looked at me in horror and said "IT'S HIM!!!"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think they still haven't identified who made that odd 'Insect Horrorscopes' and of course classics such as 'Barney's on Fire' and 'The Devil Went Down To Jamaica' are still often misattributed on YouTube.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Isn't Kompressor a goon? I found his music on Napster originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

Isn't Kompressor a goon? I found his music on Napster originally.

Kompressor is M R CRACKER aka Crudbump aka HELLORBS aka DA SHARE ZONE aka Drew Toothpaste.