Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

O! Say can qwerty

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The true curse is that it uses Cherry Red, Cherry White, and Cherry Blue switches accordingly.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

When your computer doesn't control your camcorder

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Help I need a way to address huge chunks of RAM memory. :ohdear:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Help I need a way to address huge chunks of RAM memory. :ohdear:

640k should be enough for anybody

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Note that no reference to that quote ever surfaced and Bill Gates himself repeatedly denied making such a dumb statement.\
searching for information about the 640K limit I found this long answer:
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/7817/who-set-the-640k-limit

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRrINa-Z9g

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Z80 first came to market in July 1976.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Zilog have been limping along as a skeleton of a company for years. They had some very popular products (Z80, Z180, eZ80, Z8) and failed to follow any of them up properly.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sweevo posted:

Zilog have been limping along as a skeleton of a company for years. They had some very popular products (Z80, Z180, eZ80, Z8) and failed to follow any of them up properly.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory sure was the dominant business strategy of that era.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Finally, the Zilog Z81

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Finally, the Zilog Z81

It’s only the classic DIP versions though, the ones you can pop in an old MSX or whatever as a replacement. The embedded cores etc are still manufactured.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How is TI going to make calculators now?

Apr 7, 2003

July 1985

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
although I do enjoy techmoan being snarky, sometimes I worry he's reading his comments too much

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

although I do enjoy techmoan being snarky, sometimes I worry he's reading his comments too much

What kind of moan did you think it was?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I'm going to the electronic mall I will get an electronic malt from eOrange Julius.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah I’ve felt that before, he doesn’t need to give concessions for insane people.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

I wish there were a way to browse captures of these sorts of things.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I’ve felt that before, he doesn’t need to give concessions for insane people.

yeah, I hope he's doing it for fun and not actually getting stressed by bullshit from dumbasses.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Radia posted:

Seriously. Like it was barely a decade later I was using Amazon which looked, like, obviously more primitive, but absolutely enough like modern Amazon that nobody would have trouble identifying it. Whereas this interface...............WHAT SPLENDORS DOES IT HAVE TO SHOW ME???

Apr 7, 2003

Radia posted:

There was a public archive of CGW and Compute! Gazette, forget where they were, but I pulled them a long time ago and have just been browsing through them. I have the benefit of a decade of looking at them, which is a sort of a mental index.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Back in those days I worked at a software place so I had access to all the magazines. Between Macuser, PC Magazine and Infoworld I had all the articles and ads I could handle. I passed on PC Shopper and the other sales rags.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cojawfee posted:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speaking of TI, this is an interesting bit of history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu3FnasuE2s

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's just the OG Z80 line being discontinued, the eZ80 and other binary compatible versions are still being made.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It's just the OG Z80 line being discontinued, the eZ80 and other binary compatible versions are still being made.

Plus the Z80 is so commonplace and straightforward that if Zilog gave up the ghost right now there'd be a dozen companies ready to fab up pin-compatible eZ80 SoCs by Monday morning.

The ol' gal isn't going anywhere even if its parent kicks the bucket.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

No need for engineers any more!
(Basically testing the android app Imgur upload)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Now including 4 extra Boomer elipses!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LimaBiker posted:

I heard the boss is getting one of those computers....

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LimaBiker posted:

And they are not even proper … ellipsis, but dot space dot space dot . . .

More on topic, it's fun how exactly that marketing mirrors the more optimistic pitches for AI in the workplace.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

I work with a guy who is about 35 and uses them constantly…

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Computer viking posted:

And they are not even proper … ellipsis, but dot space dot space dot . . .

More on topic, it's fun how exactly that marketing mirrors the more optimistic pitches for AI in the workplace.

I particularly like the atomic-age IBM logo. We're nuclear somehow! Atoms to the rescue!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

LimaBiker posted:

I never knew they were an actual thing that got used in print until seeing that ad... always thought it was just a consequence of people not having to write anything their entire lives until they have to do email communication... my horse won't eat his multivitamins... then they look at how co-workers in their age group write and copy them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Letmebefrank posted:

No need for engineers any more!
(Basically testing the android app Imgur upload)

At least IBM is insinuating that your engineers can be freed up to do more useful tasks than basic calculation. that same ad today would talk up how you can just shitcan everyone and let IBM’s WatsonGPT be the head of every department at your company.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Beve Stuscemi posted:

At least IBM is insinuating that your engineers can be freed up to do more useful tasks than basic calculation. that same ad today would talk up how you can just shitcan everyone and let IBM’s WatsonGPT be the head of every department at your company.

I mean they're suggesting you could free them up but what they mean is "this tool lets you drive down the value of skilled labour".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
something something punch cards for genocide to reduce labor cost.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
E: wrong thread for this post, ignore it

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

I never knew they were an actual thing that got used in print until seeing that ad... always thought it was just a consequence of people not having to write anything their entire lives until they have to do email communication... my horse won't eat his multivitamins... then they look at how co-workers in their age group write and copy them.

The true Boomer move is to just start hitting "." or worse "," whenever your brain slips out of gear and don't stop until you figure out the next thing you're going to write.

my horse,,,,,,,,,,won't eat his multivitamins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do u have any ideas????

Pham Nuwen has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Apr 22, 2024