Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

afen posted:

Here you go! It's short for "Balsam for sjelen", cool music to listen to when you want to relax.

a majority of this list is extremely in my wheelhouse, but special shout out to bluetech and ott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powered Descent posted:

The full video that comes from is certainly something. I'm not sure quite what, but it's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1En6hAOA7LE

Lest we forget the Mother of All Demos.

Full Demo:
https://youtu.be/yJDv-zdhzMY

Highlights:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCGFadV4FqU193yw84Q_5u35aCl25f6ru

In ~90minutes this demo from 1968 showed off

• Computer system with interactive display
  • Mouse pointing device
  • Light pen for interacting with the display
  • ARPANET, a precursor to the modern internet, used for remote collaboration
  • Real-time collaborative editing over a network
  • Word processing: Demonstrated editing and formatting text
  • Hyperlinking: Navigating between different sections of a document
  • Outline processing: Organizing information hierarchically
  • Dynamic file linking: Embedding content from one document into another
  • Remote procedure call: Executing commands on a remote computer
  • Video conferencing: Live audio and video communication between remote locations
  • Remote collaboration: Collaborative editing and communication between geographically dispersed individuals
  • Teleconferencing: Group communication over a network, including shared documents and whiteboard functionality

The whole "collaborative" concept really did not kick off until the world decided everyone had to stay home.

Thank you, Douglas Engelbart

Thangelbart

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

They do the look at your hands in VR thing in three body problem and I was yelling this at my wife

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From 1955, new technologies that are just around the corner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvePt9NXw-4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love that video phone calls were second only to flying cars in the “coming any day now” and “wildly futuristic” categories, we got that technology delivered to us, it’s easy, quick, and works great, and everyone is like “ew, don’t FaceTime me, call me if you must, but I’d really rather you text me”

They delivered us the future and we hate it lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flying cars would be a nightmare too tbh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

This kid is a giant loser dork

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

A fuse would've been a good idea.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, I don't want to have to file a flight plan when I'm going to the shops

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They delivered us the future and we hate it lol

This should be the new thread title.

I hate Facetime but I started using it with my Dad to help him feel less isolated and make it easier for me to see if he's taking care of himself. Sometimes when I call he gets confused and thinks that it's a voice call and holds the phone up to his ear so I get a nice closeup of his ancient man-ear and hearing aid.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Too many dumbasses can’t handle driving cars that stay on the ground.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

do you think they put the "Heroes and Horrors" thing on the screen because everybody in the test groups thought the kid was saying "heroes & whores"?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/liquid_aka_Jeff/status/1774541069465653613?s=20

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It annoys me they aren’t stacked more neatly

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

History Comes Inside! posted:

It annoys me they aren’t stacked more neatly

those colorful ones at the back are the off-brand ones that had the lump at one end, you could never stack them well

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is only 64 megabytes.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Mak0rz posted:

Correct. I count 20x5x5 == 500 cards, and PS1 stock memory cards store 128kB each. So just shy of a total of 64MB.

As an ex-PS1 programmer, those drat cards were the worst things to work with. Mostly because it was necessary to write your code to conform to Sony's strict and lengthy Technical Requirements Checklist, which dictated how your program was supposed to behave if (say) someone pulled the memory card out mid-save, or disconnected a controller mid-game. It was super tedious to write that code and often handed off to an intern. "Welcome to the games industry kid, before you get to be Chief Game Engineer on Final Fantasy XVXIC, pay your dues by writing this god-awful and unexciting code."

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Most of those aftermarket ones with the aforementioned lump on one end were 1mb+ cards.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe they’re referring to it in megabits? “mb” is nonstandard either way

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Would mb not be a millibit?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Would mb not be a millibit?

Yes it would be.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
In the mid-eighties you could open respectable magazines like Compute! and see ads for software that facilitated piracy. What a time!

]

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The best part is they surely had to know their target audience wasn’t just gonna steal that tool too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In the mid-eighties you could open respectable magazines like Compute! and see ads for software that facilitated piracy. What a time!

]

it was a better time

I wish we had release groups running ads in 90s EGM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reading classifieds for used computers back in the early-mid 90s was fun, people selling their C64s and Amigas and it was always some variant of "comes with 200 games (4 original)"

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
On a related note I think the SID on my C64 has kicked the bucket. As a total purist none of the modern clones will suffice, so I'm going to have to roll the dice getting a used one from Eastern Europe.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

]

In the mid 80s you could open a magazine like Your Sinclair and see type-in programs that replaced the loader part of a commercial game with a hacked one to give cheats like infinite lives etc

Mr Tall
May 6, 2009

minato posted:

Correct. I count 20x5x5 == 500 cards, and PS1 stock memory cards store 128kB each. So just shy of a total of 64MB.

As an ex-PS1 programmer, those drat cards were the worst things to work with. Mostly because it was necessary to write your code to conform to Sony's strict and lengthy Technical Requirements Checklist, which dictated how your program was supposed to behave if (say) someone pulled the memory card out mid-save, or disconnected a controller mid-game. It was super tedious to write that code and often handed off to an intern. "Welcome to the games industry kid, before you get to be Chief Game Engineer on Final Fantasy XVXIC, pay your dues by writing this god-awful and unexciting code."

Oh god this. Remember when the PS2 first came out, where you had to use the massive string for Memory Card (8MB) (TM) for Playstation 2 (TM) on a maximum of 640 pixels width screen, and you'd fail TRC for the slightest inaccuracy. *shudder*

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If you aren't listening through a pair of Koss Porta-Pros or some off-white "Multimedia Speaker Systems", are you even really hearing music?

What's wrong with my Porta-Pros, huh?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yo Humphreys, this you?

https://i.imgur.com/35xNXbF.mp4

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

LOVE that remote.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol holy poo poo that remote

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Unrelated:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

amazing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't know Anal OG was even sick!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If no nerdcore artist called Anal O.G. exists then one has to be invented posthaste.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

If no nerdcore artist called Anal O.G. exists then one has to be invented posthaste.

it u

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trabant posted:

Unrelated:

That disc is far too big. It’s never going to fit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

That makes me wonder...why didn't Laserdiscs have artwork on the top like CDs and DVDs? Was there something about the writing/reading of them that necessitated it be the "blank" disc on the top?

Or did some HAVE artwork, but what few I've ever seen just didn't because the studio cheaped out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

That makes me wonder...why didn't Laserdiscs have artwork on the top like CDs and DVDs? Was there something about the writing/reading of them that necessitated it be the "blank" disc on the top?

Or did some HAVE artwork, but what few I've ever seen just didn't because the studio cheaped out?

Laserdiscs could play 30 or 60 minutes per side depending on the recording format, so they typically used both sides to keep the disc count down.