Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The cable connections suggest it had to be used with batteries. A is the filament voltage, B the plate voltage (multiple different ones) and C the negative grid bias voltage.
Whenever possible, people used a battery replacer for the high voltage - but often kept using the battery for the filament voltage, because those were usually lead acid rechargeables while the plate battery wasn't. The grid bias battery could last a year or so, so that never was a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which tech relics did you use to consume the OJ Simpson trial?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Cable television.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I used to watch the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on E! before the OJ trial, and then they switched to 100% daily coverage of that. I tuned in every day hoping the trial would be over so I could watch the Smothers Brothers again. When the trial finally ended, E! completely changed their schedule and the Smothers Brothers were no more.

OJ Simpson killed the Smothers Brothers.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

c-band satellite tv. Back in the day if you had c-band your entire house could only watch one satellite channel at a time, as the dish had to physically move to point to different satellites (Meaning that changing channels could take minutes). My parents had two decoders in the house, one in the living room and one in their bedroom. Many arguments on who could watch satellite when were had, my dad usually winning out to watch cops, followed by my mom who would tape sitcoms to watch in the evening. When the chase happened dad of course tuned to it. I remember it interrupting a program I was watching but I can't for the life of me remember what.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

First of May posted:

I used to watch the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on E! before the OJ trial, and then they switched to 100% daily coverage of that. I tuned in every day hoping the trial would be over so I could watch the Smothers Brothers again. When the trial finally ended, E! completely changed their schedule and the Smothers Brothers were no more.

OJ Simpson killed the Smothers Brothers.

:hmmyes: <- yo-yo man

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:science:

https://twitter.com/Aftermath_site/status/1778440642252755173

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which tech relics did you use to consume the OJ Simpson trial?
I still remember our P.E. teacher deciding it was really important to tell us all the outcome of the trial while we were in the middle of running around the track. Very high-tech for the era

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

What do you even play on a G3 mac? Quake and that’s it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

snorch posted:

Starcraft, Civ, Age of Empires II, Unreal Tournament...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

snorch posted:

the doorstop

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My bad I forgot how many actual mac ports there actually were. You’d definitely be buying all your own games then.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

TLO rollcall

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also pretty sure that's a G4, the G3 was light blue.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sweevo posted:

TLO rollcall

I'd like to point out that this photo was taken in Lee's Summit, MO circa 2003, so it's actually possible that this was a Something Awful Rollcall, like Lowtax was lurking just out of frame

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Data Graham posted:

Also pretty sure that's a G4, the G3 was light blue.

Yeah that's a G4, the G3 in that formfactor was from the like one year window where Apple made computers that were neither beige nor gray. :rip: colorful iMacs, thought of graphite and died.

Also from experience it wasn't uncommon in that era to have games ship with both the mac and PC versions on one CD (at least if you bought the mac version), so you might get lucky and somebody had one of those instead of a pure PC version rather than having to buy a dedicated mac copy. On the other hand if you (or your parents) could afford a mac you could probably afford to buy your own copy of Quake3 and UT99 anyway.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd like to point out that this photo was taken in Lee's Summit, MO circa 2003, so it's actually possible that this was a Something Awful Rollcall, like Lowtax was lurking just out of frame
I thought the same thing, and the article mentioned Something Awful so the author, assuming he was part of that group, surely Is Here(tm)

Lot of driftwood chains and transitions lenses in that photo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I remember bringing a 33mhz performa 630 Mac to lan parties, it was not a great experience to be the odd man out while all my friends played duke3d, quake etc against each other.

After several years of whining to my parents they eventually upgraded me to a pentium 2 333mhz

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That was not an upgrade!
:goonsay:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

At some point after I upgraded from a 486 to a pretty decent Athlon XP setup, I wired the two computers (both running Linux) together via crossover cable and set up the 486 as an X terminal: you would log in on the 486 and your programs would run on the AMD box but display on the 486. This allowed us to play either Quake or Quake II against each other and was probably the peak of my l33t h4x0r achievements for some time.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Tried to find a thread for vintage stuff but didn't see one...so I'll post this 95 year old relic here :)

An old radio my dad had, me & my mom found it on the top shelf of his office closet while reorganizing & cleaning the house up. RCA Radiola 21, manufactured around 1929-30 & apparently one of the first radios that could connect to home AC power/wiring. Going to check with a local vintage radio place & see what they think, for almost a century old this thing is in amazing condition.

This is quite cool! Definitely will need some capacitors replaced.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Quarex posted:

I thought the same thing, and the article mentioned Something Awful so the author, assuming he was part of that group, surely Is Here(tm)

Lot of driftwood chains and transitions lenses in that photo

Merritt is a woman. Maybe is or has been here though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I feel obliged to point out that I spend the Easter weekend playing Europa Universalis IV well into the night with eight other guys. Full on "dragged our monitors and desktop cases and I borrowed a 16-port switch at work", though we've moved on to wine or craft beer and cooking dinner, instead of ordering pizza and drinking sixpacks of the cheapest beer in the store. Also, we've moved up in life - literally, since a few of us own houses now, we were in the living room instead of the basement

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Apr 12, 2024

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pham Nuwen posted:

Starcraft, Civ, Age of Empires II, Unreal Tournament...

Quake III Arena, Madden 2K, Age of Mythology, Myth II

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hold on, I'm still downloading 15 Tribes 2 updates, 6 of which are rollbacks of some of the updates in the download queue

VVV: holy crap, only a couple weeks ago? I legit had no idea, i thought i was just pulling a deep reference

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Apr 12, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sentient Data posted:

Hold on, I'm still downloading 15 Tribes 2 updates, 6 of which are rollbacks of some of the updates in the download queue

There's a new Tribes game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOTjiQNy8Q

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Lol

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I was part of a LAN party group that ran from 2000 to 2014 or so. I was the semi-official photograph taker. One day (I forget when) I was looking that the front page and saw this:

It's part of a picture I took at one event and is of a friend of mine. I have no idea how whomever wrote that article found it :v:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
who could forget this classic

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
God I wish that were me

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well I got some duct tape and teenage dorks hanging around, you'll need to supply the 'boxes' though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

who could forget this classic

There's even a story to go with this photo now

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Notice all lurkers: the username 'Drew from Mason, MI' is available and so is 'Duct tape gamer'

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ah, sweet memories of The Gathering '98, using Norske Nerder's sound system (which outperformed the official one by plenty of dB lol), waking up the entire 4000-strong crowd at 10:00 with classics such as "Ranma no Baka" and Rammstein's "Du Hast" on full volume. The days of buying CD-R's on 100-disc spindles...

F4rt5 has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Apr 12, 2024

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That's an incredible radio find. Thanks for sharing.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I joined a TFC clan once, and lasted maybe two matches before getting laughed out of the group for having a Winmodem

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
yes this happened

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

F4rt5 posted:

Ah, sweet memories of The Gathering '98, using Norske Nerder's sound system (which outperformed the official one by plenty of dB lol), waking up the entire 4000-strong crowd at 10:00 with classics such as "Ranma no Baka" and Rammstein's "Du Hast" on full volume. The days of buying CD-R's on 100-disc spindles...

Aah, The Gathering.
:nws: :nws: :nws:

:nws: :nws: :nws:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One of my fondest memories of The Party in Aars was getting to nerd out about music with kb_ from Farbrausch in the year they released .the. product.

Most of the other LAN parties I have been to have been much smaller affairs, but also usually involved lugging CRTs up stairs at Universities.
I don't really miss that part.