Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If I attach this giantass solid copper heatsink to my Athlon that is so loving heavy that I have to knock holes in the top of my case and suspend it with fishing line I can get an extra 80 MHz before the CPU overheats and literally torches a hole through my motherboard? Well poo poo there's no downside here!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Kindergarten Camp posted:

Vintage Dosshell which I remember had options to select some fascinating color schemes like grimy green and hot pink.

Ahh, it takes me back. I don't think I'll ever be as amazed by a user interface as I was by hundreds of random interfaces I saw back then when I was a kid. Aurora Text Editor was a pretty awesome-looking DOS editor:

snocked posted:

icq - mirabilis

My ICQ number was only 6 digits long, how long was yours noob?

pre:
1COSMO.ZIP     489964  03-28-92  Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, part 1. New
                               | series by Todd Replogle, author of Duke
                               | Nuke'Em. EGA.
Edit: I don't think I liked it but I sure downloaded it because it was from people who made games I did like.

Item Getter posted:

Am I the only one who used these POS?

I worked somewhere in the late 90s that used them to send files to other companies, but I think they were moving to Zip disks. gently caress you iomega and your click of death and gently caress you to the lawyers with your class action settlement that said that I should get $20 off my next iomega purchase.

Buttcoin purse has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Dec 22, 2015

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
LOL, you guys with your windows games. Pure joy comes in waiting for a 20 minute load time just so you could hear a digitized Devo song before you play a game.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

mess.be

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

gaim
trillian

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
They just don't make game boxes like they used to, I like the old art styles.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
http://i.imgur.com/flZFdWF.gif (big gif)

Mercury_Storm has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Dec 22, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I actually bought the full versions of Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall 2097 through one of those screens.

Also my memory of 3DFX cards is hazy - part of me remembers being super excited to upgrade from a Voodoo3 to a Voodoo5, but I also recall every 3DFX card I ever had to be a buggy piece of poo poo

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

PromethiumX posted:

Interstate 76 has the best soundtrack of any game I've ever played.

Someone make a kickstarter and remake that game with new graphics.

Bask in its glory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayO7P3-uCRk

Would unironically platinum tier buy into this. I have tried so many hacks but the physics engine just cannot run.

fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"
being the first person you knew to jack off to computer images

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I had saved up a bunch of money and begged my dad to help me order a nice video card for our PC (can't remember which one sadly, probably like an early Nvidia or ATI Radeon). I even made sure that the motherboard had the right slot to accept the card. I finally convinced him to buy it for me, it arrives, and it turns out it was too long to fit. There was some piece of plastic attached to the opposite side of the video card slot on the motherboard (part of one of the RAM bays or something IIRC) so it wouldn't seat all the way in. :mad:

But I said gently caress that and after a bit of sloppy research determined I could probably cut a slot through the plastic wide enough for the videocard could fit through without damaging the RAM or whatever component it was next to. So I used a dremel to painstakingly do that and it worked :golfclap: minutes later i was owning little bitches in q3

building computers was pretty fun whe i was a kid

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I had my NES and SNES connected at the same time with their RF switches in serial. I was too afraid to turn them both on at once because I thought they would explode. Now I know nothing damaging would happen, but what would it have done? Would it have made the NES signal interlace with the SNES signal or just give you scrambled garbage?

honestly not qualified to know but my guess would be probably a random-ish looking scramble of both with a bunch of weird discoloration to boot

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The best was to have 2 accounts, one you actually try to win on and one that you keep at level 2 but give the most expensive gear in the game so that you can kill just about any other player except a higher level one with the same gear. People who were trying to win would kill the dragon and then delevel back to 1 and lose all their gear so even if there was someone you couldn't kill, within a week they were killable again. (You did level 2 because you couldn't attack a lower level player in their room while they slept.)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

thathonkey posted:

I had saved up a bunch of money and begged my dad to help me order a nice video card for our PC (can't remember which one sadly, probably like an early Nvidia or ATI Radeon). I even made sure that the motherboard had the right slot to accept the card. I finally convinced him to buy it for me, it arrives, and it turns out it was too long to fit. There was some piece of plastic attached to the opposite side of the video card slot on the motherboard (part of one of the RAM bays or something IIRC) so it wouldn't seat all the way in. :mad:

But I said gently caress that and after a bit of sloppy research determined I could probably cut a slot through the plastic wide enough for the videocard could fit through without damaging the RAM or whatever component it was next to. So I used a dremel to painstakingly do that and it worked :golfclap: minutes later i was owning little bitches in q3

building computers was pretty fun whe i was a kid

I bought a VooDoo card in 1999 that was like this. I had to remove some of the HDD cages to fit it all in there. The card also had its own power supply that plugged into the surge protector.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there was a little local computer shop near my school (this is where i bought deus ex pre-goty in a box) and one time they showed me an AGP video card someone had tried to return where they actually cut the slot bit of the card that inserts into the motherboard down to make it fit in an ISA slot

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

there was a little local computer shop near my school (this is where i bought deus ex pre-goty in a box) and one time they showed me an AGP video card someone had tried to return where they actually cut the slot bit of the card that inserts into the motherboard down to make it fit in an ISA slot

Ah yeah I did the opposite... there was no way in hell I was putting knife to that card that poo poo cost like $250-300

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I bought a VooDoo card in 1999 that was like this. I had to remove some of the HDD cages to fit it all in there. The card also had its own power supply that plugged into the surge protector.

Pretty impressive considering that card wasn't unveiled until 2000 and was never actually released.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhF4zUDDtE

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Msg#: 935 *EREWHON*

09/25/83 01:23:00 (Read 90 Times)

To: ALL

Subj: US PHONE FREAKING

USA Phone Freaking is done with a 2 out of 5 Code. The tones must be with 30Hz, and have less than 1% Distortion.

Master Tone Frequency = 2600 Hz.

>1 = 700 & 900 Hz

>2 = 700 & 1100 Hz

>3 = 900 & 1100 HZ

>4 = 700 & 1300 Hz

>5 = 900 & 1300 Hz

>6 = 1100 & 1300 Hz

>7 = 700 & 1500 HZ

>8 = 900 & 1500 Hz

>9 = 1100 & 1500 Hz

>0 = 1300 & 1500 Hz

>Start Key Signal = 1100 & 1700 Hz

>End Key Signal = 1300 & 1700 Hz

> Military Priority Keys 11=700 & 1700 ; 12=900 & 1700 - I don't recommend using these. ( The method of use will be explained in a separate note. DO NOT DISCLOSE WHERE YOU GOT THESE FREQUENCIES TO ANYONE!

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

exmachina posted:

Would unironically platinum tier buy into this. I have tried so many hacks but the physics engine just cannot run.

I would love to be able to play Interstate '76 again. Such a good game, I spent so many hours playing it, mainly the deathmatch mode against bots (or just driving round exploring the various levels) but I never got far into the story. Really want to try it again now I'm more patient and understanding of game mechanics.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Not truly ancient, but those insanely well done flash cartoons by guys in Japan.

poo poo like this. https://youtu.be/o5FqRzUlXsg

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The_Franz posted:

Pretty impressive considering that card wasn't unveiled until 2000 and was never actually released.

ok so that may not be the exact model in the picture but I did have one. It also functioned as a TV capture card but performance was poo poo and I ended up returning it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I actually bought the full versions of Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall 2097 through one of those screens.

Also my memory of 3DFX cards is hazy - part of me remembers being super excited to upgrade from a Voodoo3 to a Voodoo5, but I also recall every 3DFX card I ever had to be a buggy piece of poo poo

I started with a Diamond Monster card that had a poor man's Voodoo chipset (Banshee, I think it was called). Thing wasn't great, but it was serviceable for my lovely old computer that didn't have more than ISA and PCI slots. A couple of years later I got one of these bad boys:

(pic not mine, which is spooky as gently caress because I also got the exact same monitor as the one pictured just a year after that).

Pentium 3 500MHz, a DVD drive, came packaged with Windows 98 SE, and it had an AGP slot! Inside the slot was an ATI Rage (either a Rage Pro or Rage 128, can't remember) and man I could not wait to see what that baby could do so I fired up a couple of games and... everything looked like hot garbage. Colors and textures just didn't render properly and even the text boxes in Final Fantasy VII were hosed up. Thinking back on it I probably just had a junk card, but after days of loving with drivers and fixes and none of it working I gave up on it and managed to snag a Voodoo 3 3000 from a family friend. All of my games looked great since, even if I technically downgraded my hardware.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Do they come and update it to keep it from going obsolete?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
or was it so much power that you never needed another computer again

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ratjaculation posted:

Somethingawful

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

dad gay. so what posted:

Msg#: 935 *EREWHON*

09/25/83 01:23:00 (Read 90 Times)

To: ALL

Subj: US PHONE FREAKING

USA Phone Freaking is done with a 2 out of 5 Code. The tones must be with 30Hz, and have less than 1% Distortion.

Master Tone Frequency = 2600 Hz.

>1 = 700 & 900 Hz

>2 = 700 & 1100 Hz

>3 = 900 & 1100 HZ

>4 = 700 & 1300 Hz

>5 = 900 & 1300 Hz

>6 = 1100 & 1300 Hz

>7 = 700 & 1500 HZ

>8 = 900 & 1500 Hz

>9 = 1100 & 1500 Hz

>0 = 1300 & 1500 Hz

>Start Key Signal = 1100 & 1700 Hz

>End Key Signal = 1300 & 1700 Hz

> Military Priority Keys 11=700 & 1700 ; 12=900 & 1700 - I don't recommend using these. ( The method of use will be explained in a separate note. DO NOT DISCLOSE WHERE YOU GOT THESE FREQUENCIES TO ANYONE!

Using this right now thanks dad gay!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Yossarian posted:

thanks dad gay!

yo it says not to disclose where you got the frequencies!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Does anyone remember that "3D Body" simulator game, I think from Microsoft? You could fly around various anatomical regions of the body and like hunt down viruses and cancer cells or something?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cyril Sneer posted:

Does anyone remember that "3D Body" simulator game, I think from Microsoft? You could fly around various anatomical regions of the body and like hunt down viruses and cancer cells or something?

Yeah that sounds very familiar but I can't remember what it was called much less who made it sorry

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I started with a Diamond Monster card that had a poor man's Voodoo chipset (Banshee, I think it was called). Thing wasn't great, but it was serviceable for my lovely old computer that didn't have more than ISA and PCI slots. A couple of years later I got one of these bad boys:

(pic not mine, which is spooky as gently caress because I also got the exact same monitor as the one pictured just a year after that).

Pentium 3 500MHz, a DVD drive, came packaged with Windows 98 SE, and it had an AGP slot! Inside the slot was an ATI Rage (either a Rage Pro or Rage 128, can't remember) and man I could not wait to see what that baby could do so I fired up a couple of games and... everything looked like hot garbage. Colors and textures just didn't render properly and even the text boxes in Final Fantasy VII were hosed up. Thinking back on it I probably just had a junk card, but after days of loving with drivers and fixes and none of it working I gave up on it and managed to snag a Voodoo 3 3000 from a family friend. All of my games looked great since, even if I technically downgraded my hardware.

I'm the AOL PC badge.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Cyril Sneer posted:

I thinks a modern "Fantastic Voyage" could be cool as loving poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The golden age of edutainment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlS86FYlCtg

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

microsoft used to produce a lot of interesting software actually

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

JakeP posted:

The best was to have 2 accounts, one you actually try to win on and one that you keep at level 2 but give the most expensive gear in the game so that you can kill just about any other player except a higher level one with the same gear. People who were trying to win would kill the dragon and then delevel back to 1 and lose all their gear so even if there was someone you couldn't kill, within a week they were killable again. (You did level 2 because you couldn't attack a lower level player in their room while they slept.)

Yeah, good times. I tried to start a private server for it a few years back, but it's impossible to get people to play it.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1rOZx0nz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ylWONP4Y7A

i remember the first time i watched this one and was like :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jms0pB4yes8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJxq53At75M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COS-7Zbn3Ig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWYlbsK9r4

RISCy Business has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Dec 22, 2015

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
duckjob.wav

idspispopd

I remember using various hAx0r programs like AODrugs to spam AOL chatrooms with macros and then "punt" people when they IMed me. I was an antisocial little prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mrwuss posted:

Goddamn I can't even remember my phone number from back then but my ICQ number is still burned into my head