Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Nice!

I finally made a Plex server and was horrified to find my dixv rips from 2005 of movies look like rear end on a 4k oled. :v:

I know way too many people who think they look perfectly acceptable and will happily put them on for movie night, while I try to tell them that since they are using :filez: anyway, they might as well get the 2160p HDR file. It's the xillennial version of your parents stretching 4:3 shows to 16:9 and turning on Auto Motion Plus since they paid for the WHOLE TV and all its functions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Neito posted:

Until the last couple of years, scanners in the US had to omit the 900mhz range to avoid accidentally intercepting cell phone calls, as they were protected by law, but not by any technological reason.

Let me guess, if you bought the right model radio this omission could be "fixed" with 10 seconds of soldering?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There's also a 100-stack of blank CDs and probably the best major manufacturer keyboard from the early 2000s. 20 years ago that pic is pure envy.

The second best keyboard. The best keyboard ever made is the same model, but with multimedia keys and volume control.

I liked to use the optional palmrest, but I don't judge those who don't.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

No, this is the best keyboard ever:

KeyTronic KT2001, a tech relic which I have a stack of in my basement. I'll have one until the day I die!

I have sold several stacks of these on Finn in the last few years, so there is a chance you got them from me.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'd love to own a giant stupid old stereo rack from the 90s if people weren't trying to sell them for $texas

This guy wants $3000 for the lot

It's been on Finn (our Craigslist) for years. It's all low-end components that just look very impressive when stacked.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
> * < < * < *

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I got a couple of 160GB iPods from thrift stores, so I spent the last two quiet days at work extracting the music from them, combining it with my own ancient MP3 collection, and then finding software to get everything tagged and pruning duplicates, ending with a couple of hours of manual work file by file. I now have about 14500 songs, taking up somewhere between 70 and 80 GB. Felt like being back 20 years ago and sorting through my MP3s in my dorm room.

Edit: Oh, and now I get to watch my computer sync 14500 songs to the old spinning harddrives in the iPods. I'll mod them eventually, but they work fine for now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

namlosh posted:

What’d you use for this? Picard musicbrainz or whatever?

Picard Musicbrainz first, which is great once you understand how to work it. Then a couple of duplicate file finders just from googling. I don't want to know how much spyware is on my laptop now. I still have tons of duplicates, as the same songs can be across the original album, a best of album, a movie soundtrack, a live album and a best of live album, but I did manage to get rid of almost 5000 files.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
You only have ~12,000 more songs, but I'm gonna guess in a lot better quality than what I have. My own MP3 files are 20+ years old, from when having 128 kbps could get you laid.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Gonz posted:

I know it’s been said before, but regardless, bring back comically oversized hi fi stereo system towers.

I'm doing my best!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

Stack'em up!

Would love to get a Denon DAT and MD player as well, but they're rare and expensive.

Oh yeah, I had some Denon too.

The MD player was pretty nice, but it had a mechanism made by Sharp, and those have a close to 100% failure rate.

Man I hate having sold off all my good tape decks. I don't hate the apartment and eventually house I got with the money I made repairing and flipping hifi though.

evobatman has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Aug 14, 2023

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Windows Longhorn was the best looking OS ever made.

No need to fight me, because nobody can disagree with that.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Gonz posted:

The box art for 90’s GPUs was always totally over the top.

There’d be some random Voodoo2 card that would have a VR werewolf Pope on the front of it, shooting lightning bolts out of a staff at F-16’s.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

What is a "radio-cassette player", and what is "a 60W output"?

gently caress how I hate AI generated poo poo!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I was upset about the clunky grammar in the tweet. I've had some food and sleep, I'm better now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Pretty sure I saw Jeremy Parish posting recently too, I think he's been here long.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Mantle posted:

I suppose that I should add for context in the time period I was talking about there was no such class of "smaller, less feature-filled" notebook/laptop computer. I'm talking about these things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Contura

Maybe the split happened when that class of computer actually became a thing.

I worked for a computer manufacturer, and our internal glossary was very specific on the point that we did not make any laptops, we made notebooks.

It felt a bit like when Burger King says "Oh, we don't make burgers, we make whoppers"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Dicty Bojangles posted:

All the faxing I have to do is via software, receiving end is the same. Sending electronically signed (typed signature) PDFs over the phone line.

There is probably some way to eliminate the phone line too while still technically counting as a fax.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

I'm Norwegian, they didn't exactly dominate the market over here. My first computer was a decade-old ABC-80, which incidentally was exactly the same "computer in keyboard, b/w TV with the controls removed" layout.

Seems to have been the better hardware design, though: The TV was connected with a solid plug, and the extension bus was a decent design inherited from their industrial automation systems.

Our school had a room filled with Tiki-100s, which eventually were spread among the classrooms when the school bought 386s

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I have a very nice Windows 7 messenger bag I paid $8 for a thrift store.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Just spent the evening fixing the eject mechanism on a Sony MDS-JB980 minidisc player.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Nice! That reminds me that I've also got a broken minidisc player that needs fixing at some point too hah. I think I'm just going to have to git gud at fixing this stuff myself.

If it helps, I just did this, dirt simple if you order the right belt on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-KWJatb440

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Also, paying the cassette tax:

what up

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
An understanding of math is still needed. I have several calculators that can do differential equations, but I don't know what a differential equation is, what it does, when to use it and how to enter it into my calculators, and I wouldn't know if the answer that came out was correct.

Of course, if you try to actually build some understanding of math in the population say for instance by introducing common core math, there is a non-zero chance that you will be killed for practicing witchcraft.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

When I was a kid our neighbor had a BeoCenter 9000 and it was the coolest thing ever to 8 year old me.

I have so much old BeoStuff that I need to get rid of because it's not being used, but I just can't bring myself to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

r u ready to WALK posted:

Is there any fun software that only runs on old Solaris?

I have a Sun Blade 100 in the basement and while it's nice that it uses standard VGA and USB I really struggle to find any reason to power it up and play with it. After having to sysadmin ancient HPUX and Solaris servers for work I think it would cause more trauma than nostalgia :psyduck:
https://unixhq.com/systems/sun-blade-100/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFdwHLMkiQ8

Does it run Doom?