Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Real men use a Bigfoot Harddrive.

sweet laptop bro. (I actually have one of these in my office)

Full towers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

LOL, you guys with your windows games. Pure joy comes in waiting for a 20 minute load time just so you could hear a digitized Devo song before you play a game.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

They just don't make game boxes like they used to, I like the old art styles.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

crew posted:

This is how I lost my cyber cherry and made my first babe gallery on geocities

Good lord I forgot all about that nightmare. I used to teach old people how to use computers and a couple of them had this thing.

Does anyone remember the pre-sims game, Little Computer People?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I remember spending hours playing crappy fanmade South Park games and listening to South Park "song parodies"(Basically songs with random voice clips added in).

They had a pretty decent football game, Chef constantly yelling "Hike the drat ball!"

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

You see me now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars.
I've been living on the edge so long, where the winds of limbo roar
And I'm young enough to look at, and far too old to see
All the scars are on the inside
I'm not sure that there's anything left of me

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Same here. I remember one drive starting to fail so I moved all the content over to a spare. Another reason that those huge towers came in handy.

I still have Zip disks that load up and never failed.

I had a goober in my department come up to me and asked if I had a zip drive he could test a disk on, he's been to every drive he could find but none would open the disk. He killed all our drives with the click of death.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Game spy is the origin of this dead gay forum. Low tax worked there until he was fired for sexual harassment.

Gamespy forums had its moments. Getting invaded by a poo poo ton of WWII Online geeks was particularly hilarious.
Bad Ash was probably one of the greatest trolls I've ever seen.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

The first game I ever bought with my own money was Michael Crichton's Amazon. I lost the paper map that came with the game, so I wrote the company a letter requesting a new map and put a dollar in the envelope. A few days later they sent me a new map and there was a hand written letter about how they were happy I was enjoying the game and they sent my dollar back with the map. :3:

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Did anyone play M.U.L.E.? It was probably one of the best multiplayer games outside Summer/Winter games on the C= 64. It also had the best music for a game, I used to just listen to the opening song over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6L6MhSgpgo

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Interestingly, Wikipedia says "Although they are in extremely common use, the terms "master" and "slave" do not actually appear in current versions of the ATA specifications. The two devices are simply referred to as "device 0" and "device 1", respectively, in ATA-2 and later."

I guess they're like SCSI target/ID numbers, in that SCSI devices (at least in the olden days) would have some dip switches or some other kind of selector allowing you to pick which SCSI ID to use in the range 0-7 (although I thought 7 normally referred to the SCSI host bus controller card in your PC). This is because naturally if you have a cable with more than one device on it, you need to tell the devices what their device number is, so the computer can then say "hey, device number <n>, do <thing>" (or at least that's one way of solving that problem).

In terms of IDE/parallel ATA, what really affects you is the "device 0"/"master" on the primary IDE channel is normally viewed as the first disk by your operating system if it's giving you a list of disks, assigning drive letters, etc.

I think DOS does something weird like go through all the disks in order and assign drive letters to the bootable partitions, and then go through them again and assign drive letters to the non-bootable partitions, like C: might be on disk 0, D: might be on disk 1, then E: might be back on disk 0. I don't care enough to check if that's correct.

So I guess when IDE first came out, they decided that instead of numbering the disks they should use the words "master" and "slave", maybe they really were racist? Or maybe it's because that's what the disks were called on some other old IBM system.

FDISK in MS-DOS 3.3 doesn't tell you you're looking at the master or slave disk, it says "1" or "2".

I don't know the logic behind why some hard disks used to not only have jumper settings for "master" and "slave" but also "I'm the only disk".

Old Western Digital hard drives wouldn't work at all if it was alone on an IDE cable with a jumper set, you'd have to pull the shunt completely off to make it work. It might have been a motherboard thing, I'm not sure because we were building real cheap lab computers at the time this happened. Thought the first drive was dead, then it happened again. Real head scratcher that one.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Anyone play DOS Links golf from like 1991ish? I remember there was only two or three sound effects in the whole game and one of them was a guy going "looks like you hit the tree Jim" every time the ball hit a tree.

apparently they were still making games in the series as late as 2004

I worked at a Circuit City in 96 and we sold a golf club that worked with a PC and Links game, we played the poo poo out of that after closing or when it was slow. It worked amazingly well.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

My first video card was a Voodoo Banshee, I couldn't believe the difference it made in Quake 2.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

woodch posted:

First golf game I ever played on a computer. With "RealSpeak(tm)" Technology! Digitized sound and voice clips through the PC Speaker! Amazing!

The same company (Access Software?) made a blatant N.A.R.C. ripoff that I forget the name of off hand, but it was fun. I loved playing NARC at the arcades, but hated feeding it quarters, so this was a great way to play it for free.

Before Links (later Microsoft golf) it was Leaderboard golf, yes it was Access.

The graphics were pretty drat good for a C= 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0W7RT-Yp9E

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is it still used in the legal profession? I think that was the last 'holdout'

I work for an agriculture economic department, they're still a few hold outs that use it here.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Ein posted:

Up until 99/2000 or something https://www.ati.com was just a picture of poo(plastic fake dog poo poo) against a green background. Internet Archive seems to have purged the page though.

And here's a relic that few, if anyone, will remember - the PD format:

It came out years before the CDRW but failed miserably because only a PD drive could read the PD cartridges(the disc couldn't be removed/swapped from the cartridge).

Wow, I didn't know they had re-writables back then, when I worked at Circuit City in the mid 90's we sold a Compaq desktop that came with a WORM drive, they sent us a case of discs and we eventually threw them all out and didn't sell a single one.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

I think everyone had one of those in the mid 90's. Working at Circuit City I probably sold 10 a week. I had one myself, worked great.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

For a Commodore 64 game, EA Adventure Construction Set was a nice program, I spent a LOT of time with it.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

What do I do with this confounded foot petal? I got this question a couple of times. They were, of course, referring to the mouse.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Anyone remember when HP actually made a half way decent computer but looked like it was made from marshmallow fluff?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Also, here is another Nixie tube clock project. A testament to a horribly wasted youth. :smith:

This board is an expansion card for the clock, containing alarm clock circuitry, day of the week display which I made out of a staggering amount of discrete components (russian transistors and diodes), a complete (yet kinda rudimentary diode-transistor logic) video circuitry driving a 7-segment display, showing the day of the week in cyrillic. Why? Because gently caress you that's why.

"che" on the screen (made in Eastern Germany in 1980.) Che stands for "Chetvrtak", "Thursday" in Croatian language.

Yes I'll be dying alone. :ughh:

You should try carrying that stuff through an airport in the U.S.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

As long as it isn't taped to your junk they don't care because all they look at is your junk because they want to see your junk.

This gives a whole new meaning to the term "Another mans junk..."

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

thathonkey posted:

I remember when OS didnt have zip compression support built in and the first thing you'd have to get on a new install would be

I still use 7zip a lot.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

There's a commercial from a while back that shows the inventor of the USB walking through a room while people cheer and hi-five him in slow mo like a sports star or something. USB did do away with so much pain but I got a little irked when I saw it because of the physical design of the port itself - a connector that can fit both ways. How many times have you had to reverse a cable, particularly on a new machine or piece of hardware or if you're in IT and have to deal with racks and new configurations all the time (haven't worked with hardware in years but still)?

It's a huge improvement but a notch or other obvious indicator or better yet the ability to insert in either orientation would have made it perfect.

The mystery of the USB, it doesn't fit on the first try, flip it over, it doesn't fit, flip it again and it fits. :argh:

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

drat, I have or had one of these things laying around, went to take a picture of it but I guess somebody took it. Anyway here's a stock image.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Just dial 10-10-220

Wow, I forgot all about that. I actually used that back in the day.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

George Plimpton hawking Intelevison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9GySeh2t4

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

At work we use Dell's 90% of the time for our desktop computers. I still have a couple of those god awful clam shell cases around. What the gently caress were they thinking when they made those?

FlimFlam Imam has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Mar 1, 2016

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

If you're not happy with your FPSes and your 5.1s you should buy some Monster cables, they make everything so much better.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

I once had an email account at http://www.com it's still there but now it's just some ad service thing with no email. It was cool having name@www.com email account.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Didn't Datsun rebrand to Nissan in the US, because the Datsun brand was really really suffering from quality problems/perception of quality problems?

Yes. Datsun ZX (240, 280, 300) cars are collector items here and there are clubs dedicated to those cars.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I stopped liking Volvo's design when they did this. The early 90's boxy Volvos are far superior to both the mid-late 90's "Boxy with slight curves" and the modern "this looks like basically every other car on the market" look

Really? Around here (NJ, NYC suburbs) I see 'em all the time. Lexus and Infiniti are the definition of "I want people to know I have money, but not that much money" car.

Also, around here at least, Maserati seems to be usurping BMW as the noveau riche douchenozzle car of choice.

I've been seeing a lot of Maseratis as well. I had an Infinity G35 and always wondered why it was branded that way instead of Nissan 350z Sports Coup.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Also I thought the Infiniti G35 was a rebranded Nissan Skyline and not a 350Z? I never knew why they didn't stick with the Skyline name - it sounds cool and also has a ton of immediate brand recognition among weeaboos and anybody who's ever seen Tokyo Drift. (Not to be confused with the Skyline GT-R of course)

No idea, it's got the same engine as the 350z so that's where I got my idea from. I forgotten all about the skyline. Now I guess their normal model cars are Sentra, Altima, and Maxima?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

I never got into the pets games and what-not but I did enjoy watching Strong Bad read his email once a week. I did spend too much time on a silly site I think called foshata in which you wrote in dubbed text for crazy Japanese commercials. There was also a karate fighting website that was basically rocks-paper-scissors but it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

UIApplication posted:

Does SA still have an island or whatever in second life, that poo poo was hilarious

Oh god yes it was, I couldn't stop laughing at the poo poo people were doing.