Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I always played my game boy with headphones so the Pokemon music is seared into my synapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I liked when they made you look up the answer to a puzzle in the manual. That was my favorite copy protection. God help you if you lost your manual to King's Quest VI.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

I used to do internet tech support for Cox in Las Vegas. When I moved to Reno I got the same job with Charter and told them "Listen, I don't do television support. I refuse. If the call center expects me to do anything other then transfer the customer to cable tv on a misrouted call tell me now and I just wont take the job. I'm not spending my days listening to old people complain until the end of time that now the picture takes a full second to load when they flip channels now that they have digital cable."

So things went fine for months and I started noticing that more and more cable tv calls were getting routed into my queue. At first I helped them because it was no big deal. Then it started getting worse. I asked a supervisor what was up and she said there was a problem with the phone system and calls weren't being routed properly. A month later still not fixed. I found out from another supervisor that my department was being dissolved and we were being transitioned into cable tv.

I don't like being lied to so I just stopped taking calls. One would come in and I would just hit hold without saying anything until the customer hung up. Spent the day playing emulators on my work PC. Figured that would last until the end of the week when my supervisor would look at my numbers and notice my hold times were the same as my times on a call. Three months later and the only reason I got caught was because one of my coworkers told on me.

I worked for Verizon Wireless and I hung up on angry prepaid cellphone people for like 3 years before I got caught. Then I did it for like 6 more months before I quit to get another job.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I remember back on my parents old 486 it would count up and write out: "4,000,000 bytes memory OK" on boot

I watched a video on YouTube where a guy boots Debian on a SGI UV-1000 supercomputer.
It actually writes out: "2,148,407,935,424 bytes of system memory tested OK" :psyduck:

I saw this video too. How does a supercomputer take 8 minutes to boot into Linux? My 8 year old iMac can boot into El Capitan quicker.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Those were both great-rear end games

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

We had one of those giant dishes in the 90s growing up. On ours there was no guide channel, so if you wanted to watch a channel, you had to first figure out which satellite to point your dish at and then wait 30 seconds for it to acquire the target. I think we had a cheat sheet printed out with all the major channels. One nice thing was you could watch wither a West Coast or East coast feed, so it was possible to watch certain things a couple hours earlier. It was fun, but I don't miss it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I loved our big C-Band dish. It came with the house and my dad and I spent a summer getting that thing running in the late-70s. Watching interstitial stuff during commercial breaks could be hilarious on national news feeds.

Oh man, I forgot about that part. During a lot of sports events when there would be normally be a commercial, instead you got to listen to the announcers BS with each other.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

stevewm posted:

My grandparents also had a C-band dish in the early to mid ninties, but it was only pointed at one satellite, Galaxy 5. They got 24 channels which included most of the major cable networks at the time. All the channels where scrambled. They had a Uniden brand STB with a Video Chipher II+ access card in it. The provider they bought it from marketed it as "wireless cable" at the time.

Fake edit: Found the channel list! http://www.vincor.com/satchart/chart_g5c.html

Good old Galaxy 5 with the Playboy Channel and the Disney Channel right next to each other.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Veotax posted:

As far as I understand it:

Vanilla Street Fighter 2: original game
Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Same game but faster
Super Street Fighter 2: SF2 with new characters but as slow as the original game
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Super but faster

I have little interest in fighting games but that's what I've picked-up on over the years, so it's probably not entirely accurate and there are probably even more versions

What does faster mean? Is it just running at a faster clock speed?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

I really like this tweet I just read. But how can I share this with others? I know! I'll take a screenshot, apply a filter to it, then post it on facebook. If only there was an easier way...

Screenshot of a tumblr post that is a screenshot of a tweet along with the entire reaction conversation chain from tumblr.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

The ol' Finnish Bookmark

Haha what is that a reference to?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I'm the enya tape

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get it. The image would end up being too shaky to even watch.

https://i.imgur.com/DeljU8p.gifv

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

See also: boats, bicycles, power tools

Yeah at least bicycles give you exercise and power tools can be used to build things.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Just play Nox instead but that game is actually cool and good

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I downloaded all my ROMS for my retropi on archive.org. Installing Retropie just involved writing a file to an SD card. I already had a Bluetooth SNES-like controller that I used for my switch and my Steamlink.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Scooty Puff, Jr sucks

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just use Waze people. Geeze

Google owns Waze, so I'm sure that 99% of the time it gives the same routes.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Clearly your house is haunted by 5v ghosts. :ghost:

And that's why you never leave your TTL inputs floating ooooOOOOOOOoooo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Jesus, $79 for a copy of Settlers 3. I'll stop complaining about Switch game prices now.

Australia has always gotten F'd in the A for video game pricing.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Virtua Racing was more technically impressive than any SuperFX game, also better than most of them as a game too. Pretty expensive at the time, though.

Virtua Racing is good :mad:

Yeah Virtua Racing is awesome. They released a Switch version last year: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sega-ages-virtua-racing-switch/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

I found a higher-res version and...maybe?

I was about to tag myself as the Visa with 15 out of 16 digits visible but then I noticed it includes "0123 4567 8900" in the card number. That did make me finally realize that the random dude having a pleasant conversation on the cordless phone is Lee Trevino, lol.

Ball is in the parking lot. Would you like to play again?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Back only in 2012 we used a piece of software and a TV tuner that would capture the entire band at once and pointed it at towards the city where we were holding Olympics soccer matches at the time. A bit of scrolling around and et voila, we had the control room audio feed coming on. The British team were playing that night and they made no pretense as to the favourites, and a big yell of ‘let’s loving go!’ at kickoff. Was fun hearing the camera changes just before they’d happen on the TV. Amazing it was all out in the clear, although only dorks like us would be looking for stuff like that.

We’re actually having this issue in my workplace with our VOIP phones interfering with the neighboring office somehow. Our provider is blaming the ISP and I’m sure I know who the ISP will blame.

When I was a kid in the 90s we had one of those enourmous satellite dishes where you had to tune into different satellites with dope names like GALAXY 9. My dad subscribed to this guidebook that told you which satellite and channel to turn to to get different raw feeds of sporting events and news stations. You would get to hear and see what the announcers were doing during the commercial breaks. It was pretty cool.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Is the mini pool filled with frozen margarita?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I prefer on the rocks

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Semi-related, I bought a couple of these computer tower carts last year for my desktops. They're width/depth (not height) adjustable, add a little bit of clearance off the ground (for airflow), and make moving things around for cleaning/wire rearraigning super easy. They're relatively cheap plastic & metal, but they're also practically invisible under the cases. All in all really happy with them and would buy them again for any new desktop towers I add to my daily use rotation.

I used to use these at work and they make changing out desktops a breeze.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

an actual frog posted:

we mock his open carry but what if 8bitguy encounters a particularly stubborn, rare computer and needs to pop the case open? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkDll4SW4M

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was gonna say, I loved the ads, I liked seeing the new cool stuff that teenage Jim silly-balls could never afford.

Remember the best buy/ circuit city/ etc ads in the Sunday paper

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Thats awesome. Most 8mm carts are just airline movies lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

There is a longer time between 2022 and 2000 than 2000 and 1987 (MT-32 release). No wonder they are more expensive now.

But as an old man I feel your pain. Early 2000s feels like yesterday still.

The 70s were 20 years ago, what are you talking about?

Edit: oh god

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

10/10 would play X-Com Apocalypse and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Baldur's Gate on, while resting one foot on a half-opened drawer.

Insert disc 4

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The B in B-Wing stands for "best" because it's the best ship in the star wars universe

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

What if tie fighter but three wings

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I bet that R2 unit is just screaming the whole time though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97pJ7qeKLk

That's a feature not a bug

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Hold on I'm about to get a phone call

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I have ADHD but CRD videos I can always get through. Granted I am usually mopping the floor or feeding a baby at the same time but still

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Flashbacks to the days of manually setting processor affinity because games didn't yet speak multiple cores and would throw all kinds of weird game play errors if you tried to run them on more than one core.

I know I remember doing this, but I can't remember what game i played that required it. It was either a Source Engine game or something like Fallout 3

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of tech relics, Mechwarrior 2 goddamn. Great avatar.

I had the 3d accelerated version packed in with my Sony vaio PC at the time. That loving RIPPED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I finally got fiber to my house last week. $70 a month forever. When I called to cancel the cable, cox tried to say "oh we can also lower your price to $70 and we are going to be bringing out fiber in your area soon"
:fuckoff: