Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

:eng101: 480i.

In college I worked at a place that made a video editing suite for Windows NT, and interlaced fields were the bane of our existence. Well, that and the NTSC frame rate of 29.97 frames per second. We learned to envy our European counterparts with their nice even PAL frame rate of 25 and better vertical resolution.

A VHS tape had a resolution of ~240 lines, S-VHS improved that to ~400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Later in the twitter thread they come to the conclusion it’s an adapter for studio photography flash sync— older lights used a Nema bladed plug as the input for that for reasons.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

klafbang posted:

Floppies in RAID 0.

https://www.wired.com/2009/05/five-disk-floppy-raid-4mb-of-blistering-fast-storage

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

The Magic Bullet infomercial where it's a bunch of hungover adults the morning after a nineties thirtysomethings party going nuts over a blender with attachments is about the only one I ever watched all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6EyQ_ihOI

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I still have my Commodore wired up. After 35 or so years, though, the disk drive won't settle down after being switched on so I can actually load anything. The cartridge slots still work, meaning that Moon Patrol is still a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY2LewqmGeU

https://ultimate64.com/U2P_Cartridge_Black

if you mainly want to load commercial software, not your own code/saves

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: I say purely optical because at that time the apple mice were machanical-optical, with a spoked wheel that would pass in front of an ir "eye" inside when you moved it.

...like every ball mouse ever made....?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

The Commodore 128, in it's original box, with a monitor, keyboard, mouse and disk drive, also in their original boxes, in working order, was the best thing I saw yesterday.

I was about to ask which bookman's then I saw the price. :eyepop:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Sprint BWG?

Sprint broadband direct was neat-- effectively DOCSIS OTA using 2.5Ghz leased EBS spectrum downconverted to regular cable frequencies at home. Problem is with only 20 6mhz channels to work with, all shared per transmit antenna, even with clever narrow beaming you run out of bandwidth quick.

Still used in very low density areas and in other countries though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichannel_Multipoint_Distribution_Service

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

I accidentally started a collection of CEDs in high school when I bought what I thought were laserdiscs. Then I of course had to go on eBay to find a CED player.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

modifying gorillas and nibbles to do dumb things and cheat was half the fun

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This owns. Thank you

Also everyone go download BeOS. I loved BeOS and ran it as my primary os for years

I wanted a BeBox just for the CPU lights

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Considering the state of streaming TV/Movies these days, It still surprises me that streaming music is so good. Just pay $10 to any service out there and get access to 99% of popular music ever released.

This is why I keep my collection-- you never know when or if music will balkanize like TV/movies did. I don't want 3 services with different restrictions depending on the label.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

azurite posted:

@GavinPaid

:golfclap:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I miss Circuit City. :(

I don't miss the commission-based sales staff though. When the best buy opened, that was the primary difference.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t even have a landline and I still went to eBay to look for one of those Motorola phones.

bluetooth to POTS gateway and your cordless phone can have a cordless phone.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Quarex posted:

My favorite tech relic ISDN story is when I was talking to a friend of a friend about ten years ago; this guy does voiceover work in his spare time, and apparently then (please, please tell me not still now) the voiceover community standard was ISDN lines and had been for ages.

It's because ISDN was point to point guaranteed bandwidth once connected so you could use a fixed rate codec and not worry about dropouts in places with questionable internet connectivity.

It's only in the past 3 or so years that the transition to full IP codecs like tieline or comrex has taken place

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheDarkOfKnight posted:

Oh good the new media servers showed up at work.

tv club :hf:

our BVH goes to 3000 and still has the original scope and QC monitor

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yep, P2 still very much alive, we recently just upgraded our readers to USB3 versions. The cameras and cards are indestructable-- our gear is from 2010, gen2 1080i cameras.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Man arachne takes me back

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love the product.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Way back in the modem days you had getright which did resumes, a revelation

The more recent Firefox one that comes to mind is downthemall which added threading and sequential filename wildcards for grabbing a whole directory.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

lol, when I was a PC sales dude it was in the Rambus period.
Intel released a series of motherboards for it and no one bought them, so they decided to plonk an adapter on them so you could use PC133 RAM, but they didn't work properly and we got tons and tons of returns.
Fun fact: In both the (largest) PC retailers in my city we used to have a '3 dot' policy, so if a part came back they'd put a dot on it using a marker pen, then stick it back on the shelves, if a part had 3 dots we sent it back to the manufacturer.

ah, the rambus era, where I spent a week calling around different web resellers to find a specific batch of asus motherboard with the "good" rambus clock generators.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Wait, is Techmoan bad now?

I believe Technology Connections is being referenced here

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is he bad now?

I still find him entertaining :shrug:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
You can get ISOs of macOS at archive.org, user uploaded bit as close to guaranteed safe as you'll find.

The Xeon will run boot camp windows fine, and yeah there are several Linux flavors that ran on PowerPC, not sure if any are still maintained.

As for GPUs, yes you need to flash the bios, not all cards have a big enough rom to do it though

An ancient thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-golden-guide-to-flashing-graphic-cards.877441/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
PBS runs WARN now, which blends traditional EAS alerts with connections to cell providers to in theory push geotargeted alerts. Obviously a lot more there to go wrong in getting the alert to the right person over "banner on TV station" but they're trying their best.

https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/contact-information/warn/

You can see a live map of all alerts here

https://warn.pbs.org

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Shoutcast the protocol is still very much around, tunein radio for instance still uses shoutcast (almost all icecast now though) mp3 as a primary input for terrestrial broadcasters.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Both of the Lowe's near me definitely have music playing and now I definitely need to have someone at the other one call me when I'm there and we can compare what's playing

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Holy hell, I had totally forgotten about this technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1pehz1hNtk

this was the last burner I ever owned, and I was real miffed when I paid extra for the scsi internal version and it was just IDE with an adapter thrown in the box.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The UI on the iMacs looks more dated than the Mac itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSS1HB-1Po

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember Epyx Summer Games being the trial by fire for joysticks on the C64. I think Winter Games might have been rough on them, too, but I mostly remember being able to cheese one of the events by just randomly flailing at high speed. Never had California Games, but I assume it was similar.

The triple jump was murder. We had one atari stick and one suncom slik stik and the suncom was far superior

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

nice

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m trying to find the motivation to set this up. Maybe use it to play CDs. It’s been in the box in my garage for almost 20 years now.

Ninja edit: that’s assuming all the caps haven’t blown while sitting there

Worlds bulkiest digital photo frame?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

20th Anniversary of Fast and Furious so you know what I've got.... more dead format. Still and forever sealed...

It was the superior HD format because of the lack of Java, and I still hate that Sony dumped a truckload of cash on Warner's doorstep

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

longview posted:

So might not be entirely the right thread, but anyone have experience with HDMI to RGB(S) converters/scalers?
Basically I have access to a (very nice) 80s Sony video monitor that can take RGBS inputs, and it would be neat to plug it into a Pi or similar and use it to watch standard-def content.
As a bonus I'm now old enough that the flyback whine is barely audible anymore!

I know there are options that convert HDMI to CVBS (i.e. composite) or perhaps S-Video, and there are also some options with a SCART output.
CVBS isn't optimal for obvious reasons.
In theory the SCART connector can carry RGBS video so I'd just make an adapter-cable, but I can't really find any specification for the cheap HDMI-SCART converters that actually says if they output RGB, or if they just put CVBS into a SCART connector. My guess is it's not RGB.

The other option is luma/chroma component converters, but then I'd need a converter to RGB, and they probably won't be scaling to standard def so I'd also be running the UI at 576i50 or 480i60.

the easy? option might be to pick up a used broadcast scaler on ebay that can take SDI and turn it into RGB, then use a relatively cheap HDMI to SDI converter off the pi into that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
neat! here's a whole infomercial with product demo at about 8:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZiDkYzMTk

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

I had this TV when it was new (but about to be obsolete). Bought it in 2002? 3? for cheap when I was doing shifts in master control for a tv staton so I could take walks around the building and still keep tabs on what was going to air. I don't even think it was active matrix and the view angles were absolute trash but it was still a neat novelty that solved a particular problem for me.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

I had one of these before getting a Gateway in 1998.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYf-5V172g4

straight out of the rebus era

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

Did anyone else ever use the DOS web browser Arachne? I randomly thought of it again and went to look up some screenshots for nostalgia, only to find that the latest stable release of it is from 3 months ago.

Yes, although I can't remember the reason I needed to-- this was in a high school lab in '98 or '99 when surely I would have had access to macs or windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

The algorithm bestowed this on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwzQyXAvXI

I thought it was going to be about a company that shipped hard drives with a bad failure rate. Turns out the truth is stranger than that

:eyepop: I guess that's one strategy.