Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Not a tech relic but it's funny from someone that did a lot of presentations across the country

It's almost 2024 and Japan is the only place in the world where you can get a brand new 13th gen laptop with a DVD writer AND a VGA connector from 1987

HDMI ports to screens at random companies just refuse to work with random HDMI/HDMI converters (HDCP :argh:)

I love it, I love VGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was recently asked if I knew of a working PC or laptop with a serial port on it from a guy who needed to interface with an older PLC unit for a wood chip boiler. Was kinda urgent because it wasn't working and temps where -15.

Apparently they had tried USB-serial emulators without success.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

Huh, that's weird. In my experience, USB to serial converters are indistinguishable from PCI/PCIe or ISA/SuperIO serial ports as far as software is concerned.

It's the USB to parallel ports adapters that are a load of crap, because they show up as printers rather than generic parallel ports. However, the PCIe parallel port cards I tried all work, even the weird ones that clearly are using a made-up vendor ID and are actually serial devices that take commands that toggle/read the pins. Of course you need to get the drivers from websites or discs that look like they have concerningly-high concentrations of viruses by volume.

Hmmm maybe it was a parallel port they needed, I might be mis-remembering. Did they still use parallel ports for circa 2000 era stuff?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

At my work we keep one old XP computer, in the form of a virtual PC (from a backup when the physical one gave up the ghost) because it has some ancient CAM software on it and they don't want to invest in the new version. Of course it'll stop working forever once the physical dongle gives up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This popped up for me but since the seller wants 200 euros it's not gonna happen. I'd love a small style 80s Trinitron TV though if I could get one cheap.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

These guys made a song about teletext

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqWoAH5nYU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Put a shirt on Haddock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

EVIL Gibson posted:

He must have found one of the last thrift stores that haven't caught on to bump the price of literally everything by 100%+.

The stores finally caught on that people can make lots of money from things in the stores. And not just electronics. Kitchen gadgets, some old/rare DVDs VHS, and unknown brand name clothing that now has a group dedicated just to that brand.

Even the non-chain stores are doing the same thing in rural-as-hell towns.

That price suggests to me they have indeed caught up to the price bumping