Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Computer viking posted:

For all the things you can say about world of Warcraft, they had a nice amount of movement options. I could move fairly precisely without touching the keyboard - or without moving the mouse. Useful when eating or drinking while in raids, I'm mildly ashamed to admit.

Morrowind had a "move forward" toggle key that was pretty useful. Made long walks before the days of true fast travel much more convenient. It also freed up my beer hand!

Of course it becomes obsolete once you learn/make jump buff and fall damage reduction spells and potions so you can just Superman all over the map instead.

Skyrim has the auto-walk key too but the terrain is so much more rocky and full of other obstacles that it's practically useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

r u ready to WALK posted:

Yamahas XG standard could have been amazing if it had gained some more traction before games switched to prerecorded music.
It's a bit weird that MIDI hasn't changed for some odd 40 years

I remember the PC version of Final Fantasy VII came with a Yamaha XG software synthesizer because its ported MIDI music used the standard. It came with two varieties. One of them sounded good, though not great, and would drop like half of the instruments when initializing a track so the first note for a number of instruments will just be silent until they're triggered to play another note. Can be easily ignored for the most part, but it was really grating for music that start with several long notes such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvHTlWyxH0

The second variety sounded loving mind-blowing, but either because of my lovely computer or because it was a soft synth (probably both) there was a delay to starting music tracks. Not a problem for casual listening, but the three-second long silence between changing music tracks in a game was really annoying.

I do remember enjoying the demo tracks that came with the synth though. One of them had what sounded like samples of high heel footsteps and a door opening and shutting. Playing those with general MIDI just sounded like a dog walking on a piano.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

All it would take is one litigious enough record company, surely?

Everyone slept in emuparadise for ages and then suddenly Nintendo went full SWAT on it a couple of years ago.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Max Coveri posted:

VCDs are still kicking in Africa and being used to give us good poo poo like this.

This looks loving wild

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I saw this meme and thought of this thread
https://twitter.com/yolkfolk_com/status/1274653079489728512

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I realize that this being a niche hobbyist product for niche hobbyist consumers absolutely factors into his review, but I can't help but be amused by the fact that every second thing he says about this case is a complaint about its design and at the end he's still like "absolutely buy it, it's expensive but worth the money!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RandomFerret posted:

VideoNOW and minidvd were both terrible. Optical media just makes no sense for a device that's intended to be held in your hands. That's why this is the superior format:

Solid state, compact, tough enough to shove in your pocket without a case, and you can fit two full movies on it in spectacular quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSsIW9Y6Sfc

Lol

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LifeSunDeath posted:

Die Fugger is a real game, and not just something I yell at video games?

I believe it's German for "The Fugger"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I don't remember seeing this Game Gear ad before

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's funny that "reports a bigger but wrong number" was such a prolific grift back in the day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm just amazed that there are so many 2tb thumb drives available at wish.com

Yeah I was thinking there's a distinction between lying about the capacity of removable storage media and "hey install this program to magically double your memory!"

But now that I think about it there kinda isn't.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Some Goon posted:

At least one of the old RAM doublers didn't do poo poo.

Also, in terms of tech relics, I saw a webtv at the thrift store the other day, are those even usable for anything anymore?

Yeah LGR did a video on this one. I thought they were all like that, which is why I made that post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxssVFeKr8

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Warbird posted:

Given the housing market/pricing in NC and Asheville in particular that is well past conundrum and solidify in crisis for an space aspect alone. I assume he’s donating a majority of this stuff so hopefully it’s being kept in check.

He did a Q&A video a few years ago and clarified that the majority of his stuff is kept in insured climate controlled public storage lockers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is pretty incredible, records that can have different outcomes when played again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5l75romOXY

The Marillion album Brave is a concept album with the last side containing parallel grooves like this. They are mostly the same, but one has a good ending and the other has a bad one.

Also the album came out in 1994 so most people probably didn't even get to experience it. Later CD and digital releases included the bad ending as a bonus track, but the effect is lost there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

barbecue at the folks posted:

For some reason I love videos that delve into how old coding works. This was a fun one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSUrnIpcds

This guy and Retro Game Mechanics Explained are good. I don't really know anything about assembly (or any programming language) but these dudes still explain it in a way I can understand.

My partner is an electrical engineer who is pretty intimate with assembly code so she finds them pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGameMechanicsExplained

There's also Coding Secrets, a guy formerly of Traveller's Tales during their Sega days (before they became a LEGO game factory). His videos are less about programming intricacies and instead more about graphics rendering, but still pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CodingSecrets

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

mng posted:

That's a beauty, I had a silver one. It cost a bunch, weighed a ton, and I was a dumb kid when I decided to throw it away.

Yeah I had the silver one. I think my parents still have it in the attic somewhere. It was noisy and moving it to/from college every year was getting annoying so I swapped it for a regular size NXZT "screwless" Apollo case with a modular power supply.

I don't miss it one bit. I'd give it to you if I could.

Edit: I still miss my Apollo case though. I loved that thing

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Dec 21, 2020

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

To me peak emulation was ePSXe, a modular PlayStation emulator in which each of the system's components were emulated individually via plugins you had to find and install separately, each with infinite combinations of configuration settings that you had to hand-select to find that perfect accuracy/performance/compatibility balance for each individual game

Most of them were by this guy named "Pete" if I remember right

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Aix posted:

and every single plugin had at least three different game specific checkboxes in its settings. thered even be different plugins for the controllers and stuff. epsxe was horrible as all hell and is what made me distrust free software to this day

I had a Voodoo 3 during much of this time, so I got away with using Lewpy's Glide plugin which just worked with hardly any hassle :smug:

Never touched the emulator much after changing cards. It just became annoying. I did dabble again after upgrading my computer to something strong enough to take the software rendering plugin, which had the best compatibility and hardly any config to worry about (at the cost of running everything at standard PSX resolution and such).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

rndmnmbr posted:

Just install a Glide wrapper and use this, it's easy.

Where people get in trouble is with upscaling and texture smoothing. Just play it at default PSX resolution, the defaults pretty much just work on any PC 2006 and newer.

Nah even at native resolutions and such the hardware plugins had a huge host of compatibility issues. Before shaders it was really hard to get a PC graphics card to do a lot of the fancy effects you'd often see on a console. Or even basic effects like text window rendering or whatever, depending on how the programmers told the game to do it. Instead they'd approximate them in one way or another. It worked fine if you didn't care about it looking exactly like it does on real hardware.

It's probably greatly improved now (it seems ePSXe is still in active development, but I dunno what Pete et al are up to), but back in the early 2000s thereabouts it was a pain if you didn't have a machine with enough juice to just use a software graphics plugin.

And many people didn't. It's one of the main reasons hardware plugins even existed to begin with.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jan 19, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lobsterminator posted:

I know my Commodore logo. This is how I browse SA.

E: Good thing this thread was accessible without logging in. Typing in my super long generated password would have been a problem.

Also on the topic of techy YouTube people: I quite enjoy Displaced Gamers, who has similar content to RGME. His latest video on the plaintext source code hidden in the NES Dragon's Lair ROM is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoW6ydYMc8E

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBkg-iPrbw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

r u ready to WALK posted:

If you like tracked music you should check out modizer on ios, it's incredibly slick and supports pretty much every format, including plain midi files and even game console formats like .vgz, .nsf and so on

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/modizer/id393964792

But the thing that actually makes it great is the direct integration with the big module repositories online, so it's like a searchable streaming service for oldschool computer music, it has to be at least half a million tracks in there

This kicks rear end and I deeply resent that there doesn't seem to be an Android version.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flipperwaldt posted:

ZXTune on android seems to be somewhat similar.

Lacks the cool visualizations but what I was after specifically was the repository access and sure enough it does it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is only 64 megabytes.