Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

What about retail software stores? I remember going to Egghead Software to buy boxed copies of games. I bought Fallout 1 based just on the box art and screenshots. I have a bunch of old games in my office bookshelf:

Also PC Gamer from 1998 to 2004 or so.

How many issues did that PC Gamer spine art span?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

Not Always

I forget where this is from though...

Looks like a Hyatt.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Megapixel
VRML
Time-sharing (in relation to computers)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There was an ad that said you were eligible for some special offer if your credit card started with 3, 4 or 5. My friend showed it to me and was wondering if my card started with those numbers too. Of course it did, because all Amex start with 3, Visa 4, and Mastercard 5.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The Wii web browser let you have multiple pointers on screen, but only player 1 could do anything more than point at stuff.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I still like that Ebaum's follow-on venture was a NYC-style high-end steakhouse. It failed, because it's in a town that can't support NYC-style high-end prices.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

klafbang posted:

Speaking of early internet, most probably know that the number of IP (v4) addresses is fairly limited. They used to be handed out in A, B, and C networks before more nuanced ways were available. A networks are the largest blocks, consisting of 1/256 of all IP addresses in the world (and really 1/223 of usable addresses).

Naturally, only few companies have such large allocations, and it is probably not surprising that companies like Xerox, Apple, IBM and HP have an allocation each (HP even has two via the merger with DEC via Compaq).

What is more surprising that other companies on the list include GE, Ford, and Mercedes-Benz. The DoD has 12.

Most of the "weird" registrations have since been relinquished to general use. Apple and ford still have their allocations.

The USPS one is still interesting. You think they even know they have it?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
In Buffalo they did actually remove the toll booths on the 190. 30 years later than they were supposed to, but hey it's gone. Now they store DOT vehicles or set speed traps on the extra pavement.

They've also been talking about going full electronic on the Thruway / I-90, and with that moving the toll-free zone east one exit from the city. To keep up with sprawl I guess.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I don't remember netsend being a thing in my school. I did show some people you could take a room number, add 100 to that, and dial that number from some other room and be put on the PA in just that room. That spread around for a while, and lead to random PA announcements of fart noises, and maybe some jokes about the principal. My brother had a teacher who was hearing impaired, they used her room as a target a lot.

The real madness started when someone figured out that you could call into the system from a cell phone. You no longer had to worry about commandeering a phone in some empty classroom, and people got bolder. Too bold, saying some awful things about fellow students, and it was no longer just a practical joke.

They made some changes to the phone system. All the extensions were renumbered, and kept secret in the admin offices. No more lateral calls between classrooms. The outside lines were also disabled, they had only been added that year.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GI_Clutch posted:

Ah yes, films. So much fun in elementary school when they couldn't get it working half the time. I remember watching The Sound of Music on one at school.

We had a science teacher who did nothing but project transparencies all day long for "taking notes." Each class was basically just copying down the transparencies word for word as he read them off and discussed them in slightly more detail.

I remember in art class one day, the teacher brought out the rare "opaque projector" so she could project paintings from a book. It was basically just a camcorder/video projector combo unit. It was extremely amazing to me though, being used to standard transparency projectors. Wow, it's not all washed out!

I think my elementary school art teacher had one of these opaque projectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charles-Beseler-12300-Vu-Lyte-III-Vintage-Opaque-Overhead-Presentation-Projector-/382898214297

The original was rolled in on the conveyor belt, and then a really loving bright light inside reflected off of it to be projected.

The_Franz posted:

That was our mandatory high school health class. He didn't discuss things though, he would just put a page of text on the overhead and expect us to copy it. You couldn't paraphrase or just outline the important bits either, because he checked notebooks every few weeks and if you didn't copy down his text dumps word for word your grade was lowered, and the notebook checks counted for something like half of the final grade.

I had a history teacher who did notebook checks. He demanded we take his notes onto the right page, and then write our own reflections on the left side. I refused to ever do the left side notes and therefor failed all of the notebook checks. I somehow still got an A on the exams and therefore an A in the class. Who knew?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My DINK Aunt and Uncle had a laserdisk player, but they didn't have anything that I was allowed to watch, being 4-5 at the time. Later, my doctor had one in the waiting room. I assume he upgraded to DVD at home, and "donated" it to the office.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

klafbang posted:

It may also be similar to the old effect where you have a cell phone next to your speakers, and you can hear a call coming in via the speakers before the phone starts vibrating/ringing due to them picking up the phone signals. Speaker/sound circuitry close to the bluetooth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1mlponX_jw

I justified buying new speakers (to myself) with balanced signal inputs because it would eliminate this kind of interference. I'm pretty sure my carrier turned off the 2G network maybe a year or two later. I still get interference from LTE on my clock radio sometimes, but the sound isn't the same. Thankfully it's not nearly as annoying.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

They sort of came back to this with the 2012 Civic. The two blue/green bars on either side of the speed are on a different plane than the rest, so you get a bit of parallax.

I also just noticed there's some kind of light to tell you there is a CD loaded I guess? I've never put a CD into this car.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What I miss is the static generated by a CRT. I guess I don't really want the dust collecting on the screen, or to get zapped, the crackle of static made it really satisfying to turn off the set.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I think it's interesting that the controller ports are still there.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Baby monitors were on the same band. My walkie talkies were also on that band. I had more fun trying to find a signal to intercept. It seems like I usually had only one working battery at a time, so its all I could do.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Forward or Backward slash??

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Ruflux posted:

My dad still calls them that whenever he's spelling out his email address to someone. There's about a fifty to fifty chance on whether or not whoever he's talking to gets confused or not. That said, # will forever be "risuaita", dammit. Screw this "hashtag" bullshit. :colbert:

#butts < "Hashtag butts"
# < "Hash"
butts < "butts" which is a tag

To me it's the pound sign, or number sign.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Trabant posted:

So you'd say "pound butts"?

dirby posted:

I think Guy Axelrod would say "hashtag butts" and "when it's not part of a hashtag, the pound sign is often read 'hash'".

I mean yes, but also I'd use whatever is more fun.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a share house where the wifi router was on the opposite end of the house from my room, and it was pretty crap. I managed to dumpster dive a hub and a poo poo router we put into switch only mode, and used those to extend ethernet to my room. The poo poo router was in one of the other guy's rooms, so we all ended up on ethernet. Even with the collisions, it was still better than the wifi.

My most important use case was to SSH into our shift trading system. A reliable connection was more important than speed for that. Hearing the beep of a new shift available before someone else picked it up was key.

I also didn't have a desk at the time. I sat the monitor on top of the tower, and the keyboard and mouse were balanced on my lap.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think some newer cars have the alarm/dash light when seat belts are not used in the back seat. The CRT might be heavy enough to trigger that, and buckling in shuts it up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We used zip disks in our acad class in high school. They worked fine as far as I could tell. Some guy had a zip drive at home, and loaded snes emulators and roms onto the disk.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

This is the playlist of that cd (maybe) https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjkZEdKLYMYarji7IlyYLsOHXazj_ezLq&feature=share

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It has the wrist destroying strip on the keyboard drawer, but there's not even one spindle of blank CDs.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I can only imagine trying to quit smoking when everything has a lighter and/or ash tray built in.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They had some nice scanners at Xerox. One was 120 ppm simultaneous duplex (so I guess 240 ipm?). I think it might have been grayscale only.

I only used it once, but it took me longer to walk over to the machine than to scan some 500 page doc.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They go by Gravis.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The floppy drive should have a degauss button.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That's me every time I try to get my headphones plugged in on an airplane. You'd think someone jammed a 1/4" plug in there. Or they have the ground in the wrong spot so it doesn't work with a 4 conductor plug.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it's Spanish for "for table" i.e. a desktop system.

Back in the old days you would have a porter to carry it for you.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Seeing as Computer was a female dominated occupation, the term "laptop computer" might be problematic.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

barbecue at the folks posted:

Honestly, I'm kinda coming back around to fax, I think Japan has a point holding on (some) to old tech like it. There are so many occasions where it would be so easy to just send a fax and know that someone at the other end has a hard copy of what you just sent at the moment you sent it, instead of having to gently caress around with scanning documents and emailing pdf's or even god forbid taking crappy pictures of your mobile and fiddling around cropping them and trying to make them look presentable just because you can't be arsed to walk all the way to the nearest scanner/printer just for one piece of paper.

So you're willing to walk to a fax machine but not a scanner? These days they're usually the same machine.

I guess it was 10 years ago when I worked someplace with a fax machine still hooked up, but there was still fax spam coming through. Usually something about a free cruise. Can you still call it obsolete if it's being used to scam people?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You wouldn't fax a car

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I spent much time bored in class trying to work out how to build a ti83 based network using the com port. I didn't know anything about network contention so it would have to be circuit switched. Could a z80 asm app have enough control over the com port to do something more interesting?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like the animated flickering of the CD activity light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dunno if it fits here but definitely a relic. Corridor did a video on Disney's sodium vapor & 'magic' cube that was used in their old films pre-green screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuIVsNzqDk

Is there any reason it has to be sodium vapor lamps? Wouldn't any singe-wavelength LED work here? I'm making a big assumption about a bright enough LED source existing.