Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Apparently they even had a version for the Acorn Archimedes. Apple acting like they invented ARM on the desktop :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKEaX4RjWkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Back in school they told us MP3 was developed expressly to transmit quality voice over a single channel, or CD quality stereo over a dual channel ISDN connection. This made it the de facto broadcast standard from then on out, because all you need to run a feed is a working ISDN line.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I know video crews were using MD players as a reliable no-frills digital field recorder as late as 2010 or so, until those Zoom pocket recorders became the new standard.

e: reading up, apparently the recorders actually even provide phantom power for your fancy condenser mics?
https://www.minidisc.org/tale_of_two.html

snorch has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Jun 8, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The majority of my early mp3 collection was ripped 56kbps shoutcast streams. They would start with a bit of the previous track, and sometimes it's still a little weird to hear these songs without the "intro".

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

The company is still around selling oled microdisplays to the defense industry to this day

What's interesting to me is a lot of companies involved in VR in the 90s ended up in the defense business. One of my in-laws ran a popular gaming accessories company back in the day, and they're doing the military/industrial thing too now. Deeper pockets I guess.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Kazy posted:

I actually had a GPD Win for a bit, mainly used it to play FFXI.

Also thanks to this thread, I was able to format the CF card and get the drive replaced! :toot: Also upgraded to Windows 98 while I was at it.

FWIW win2000 also works pretty well on old pentiums. Back when I was a poor student all I had was grandma's crusty old compaq laptop from '98 (a worthy contribution to this thread in its own right, if I could still find it in my parents' attic), and of all the operating systems I tried on it, 2000 proved to be best for modern use.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMNw99Q8Ok0

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Actually that's scripting.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Canada's great, every so often I'll get an email from my ISP saying "we got a letter from Time Warner asking to unmask your IP but don't worry we don't actually have to do that".

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Picked up a VHS/DVD combo from the thrift store and for some reason the biggest nostalgia pang came from seeing this:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'd love one of those actually.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I have the logitech M570 and it's pretty good. It's nice to be able to just rest my hand anywhere and mouse around without much surface underneath.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
There is only one answer: Photoshop 7.0

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
There's a whole generation of iMacs that are dead forever because widespread assembly issues with early BGA chips killed their ATI GPUs. I've got one sitting in my closet just looking pretty being dead, and the only thing I can think to do with it is get one of those display driver boards and put completely different guts in it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can cook the poo poo out of the GPU with a heat gun to fix them, generally. I have one uselessly sitting on a shelf that I resuscitated that way

Actually I did try baking it to bring it back to life. It worked for about a week then failed again. I read that it's because the flip-chip bonds would eventually crack and fail during thermal expansion, and can't actually be reflowed.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There really should be a Tech Relics BBS

Pretty sure there’s a geezer-run BBS where they still talk about exciting ways to get more out of your Commodore.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

So, helped out a dude going through a bunch of stuff thrown together and picked out stuff for PCs that may work, 3 huge tubs of stuff. One of the things I pulled out was this. Apparently they are kinda special these days. Can anyone tell the model?

Voodoo4 4500. Going by wiki it’s the last Voodoo ever released, and is essentially [url= https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_5]half a Voodoo5[/url].

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I went to look at a used 1996 BMW 5-series today and was very surprised to see it had a very fleshed out sat nav/infotainment system for the time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mNy6tMA1xmw

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Pretty sure you were talking to a tech support ghost.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I had the opportunity to take a bit of a pilgrimage to Palo Alto on a recent California visit, and found this on the back of the Meta sign:

snorch has a new favorite as of 08:07 on May 24, 2022

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The endless swapping of Baldur's Gate CDs is one of my earliest PC gaming memories.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

What's the map of?

Hip-hop history.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
On a train through Italy:

Never Change a Running System.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yes, at every stop they’d shut the whole train down for a few minutes and start it back up before departing.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I remember stumbling across a bootleg CD that had a remarkably complete Dark Forces packed in with dozens of other games. The thing was titled Space Games and although I have tried to find out any information about it it is apparently long since a thing of legend. I can still hear the cracktro music.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I sing the "keeping up with the commodore" jingle every time I power up my C64.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I wonder what extra magic they have in there to make that work, because the gameboy definitely doesn't have any video output on board.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It's weird how often that's the case and you have to force-feed windows the "wrong" driver. This one springs to mind, he goes through the trouble of cloning the card from scans and then has to do exactly that:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1t2_EJG9w

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think the key switches alone would cost more. I did once get an aliexpress keyboard with knockoff blues for around that, but beyond them making clicky noises they are definitely not like the Cherrys, and had quite a bit of slop to them.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I heard mp3 was initially developed to make use of ISDN for broadcast but have been unable to verify. Supposedly that's why they aimed for "CD quality" at 128kbps.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Other than Windows NT/2000/Whatever, and Linux, is there any software that would actually take advantage of four whole-rear end pentium 3's? I'm sure enterprise stuff would like SQL or Citrix or whatever, but anything a normal human would want to use?

Multi-CPU rigs were and are very popular for CGI, since rendering is Embarrassingly Parallel.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Welcome to the future.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6XWwlcjrk

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The music is on the shiny side though, does that mechanism reach around the back? Or does every slot have its own laser bits?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think one wheel scrolls horizontally. Back in the day screens were smaller and web devs hadn't phased out horizontal scrolling (I think at some point Opera would even reformat pages to eliminate horizontal scroll bars) so that would indeed be a handy feature. Those 4-way wheels never did feel quite right.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Milkdrop is still great honestly. I do wonder what those music streams use for real-time visualization though, I imagine they're running some game engine like Unity that's been tailored to the task.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsGB4ZJoQQ

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I do not miss SCSI one bit, no siree.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Seriously, what could you possibly need 80 pins for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Bryce was my poo poo. My grandma got it for my 14th birthday, and I no joke read the manual cover to cover. I still have some printouts of my old Bryce renders somewhere. It was by far the most intuitive and accessible 3D software out there. The unsung hero is probably its deep procedural material system, with a vast library of excellent presets to get you started.

Eventually I graduated to Cinema4D, and now I’m a professional in CGI for film, using tools that cost thousands of dollars and would have probably melted my feeble teen brain with their learning curve (though to be fair Houdini is much easier to learn these days, free indie license and lots of pre-built starter templates).

I can safely say that Bryce, with its easy pathway to rewarding visual results, sparked my ongoing and undying love for 3D graphics.