Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

This is probably just me, but I love how heavy they are. Heavier electronics always feel sturdier for some reason.

The Optiplex doesn't feel particularly heavy, certainly not compared to my previous homebuilt tower which is 16 kgs just for the case+PSU
https://www.nierle.com/en/article/29450/.html

But that said it's pretty solid and I have no complaints about its build quality, there just isn't much space for customization or giant GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

This is the model of 960 I have, and there's all kinds of room.

There's empty space certainly but even the mini GPU covers up a SATA port and a larger one would interfere with RAM and/or the drive cage

But anyway I'm pretty happy with this solution, now that CPUs don't double in performance every 2 years these fleet specials are a great value.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Feb 22, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Bill looks like he's sporting a 10" monster there.

Big willy style for sure. :circlefap:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WITCHCRAFT posted:

The only time I have ever bought a GAMING MOUSE it was some Razer snake-named thing circa 2005 that had a really high DPI setting. It was very flat and symmetrical, and felt awful for gaming. I loved using it for photoshop and other image editing software, felt like a godsend at the time. It died in ~3 years.

Before and since then, I have always used free/extra USB wired mouses (mice?) from like Dell or HP office workstations and they all work great for do video game, no complaint. Never had any of them wear out or die. I got to Master Guardian I in CS:GO with my free/recycled keyboard and mouse and that's good enough for me.

Wireless battery powered keyboard or mouse can go Eat A gently caress Sandwich, don't even get me started on bluetooth bullshit. Never play a game you actually try to be good at with those.
Diamondback? I think all their mice were/are snake-named but that's the one I got around then and I'm still using it lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

I use something like that to turn off a camera at night : I have an old Nikon DSLR on wall power* connected to a laptop for a building site timelapse, and those things are not really meant to be on for months at the time. Sure, it may be possible to tell it to restart over USB, or to add some sort of electronic control over the power - but a cheap mechanical timer is more reliable and less work to figure out.

* Nikon sells what looks like a laptop power brick, though at whatever low voltage the LiIon battery uses. The cable ends in a battery shaped shell you stuff in the battery compartment, and the camera has a small rubber flap in the battery door to let the wire out. It's the most overcomplicated "We don't want to add another socket" design I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure all SLR cameras use dummy batteries like that. All my Canons too at least. I think now they're finally moving to a USB-C power though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

heres my G4 powerbook family portrait. well, the working ones anyway.

posted from the 12" pbg4, one of my favorite computers

The X32 is dead at the moment though after I let my dad use it for a few weeks :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy