Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

fonducci posted:

getting free AOL and not realizing it was dialing long distance and getting a $200 phone bill

I had the internet for a month until my parents got a $1000 phone bill, so I didn't have it again for a very long time. Even once we got a local ISP, I couldn't convince them that wasn't going to happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
While we're on the subject of obsolete MP3 players, this was my first one:

I can't really complain about that thing; sound quality may have been so-so, but it was as sturdy as a brick and still has my favorite shuffle functionality.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

pepito sanchez posted:

i almost forgot about this:

sega attached to a segaCD with a mounted sega 32x

i only had the first two as a kid thinking it would be great. turned out to have a pretty bad selection of games. like yeah, you had cds now instead of cartridges, but it still looked and felt like they were only holding 10mb of data tops.

Maybe I was a dumb kid who didn't know any better, but I really liked my Tower of Doom. Road Rash CD, Sylpheed, superior console versions of Mortal Kombat 2 and Doom, and learning a ridiculous number of control combinations to play Wing Commander:

Pre-Flight Functions
D Move the cursor to select option
A Begin selected action
B Skip entire conversation/animation
A or C Skip one line of conversation
S Start game/Pause
In-Flight Functions
D Move the ship left, right, up and down
A Fire gun
AB Launch missile
B and up or B and down Speed up or slow down
B and left or B and right Roll left or roll right.
Bx2 Apply afterburner burst (keep pressed the second time for continous afterburners)
S^ or S\/ Cycle views (External views and Cockpit)
S and up or S and down Cycle views (Starboard/Rear/Port/Cockpit)
SAB Toggle Missile Camera (on/off)
BC Autopilot
SBC Eject from ship
VDU Functions (3 Button Controller)
SA Cycle through Left VDU modes (Weapon/Gun/Damage)
SC Cycle through Right VDU modes (Communications/Nav/Target)
C Cycle through avaialble options
SB Lock/Unlock target (If in Autotargeting mode)
SB Select Reciever/Send Message (If in Communications mode)
SB Display Nav map/pause game (If in Navigational mode)
A Accept Nav point and return to cockpit (if in Nav map)
VDU Functions (6 Button Controller)
X Cycle through Left VDU modes (Weapon/Gun/Damage)
Z Cycle through Right VDU modes (Communications/Nav/Target)
C Cycle through available option
Y Lock/Unlock target (If in Autotargeting mode)
Y Select Receiver/Send Message (If in Communications mode)
Y Display Nav map/pause game (If in Navigational mode)
Y Accept Nav point and return to cockpit (if in Nav map)

I also forget the exact trick, but I think it involved inserting a cartridge while a CD game was running, and it would cause the foreground of the cartridge to play over the frozen background from the CD game. The kids at school could never figure out how I had so many Mortal Kombat levels they'd never seen before.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Mak0rz posted:

What were some decent 32x games besides Doom: Fart Soundtrack Edition?

I remember liking that, Mortal Kombat 2, and Star Wars Arcade in particular.

But of course I also liked most of those terrible FMV games, so might have just been an easily-amused child.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Wicker Man posted:

Did anyone else play this other bike game and focus solely on loving up the other racers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHl4l7utnU

Road Rash is one of my favorite games of all time, and if you liked it, it's worth checking out Road Redemption on Steam, a spiritual sequel that's still in Early Access, but is very far along and frequently updated.