Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
After catching up with the thread, I can't not post this:

Link goes to a now defunct ad with pictures.

Skinnymansbeerbelly has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Neito posted:

Also IDK if they still do but Bell used to charge extra for "Touch Tone" phones.

My mom was so pissed that grandma had been renting the rotary phone from the phone company for ~20 years, when a new touch tone cost as much as the monthly fee.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The design, which allowed firewire devices to access memory directly, made it so much faster than USB 2 in practice if the CPU was otherwise tied up.

Of course, it also made it vulnerable to DMA attack, so two sides to that coin.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
In that vein, for a hot second KEXP had a full bandwidth uncompressed PCM audio livestream at ~1.5 megabits. Hearing my favorite band live, while driving down the highway, full bandwidth, was one of those vivid "living in the future" moments.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
But I just upgraded to 56k, how could my ping go up!? :qq:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

The coolest external SCSI drive I ever got my hands on had a rotating wheel for setting the ID. Absolutely loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImkZvLOCfA

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Also PC expos were cool poo poo and you could play cool games like "How many PCs are running the same demo", "Count the Re/boot style wizards/sexy ladies", or even "how many pc systems were playing Weezer that was on the Windows 95 disc?"

The endlessly repeated clip of Arnold on the motorcycle in T2 to show off the multimedia experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

I miss, in a way, that era of lovely mp3s

kazaa fakes, hissing and pops, random background noise, a few songs with little skips in them which still throw me off when I hear the correct versions

also you guys should come over I downloaded kermit the frog covering green day. do you guys know how to play an "scr", is that like a really good mp3

tfw you finally borrow an unscratched NIN CD to rip a clean copy, and the distortion is in the source

Skinnymansbeerbelly has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Mar 27, 2024