Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

theultimo posted:

Everyone forgets never winter nights had a ton of mods, even an MMO mod because 90% of them are complete poo poo

.mod is a music file format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Ah, the days when you'd download one song at a time instead of a whole album. Also, the name of the song was what the person guessed it was. You'd get things on limewire like "Green Day - Paranoia" because everyone assumed the name of the song was Paranoia and no one had heard of Harvey Danger so it was probably Green Day that played it.

Weird Al wrote every single humorous song, according to 90s filesharing networks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EX250 Type R posted:

I almost never play computer games or any games really ever these days, but hoo boy didnt my wife like to get on my case about being starved of attention when I would be playing battlefield or something, meanwhile she is and has always been glued to her phone. I never saw them as different but she definitely does.

Same thing here... I think it's not a conscious act on her part, but if my wife's fooling around on her phone and I pick up mine, she'll put hers down and then want attention.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DetroitVectorSmooth posted:

It was so you could use the voice features of the modem, e.g. having a full duplex speakerphone. External modems like the USR Sportster had the microphone built-in. You had to hook up both a speaker and a microphone to the internal ones.

This is actually brilliant... I wonder if my Supra has that, and whether or not I could wire up an old telephone handset to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

And oh yeah all the inexplicable transcendent stuff in 2001 is just a mundane case of the monolith uploading Dave's mind into its computer, and the humans eventually defeat the monoliths by infecting them with a computer virus, and we get that same chapter about the monoliths (the "And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed" one) repeated word-for-word AGAIN for like the third book in a row... yeah, Clarke's later stuff was not his best work, was it? :(

Science Fiction authors seem to get kind of crazy and bad in their later years.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

At work I used a Pentium 166 for work and a 486 nobody wanted for running some Linux clone of WinAmp. I think I hooked up line out of the 486 to line in of the P166, and remoted in to the 486, so it was not that terrible except for the power usage I guess.

Was that Linux clone XMMS? I used that for years.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WebDog posted:

I'm trying to recall that possible vaporware computer tech that was to be the ultimate in software protection. It was called something like Palindrome or something and most spyware sites had some anti-palindrone banner.
The idea was that it was a hardware ID based security where even files were tagged to a machine making it impossible to share things across computers.

I remember something about this, I thought it was a Microsoft or Intel idea and Slashdot just melted the gently caress down over it, early 2000s?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Equalizers provided an unparalleled opportunity to turn whatever you're listening to into a muddy, booming mess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

But lovely low-bitrate MP3's have a really weird, disturbing "clang" effect to cymbals and higher frequency vocals that bugs the living poo poo out of me far worse than mediocre cassette quality. It might be because I grew up listening to cheap tapes, though, never had the money or the 'tism to be an 'audiophile'.

"HD Radio" seems to have this too, especially if the signal is a little bit sketchy; I've had songs come on that had such a harsh note to the cymbals and other high-frequency components that I had to hit the button to switch back to regular FM.

I'd leave it set on regular (non-digital) FM all the time but the drat thing re-enables it every time you change stations and there's no setting to say "just loving leave it turned off thanks".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I had never heard of a Pandora until you mentioned it; seems like the came out at the wrong time with smartphones really coming into their own around the same period. The Pyra does look pretty cool but the pricing scares me!

If the Pyra is ever actually available for general purchase, I'll be pretty loving shocked. Pandora was vaporware back in 2006 when I first saw it and Pyra looks like more of the same, as much as I want one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mechanism Eight posted:

Wasn't the Pandora's main issue its horrific lead time? At time of announcement the specs were pretty potent but- several years later- when it was available it was, as you say, outclassed by an average smartphone. Pyra is being headed up by EvilDragon right? He seems to have his poo poo together but a colleague of mine had one of the first gen pandoras and while it's a neat geek toy I don't really get it? I say this as someone who owned a Sharp Zaurus

all I want is a Linux box that fits in my pocket, has a cell radio, and actually runs regular Linux software not whatever hosed-in-the-head nonsense Google has decided to slap on top of a Linux kernel.

I'm serious, I'll write my own SMS client and cellphone dialer if I have to, I've done it before. It's supposed to come with telephony capability, so if it ever comes out I'd buy one and ditch my Android phone. I don't give a single gently caress about the video gaming capabilities, I just want a personal device that I actually control (again, gently caress you Google).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shlomo Palestein posted:

You could probably build something acceptable out of a Raspberry Pi if you wanted, with the benefit of being able to plug a real keyboard and mouse in so you don't go completely insane thumb-typing.

Pyra's got USB ports so you could plug a keyboard and mouse into that too.

It's also got the LTE module incorporated... buying a modern cell radio and wiring it up to a Pi would be challenging. People have done it with 2G radios, but 2G is being phased out and obviously the data rate would be poo poo anyway. I've been down the Pi route and I think with a lot of experimentation you could get something with the features Pyra promises, but bigger and clunkier.

I'm actually seriously pulling for the Pyra to hit real production (meaning: an "order" button on the page, not just this pre-order crap) because at about $700 USD for the best one (4GB RAM and the LTE radio) it's in cellphone territory, but unlike cellphones I'd expect one to last longer than a year or two.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

I was thinking about my occasional cable modem issues: access the modem web interface, read over power and SNR levels, check the cryptic log entries, etc...

20 years ago: "GOODBYE." That was it. Maybe pick up the phone line and see if it's static-y or whatever.

I'm honestly not sure which is better. Sometimes I wish there was just some simple little portable 9600bps terminal with just text and no ads, no plugins, no malware, no cookies. Just something simple and bulletproof for when you just want to e-chill. Does that make sense or have I lost my mind?

You haven't lost your mind, I've wanted something similar. It needs a community, though, to actually make things suitable for such a medium.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

SSH-accessible BBS with message areas and :filez: areas? There are still some out there.

Sometimes I work places where I spend all my time in SSH sessions and it seems like I may as well have an actual VT100 terminal instead of just an emulator on Windows. I assume VT100s have less ways of crashing than Windows.

I wrote a good chunk of an operating system using a serial terminal hooked up to a Solaris box. It's not too bad, although Solaris's default vi is not very good.

The main problem with a green-on-black terminal is that after an hour or two, the rest of the world gets a purple tinge when you look away from the screen.

Are there any good BBSes still online, with a real community around them?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Did anyone ever have a sidekick? I was a bit too young to have one when they were relevant but it seems they were pretty popular for a time.

When I started school at R.I.T. circa 2005 all the deaf kids (we were also home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf) had Sidekicks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I never planned to get into Laserdisc in tyool 2016 but then I found sealed copies of Space Jam and Robin Hood: Men in Tights for $.50 each and it's all been downhill from there

Same but it was A Clockwork Orange and then someone on Craigslist hooked me up with a good player and a box of like 50 movies for free.

Lotta Disney in there, including a couple copies of Song of the South (Japanese release), but there's also Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Ferris Bueller, The Princess Bride, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles... Good poo poo. Also a bunch of Japanese releases of pop music albums from the 80s and 90s, still haven't tried those although I imagine the A-ha disc is amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I have A Clockwork Orange on laserdisc. It's not a rare disc

Song of the South is really rare and only available in Japan but you can find some on eBay for over $100

Don't know what the other thing is sounds like some gay chinese cartoons

Really? Because I have at least two copies of Song of the South on LD, possibly three. Maybe I should get on that ebay jam and sell some racist movies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i may be wrong here and i have no actual reason to think this other than a hunch, but i bet that the people that pirate media and the people that are really into disney are basically 2 discrete circles on the venn diagram

Ah but there's a growing element frequently ignored: late 20s/early 30s dads of young children. Every young dad I work with pirates kid shows and movies because gently caress paying any money for the eastern european uncanny-valley-CGI bullshit that's considered modern childrens TV.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Humphreys posted:

Hey everybody remember when Magic Eye was the coolest poo poo?

They even made a version of it on VHS. It was terrible. Even our fairly good VCR couldn't keep the image still enough when on pause (even on play) to be able to get your eyes adjusted properly:

I seem to remember Magic Eyes having much more interesting 3D portions than either of those images... the top one just looks like corrugated tin, and the bottom one is... like a peak inside a ring? Kind of boring?

Where's my goatse Magic Eye?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

No ring, 8/10.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Aix posted:

Those text based information services are actually still huge with farmers and stuff in rural africa where 3g and lte still are rare. I saw a documentary on this recently, forgot where though. One services "headquarters" were a wood shack with a dude sitting at a desk with a bunch of old dumbphones and a computer

Back before Internet service was really available out where we lived my dad leased a special terminal from a company called DTN. It received (via satellite, I believe) weather forecasts, corn prices, and other data of interest to farmers. The terminal itself was just a CRT with a few navigation buttons build onto the base. Can't find any pictures but it was pretty neat circa, oh, 1995.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

(and not even necessarily .r03 and stuff but files that were just truncated on a binary level and you had to recombine through a cli tool).

Was this another of those situations where doing it on Unix is trivial (cat whatever*.part > full_file.mp4) but doing it on Windows requires downloading some weird Russian dude's lovely GUI program that may or may not log your keystrokes? Simple things, like renaming a bunch of files at once, or creating a loving zip file up until Windows 7.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

even my untrained ears can hear a difference between v0 mp3 and flac on his high-end system.

Did you double-blind test it? Even single-blind testing can be suspect if e.g. your dad plays the mp3, then says "Now listen to THIS" excitedly and puts on the flac, you'll pick up that he thinks the second one is better.

I rip to FLAC because disk space is cheap and it's the most versatile way to store my music (I can convert to anything from flac), but I don't pretend I can hear a difference.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

i had one, it really wasn't particularly useful for anything especially because of the sad state of android 2.1. i mean the hdmi output worked fine but whats the use of that if none of the video players are compatible with your hardware and you cant get controllers hooked up right because android 2.1 with a lovely closed source bluetooth stack

i sent that phone to someone in yospos and set the boot image to goatse so all in all it did good

nowadays most phones actually support it via a usb>hdmi adapter but its one of those things you probably never used it or even thought of a use for

A $30 Chromecast has worked well enough for displaying my phone -> my TV, and also my PC -> my TV.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

*briskly waddles into room*

*adjusts sarnsung watch*

what.cd :smuggo:

*gets banned for uploading wrong bitrate*

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Well yeah, your laptop is really old so linux is able to handle it. Try to put linux on a brand new laptop with all the latest technology and you probably can't even get the live environment to work.

poo poo, better tell all my coworkers that all those laptops they've been buying new & installing Linux on have, for years, not actually been working. Productivity is gonna take a massive retroactive hit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Only because IIRC ubuntu has an "easy mode" where you lock out basically all functionality except for gigantic icons that say "INTERNET" and "EMAIL"

I will say that Lubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are pretty great for super-low-powered stuff (my 1st-gen single-core Atom processor netbook was brutal under XP or 7).

Ubuntu's greatest triumph was convincing people that launching LXDE, KDE, or XFCE was so difficult it required an entirely different installation, rather that just 'apt-get install xfce'.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lol yes, those nefarious money-grubbing Ubuntu devs and their accursed "splash page that suggests that certain flavors may be better-suited for older computers"

I'm not saying I know why they did it, just that thousands of people are now apparently convinced you have to reinstall your OS if you want to use KDE. Yes, I have personally witnessed otherwise intelligent people doing this.

God forbid you can't offer every single window manager on a single install disk, you might have to do something insane like fetch packages over the Internet!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

This fellow liked them so much he bought four!

He must have had chronic sore throat too because he's wearing a blister pack of cough drops on his shirt front

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Online forms are pretty good for ordering takeout, much better than an awkward phone conversation. Of course if your brother happens to not bother to check if they got your cookies in the bag when he picks it up. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. I'm not bitter.

Thanks to language issues both on the phone and in person I ended up getting char siu pork instead of Singapore noodles tonight... I love char siu so it's not a total loss but it's my own drat fault for not checking the boxes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

And back then of course everyone always talked about how much worse made everything was than back in the 50s.

I've hosed around with a radio from the 50s and that tube-bearing bastard would be happy to kill you because 50% of the time you'll end up plugging it in such that the metal interior chassis is hot.

Hail glorious Nippon and their 80s stereo equipment.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I miss using my big Kensington trackball with an 8-ball socketed in it. Fantastic steel rollers in that thing for perfect feel and smoothness.

Yeah I've got one of those at work and it's pretty good.

I briefly tried it in an FPS and found it surprisingly ok, it's especially good for quickly spinning 180 degrees.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Or the kid who unfortunately had a TI-85 or 86 and no one knew how to use it including him.

I was that kid, except I did know how to use it, having read the manual (which included source code for generating a Sierpinski triangle, so cool). The -86's menus were infinitely superior to the -83. I later bought an HP-48, which was even better and was probably where TI stole the TI-86's menus from.

Later got an HP-50 which had like a 200Mhz ARM chip and an SD card slot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

luv 2 date boys posted:

e: just last year I was living in Japan and was rocking this badass phone:

SoftBank Pantone 202SH.

poo poo ruled.

flip phones were really cool and I've considered importing one from Japan. What was the OS like? What applications did it come with, and could you download more/write your own?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spog posted:

I've often considered getting an older machine with a proper keyboard for writing long things while on the move: perhaps writing my Great American Novel at last.

Sadly, most of these can't be synced to modern computers any more as they use obsolete connectors and software.

Actually, this particular computer and its brother the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 100 should be very easy to transfer to/from using a serial-to-USB converter.

super nailgun posted:

Found this today at the Goodwill Bins. NEC PC-8300 circa 1985. Boasts ~16 hours of operational time from 4x AA batteries. Running software from ROM.

This thing is awesome :kimchi: I've been stalking ebay for a good one at a good price but they tend to be Buy It Now just out of what I'm willing to pay

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

What on earth does it do? Like what's it for?

Well, I'm pretty sure it ships with a basic text editor, spreadsheet, address book, terminal emulator, and a few other basics (including BASIC). It was apparently quite popular with reporters, who could write up a story and send it in via the built-in modem from their hotel room.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I have impulse control issues; I just ordered one.

Same, I ordered one yesterday when I realized how cheap they are. Went with a Neo 2.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

I almost ordered one. My wife's mentioned needing a distraction free way to write since she's been wanting to focus on writing for a long time. Then I remembered I had a EEE PC (netbooks are practically tech relics seeing how quickly tablets appeared and killed them off) that's been sitting unused on a shelf for years. I installed FreeDOS and MS Word 5.5 (MS has a free download on their site these days). Edited the autoexec.bat to launch it on startup so all my wife has to do is hit the power button and start writing. Files can be saved as RTF and transferred back and forth to her laptop via a USB drive. It doesn't last 700 hours on a single charge, but you can see more than six lines at a time and it has 147GB of free drive space!

Hah, I have that exact netbook. Bought it in college for a project, then used it as my daily driver after that until I graduated, plugged it into a stereo to act as a media box for a couple years. It was pretty drat solid although I seem to recall installing Debian was a hassle. Battery is still good for hours after all these years; I sometimes still grab it for a quick ssh frontend or when I just need to hook up a USB-serial adapter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

I use an HP style calf app because RPN is the only correct way to do multi step math without ninety symbols.

same :smugwizard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Same, I ordered one yesterday when I realized how cheap they are. Went with a Neo 2.

It showed up yesterday and it's pretty cool. It boots fast. The keyboard feels like a good-quality laptop keyboard. Pressing Ctrl-W shows you a word count and how much of the memory you've filled. That's about it. Oh, it has a calculator too.

Besides plugging it in like a USB keyboard, it can apparently transfer files to another Alphasmart or a computer using infrared. Unfortunately, while smartphone cameras can pick up infrared (10,000 lifehack articles about how to check your TV remote confirm this), I haven't found anything that can use the camera to receive IR data as sent by an Alphasmart or an old Palm Pilot.