Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

LOL.... I still use a modem everyday. Where I live, it's the only way to get internet. Xfinity ftmfl

Is there a way to get internet NOT using a cable modem that I'm noy aware of? I'm drunk right now and having problems picturing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

dad gay. so what posted:

Msg#: 935 *EREWHON*

09/25/83 01:23:00 (Read 90 Times)

To: ALL

Subj: US PHONE FREAKING

USA Phone Freaking is done with a 2 out of 5 Code. The tones must be with 30Hz, and have less than 1% Distortion.

Master Tone Frequency = 2600 Hz.

>1 = 700 & 900 Hz

>2 = 700 & 1100 Hz

>3 = 900 & 1100 HZ

>4 = 700 & 1300 Hz

>5 = 900 & 1300 Hz

>6 = 1100 & 1300 Hz

>7 = 700 & 1500 HZ

>8 = 900 & 1500 Hz

>9 = 1100 & 1500 Hz

>0 = 1300 & 1500 Hz

>Start Key Signal = 1100 & 1700 Hz

>End Key Signal = 1300 & 1700 Hz

> Military Priority Keys 11=700 & 1700 ; 12=900 & 1700 - I don't recommend using these. ( The method of use will be explained in a separate note. DO NOT DISCLOSE WHERE YOU GOT THESE FREQUENCIES TO ANYONE!

Using this right now thanks dad gay!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I agree with my euro friend ASF, laptops are junk

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Augmented Dickey posted:

so basically the target market is homeless people who have $2k to drop on a gaming computer

Lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's more of a technical relic, but I just scored a 32" Samsung Tantus from my brother in law for free because he refused to move it lol. My xbox/ps2/GameCube look loving fantastic now and the TV has a built-in subwoofer, but god drat was that thing tough to get into my basement... I seriously about gave up. I guess it could count as a "computer" relic, since it appeared to have a DVI port?

What I'm getting at is wide screen, HD, CRT TVs are abominations

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Yes except the GameCube is cool and good :agesilaus:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have TWO bongo controllers.

I don't even have one and now I feel lower then garbage :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

McDowell posted:

Im not old enough to have been there, I read about it in PC gamer years later. He took precautions, too - like having a ton of regenerating HP, but it wasn't enough.

Legit funny story about the wild west of online gaming... Anyone have a link?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

TotalLossBrain posted:

The Wiki on Lord British has a good summary.

Interview with the killer.

Awesome :) thanks!

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Man I was there. When ultima online was in beta they were still trying to figure out how to balance the game and so a lot of the mechanics from old ultima games carried over such as being able to cast any spell by just having a scroll, open line of sight, etc.

Anyway they'd do a full reset of the game world every week or two so the only people who were loaded out with high end equipment were either in big guilds or friends with developers. Our little group hung out in the uo Efnet channel with some of the dev team so we got good stuff. (Anyone remember the player town north of Brit gy?) I remember being given a full plate armor set and a horse which were impossibly expensive during the beta.

The night before the one of the last resets before public release rolls around they announce that Richard Garriot himself would be touring all of the major cities. This I think was meant as a load test for each zone of a shard because the main britan castle was completely packed with people. It would take you 30-40 minutes to shove your way across the screen.

But on Efnet somebody had made the comment that the other big castle in britan was almost totally empty so our little band of idiots made our way over there. Well Lord British finally shows up at the main castle and the entire server goes down. This repeats a few times where they try to get things under control but the load is just too much. Server goes up and down a few times and they make an announcement he'll be going to the next stop.

He appears with chuckles and a few other ultima characters at the other castle where we were stationed up. Remember how I said we were all getting good stuff? Well another player there had managed to pick pocket a higher level fire wall scroll from somebody in our group and within a minute of Lord British being on screen their entire posse of ultima characters is on fire.

And then Lord British died...

You see, when they made the game the developers had it so you could flag a player as invulnerable. But if the server rebooted the flag reset to normal. Well everyone else had their helpers set their flags after the last reboot, but somebody forgot about Lord British.

Shortly after Lord British died the GMs unleashed a wave of ultra high level monsters into the court yard where everyone was gathered. We all died...

I have a ton of screenshots of it on a Zip disk at my parents house somewhere. I'd love to unearth it and publish them all but that's require digging through a lot of storage and crap.

Yowza!!! You gotta dig that stuff up friend :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

slidebite posted:

I posted this in the retro gaming thread but I did some cleaning in the garage and consolidated my old systems that I've had since the mid 90s and haven't touched in years.

U should send me a Dreamcast, my beloved sports version got destroyed :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
TVs are: internet, computers and also relics now so is this a TV chat safe space?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'd love to actually talk about internet and computer relics, not contemporary smart TVs. Consider the humble fax machine, or barring that, the Tandy

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My contribution (maybe shared before?): I have to use a fax machine quite often at work dealing with legal documents and electronic signatures and whatnot, and gently caress faxes. My company uses Right Fax, so most of the time I can fax right from my computer but Jesus wept I hate faxing :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bovril Delight posted:

Rightfax is a god send, no more replacing toner!

My dad has a sweet rear end old phone/fax combo that uses the heat transfer paper rolls. It's absolutely ancient, weighs a ton and I'm sure the company hasn't been around for 20 years. He keeps it because he has calling card minutes programmed into it and has lost the cards. :haw:

Oh agreed, whenever I have to manually fax anymore I make sure to glare and loudly sigh as much as possible

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mak0rz posted:

I am legitimately astonished that fax is something that still loving exists. It needs to die.

I think the fact that faxes are the only acceptable "legal" formats some entities accept outside of physical originals will keep faxes going. My experience anyway

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Ive gotten some good deals on travel to the bahamas from random faxes, seems legit.

Lmao I literally JUST pulled one of these off the fax machine. I like leaving them on a random person's desk that I walk by on the way back to my office :blush:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It's pretty much your average marketing bullshit. I've never heard of Infiniti, but Lexus is Toyota's (?) luxury brand. Another example is that Datsun was the name that Nissans were sold under in Australia/New Zealand for a long time. It took a while for Japanese names to become accepted in the west after WWII.

It's not just brand names actually, but also model names for some reason. For example, I used to have a Nissan Pulsar, but the exact same car was sold as a Bluebird Sylphy in Japan.

Datsun existed in the US as well for quite awhile. I drove an old Datsun and am currently driving an early 90s Nissan truck that I got for free :agesilaus:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Didn't Datsun rebrand to Nissan in the US, because the Datsun brand was really really suffering from quality problems/perception of quality problems?

Yes

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Cool, wanted to see if that was true, or just something I heard once and thought was true, if that makes sense.

Actually I have to partially back that "yes" up, they absolutely rebranded but now that I think harder about it, I can't remember specifically why. Maybe someone not phone posting can find something online :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I stopped liking Volvo's design when they did this. The early 90's boxy Volvos are far superior to both the mid-late 90's "Boxy with slight curves" and the modern "this looks like basically every other car on the market" look

Really? Around here (NJ, NYC suburbs) I see 'em all the time. Lexus and Infiniti are the definition of "I want people to know I have money, but not that much money" car.

Also, around here at least, Maserati seems to be usurping BMW as the noveau riche douchenozzle car of choice.

Fwiw in my previous job as a total loss investigator, infinities seem like really good cars

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Stinky_Pete posted:

I remember when I was a kid, I would see these ads for Internet kiosks, the idea being that you, the homeowner with lots of equity and thus capital to spare (:haw:), can buy a thing that stands up in a mall and people can pay per minute to go on the Internet. I tried to find the ad, but no luck. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I need to get in on this... :eyepop:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
A 2016 Subaru wrx IS a computer relic I agree, and furthermore

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm pretty sure Harvester is on GOG isn't it?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

8 track betamax posted:

Good grief, I don't know what is worse, his beard or the fact that he thinks he's being funny.

Holy cripes he fat

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

:rip: penis man, he flied too close to the sun

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mak0rz posted:

Did they ever make a home DVD recorder that worked like a VCR? VCRs were still holding on during that period between where DVD players were in every household but of course they couldn't record all of your favorite soaps while you were away at work. Then PVRs became a thing bundled with every cable/satellite package you could get and finally wiped VCRs off the face of the earth.

Yes, I have one

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah I should clarify, my device is a standalone DVD player/recorder and I used it to record Roseanne and also the NBA finals in glorious standard def off an antenna

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Last Chance posted:

I have Spider-Man 2 in full screen format DVD and it never really bothered me that much

That's hosed up and you should never admit to something like that IRL

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Whatever they did to do those messages is probably the same way kids in my high school would get Goatse to display on every monitor in the building. Good times.

Probably some form of "netsend", we got a kid suspended for a day because we sent him a message "this is tech support, please leave your class immediately and bring us your laptop"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Best buy really isn't that bad. It's annoying to get approached constantly when I'm looking at new movies or a 4k TV or whatever, but the store itself is fine. The one in the mall of America was also pretty decent from what I remember

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For the record I would kill a man for GameCube component cables. So loving expensive it's nuts

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Holy poo poo you ain't kidding. Auctions on eBay successfully selling for $300.

AFAIK the Gamecube component cables actually had some sort of signal converter built into them, and therefore playing GC games on a native component connection still looks way better than playing them on a Wii with component.

This is correct. There was an article online maybe... a year ago or so that someone reverse engineered the chip but I've heard nothing since. Sorry I should have specified I want to play the GBA player on my behemoth CRT HDTV, in HD (a fool's errand probably).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nigga crab pollock posted:

well i already knew i was going multiplatform but i didn't expect it to work this well

shame the psp runs it so much better than the 3ds because the 3ds has a proper control scheme

whats the worst device that has a quake port

The Sega Saturn :grin:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

doctorfrog posted:

This thread has recently taught me to:
  • not feel bad that I've "only" bothered to emulate the 8-16 bit Nintendo consoles of my childhood on a RetroPie, because N64, PSX, DS, etc. aren't too good on it
  • not to ever get rid of my N64 and games, good god
  • feel so-so that I never got a PSP because it seems like a hella tight pocket emulator machine

Psx and n64 run fine on RetroPie though? Unless you have an older one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There are no N64 emulators that "run fine" in terms of having decent accuracy and still running at a playable speed. CEN64 is the cloest things have gotten, but it still has some issues and needs a top of the line i7.

Yeah sorry I was focusing more on the "psx" half there. Gf plays 64, not I!