Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LimaBiker posted:

Now including 4 extra Boomer elipses!

And they are not even proper … ellipsis, but dot space dot space dot . . .

More on topic, it's fun how exactly that marketing mirrors the more optimistic pitches for AI in the workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fil5000 posted:

You know, I seem to recall never actually seeing any iteration of 4 installed on anything back in the day. Everything went from like 3.3 to 5 and skipped 4 entirely. Was 4 the D&D 4 of operating systems or something

As I understand it: Basically yes. They went off on a tangent and designed a multitasking DOS, complete with a fullscreen launcher to manage and switch between programs. IIRC it used a lot more RAM than 3 and was never entirely finished, but was shipped on some weird European business machines. There is also a separate "4" that was a more normal "3 with a few upgrades" that they made with IBM, but I don't think that had any sort of wide distribution either.

E: MT-DOS 4 at betawiki

E2: Oh OS/2 is kind of a descendant - I thought it was already around when this launched, but no.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Apr 28, 2024

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dick Trauma posted:

You know what you must do.

Please don't snort the fader dust.