Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The coolest external SCSI drive I ever got my hands on had a rotating wheel for setting the ID. Absolutely loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's too bad the original Exile trilogy requires 256 colors because the other requirements are System 7, 2 megs of free memory, and an '030, all of which you have.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The crt-hyllian-glow GLSL shader somehow continues to be the most accurate RGB CRT simulation out there despite being like a decade old at this point. I think the only way to improve it would be to use a 240 Hz display to realistically simulate phosphor decay on a 60 Hz simulated CRT.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Heavily distorted CRT shaders with phosphor persistence measured in seconds are the vaporwave of 1980s business computing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

an actual frog posted:

The old family 32" trinitron wega would degauss so hard you'd feel it through the floor from anywhere in the room. Can't simulate that :(

I bet we could find the right combination of frequency, attack, and decay to feed through a subwoofer to simulate it :science:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You're in a desert, walking along when you look down and see a tortoise...

e: ^^ gently caress goddammit should have hit refresh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Not one! Not two! But three! THREE Shugart floppy drives! :aaa:

Looks like it came with a macro assembler and system level support for floating and fixed point BCD math as well. Groovy.

e: lookit THIS beastie

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Hell with tech relics, I am fascinated by why people used to look like that

Cocaine was cheaper when Pablo Escobar was at his peak.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hold onto all your poo poo because someone other than you will inevitably want to give you a month's rent for it

I say, looking at refurbished full PC/XT systems what would cost me a month's rent

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That is one of the worst low level design diagrams I've ever seen that clearly had some level of effort put into it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Armacham posted:

Yeah I preorder and pick up in a drive thru sometimes, it rules

The greatest innovation of the 21st century has been me being able to just go to the weed store instead of trying to figure out if my buddy's stoner girlfriend is holding

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

do mainframes count as a cloud

They're often incomprehensible machines with virtual isolation (ie. a fog machine) and they live in someone else's datacenter, so yeah, mainframes count as a cloud.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't know where my copy of DOS For Dummies went, but I've got a second edition of the Indispensible PC Hardware Handbook somewhere in the giant box of irrelevant books, I know that for sure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

insta posted:

So we have CRD hiding here, what about vswitchzero? How many other YouTubers that I'm subbed to am I just ignoring posting alongside?

Scott Manley has been a goon for ages, still occasionally posts

if non youtuber famous people type goons count, rope kid is probably one of our most prolific ones in nerd spheres

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I wish I lived somewhere where it was easy to fill up my apartment with vintage computers. Somehow even Vancouver of all places has a dearth of working/minor repairs needed early 80s machines.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Killer robot posted:

I have a fair amount of free space and an attic now, which sparked me to get back into the hobby, but the years I spent in a small apartment did a real number on making me clear out old systems that were worthless curiosities then but can be expensive to replace now.

I've got a VAX under my desk that needs its power supply recapped and a Macintosh Classic II above it that... also needs a recap.

I'd like to get an XT with MDA and compatible monitor, but I can't seem to find any around here and I'm not going to pay eBay inflated prices to have one shipped and probably break in transit. Most likely I'll end up finding one in Seattle next spring and do a road trip for it. I wanted to secure one this year so I could put out an april fools joke for the OS development community in the form of a brand new from scratch Fourth Edition Unix for the 8088 but that didn't go as planned.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I feel like if you're building a new open source motherboard for vintage computing stuff you either need to go full on XT-class 8088 machine or at least commit to a 386DX/486 compatible chipset. I'm not sure if there's even a hobbyist-level market for a 386SX board otuside of maybe attempting to clone some esoteric system for a CNC machine that's been in use in some dusty factory for almost 40 years.

Like, let me assemble a clone XT board with a clone MDA board and a clone FDC board using a BOM and some CAD files from some dude's github repo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ymgve posted:

No 3.5 floppy drive, no sale.

No serial port either. Ain't worth it without a proper 16650 UART in it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bargearse posted:

Here’s the thing about Apple products.

They’re good.

My Classic II is the best writing machine I've ever owned even though the keyboard for it isn't as good as my PC's weirdo mechanical keyboard.

Apple knew their poo poo in the 80s through the early 90s.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

73 is ham radio code for "best regards".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it normal to end your messages with heil Hitler, best regards in the ham world? Or is it just these guys.

A quick google says that 88s in the ham world is the equivalent of signing off with XOXO, so I think you're diving a bit too deep into this one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Apparently last night I got drunk enough to buy a mostly-working IBM PS/2 Model 50 off eBay.

So I guess there's a weird MCA-based 286 machine in my posting-in-this-thread future.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So that would explain why the floppy controller isn't recognizing any drives on the PS/2 I bought.

Time to pick up some new 4.7uF 35V capacitors and replace the burnt-out husk of that tantalum (and probably the one next to it just to be safe).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

By popular demand posted:

that looks so frustrating and tedious to use, I hope speech recognition got good enough people don't really need this anymore.

It works pretty well, except sometimes it can't handle strong accents. You can see it in iPhone transcriptions of voicemails.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

The PDP-11 rack has two RL02 removable disk drives. I can't tell what that ~1U thing between the upper drive and the PDP-11 itself is, it looks like there's a little black display panel there?

I think it might just be a spacer -- in a couple of other (admittedly extremely low res) photos I could find of contemporary similar PDP-11/23 stacks, the same panel just says "DIGITAL" on it.

Similarly the box below the CPU/QBUS mounting box is probably a cover for the front of a power distribution unit, since DEC tended to sell those with them and they're the same height as an 11/23 QBUS enclosure. I'd need to get a look at the back to be sure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpFw-Mfido

If you're not subscribed to Usagi Electric, you should be. Dude repairs and restores old minicomputers and terminals for museum work and fiddles around with them, everything from DEC boxes to esoteric brands no one remembers in 2024.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's twice as much as a GDM-FW900 :stare:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When I was growing up we got a brand new state of the art 1996 Ford Explorer with a six disc CD changer that mounted into a recess in the center console. Absolutely mind-blowing as a kid. Disc 1 and 2 were permanently occupied by AC/DC Live at Donington, at my dad's insistence. We wore those discs to the bone over a decade or so.

The car sadly gave up the ghost just before I got my learners permit. Miss that beast.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

I remember there being at least one major artist-recorded scolding about piracy that was masquerading as the real song, but i couldn't find it quickly. I bet someone tossed it on youtube but it got flagged

Madonna did that for sure, I think Barenaked Ladies did as well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It was really crazy when a song really did have a weird noise in it and you're wondering if it's the song or someone edited it.

There's some kind of interference between a couple instruments towards the end of "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater that sounded exactly like the ringtone on my cell phone circa 2002.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Kompressor is M R CRACKER aka Crudbump aka HELLORBS aka DA SHARE ZONE aka Drew Toothpaste.

aka da share my wife z0ne

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Who were PIP TVs even for

My dad used it to watch something else while commercials were on whatever he was actively watching because he hated commercials that much.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It's just the OG Z80 line being discontinued, the eZ80 and other binary compatible versions are still being made.

Plus the Z80 is so commonplace and straightforward that if Zilog gave up the ghost right now there'd be a dozen companies ready to fab up pin-compatible eZ80 SoCs by Monday morning.

The ol' gal isn't going anywhere even if its parent kicks the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gromit posted:

I'm gonna do a Confirmed Bachelor run because I'm a ladies man who doesn't want to get tied down and want to game all the wasteland gals.

Fallout New Vegas: the official game of pegging all the enemy male leaders into submission