Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

My wife and I were talking the other night about how annoying it is to try and search through all the streaming services. We figure it's only another couple years before someone starts offering package services where you e.g. pick 6 streaming providers for $50/mo (cheaper than buying them separately at $11.99 each!) and maybe it provides some unified way to search across them all. Or maybe such a thing already exists and it's just not big yet?

roku lets you do a search across a bunch of services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Computer viking posted:

High monitor refresh rates feel notably nicer in fast games, but I assume the returns start diminishing somewhere. If I, a 38 year old spare time gamer playing ten year old games, can easily tell the inference between 60Hz and 144Hz, then there's at least room for differences on that scale to matter?

I imagine you'd want a mouse polling rate that's at least the same as your display refresh rate. Several times more would probably be good: if it's merely double, then presumably you'd risk some frames having one poll's worth of movement and the next having three. A 2000 Hz rate is pointless for reaction time, but at least you won't get any notable aliasing between the polling rate and the refresh rate. Assuming there's no mouse smoothing in effect, of course.

E: to be clear I don't know if this is a genuine issue or if it would be glossed over somewhere in the chain from sensor to rendered game graphics. But it's at least the sort of thing that I can imagine happening when you have two mostly independent clocks on similar frequencies interacting.

Mechanically-induced input lag on computers is long enough, and experiments control for it poorly enough, that literature benchmarks for human reaction times are now noticeably higher than they were before the advent of computer-based testing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

'hide extensions for known file types'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

My college roommates were engineers (computer and electrical, I think). They were looking over group work together for a class once and had the funniest exchange to me, an Eng Lang major.

"Hey, uh, you know So-and-So's part of this?"

'Is it bad? It's bad, right?'

"Well... Uh. Maybe I just don't get it, look at this -- he put 4 inverter symbols here. What does that make?"

'a... Wire? A line?'

Stacked NOT gates are an easy way to delay the signal! This is useful for doing things like edge detection, so you can trigger a circuit exactly once when someone presses a button.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Huh, I'm not an electrical engineer (like, at all), but I'd have assumed you'd do something funky with a capacitor for that. I guess stacking NOT gates is easier if they're a standard component you can just plonk in there?

they're a lot more predictable, and you generally don't want to mix analog and digital signals

technically there are also buffer chips which delay a signal and do nothing else, but why keep those in stock when you can just have a pile of not gates

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

Was Mega Bass, like, an actual thing that did something?

I think it was a sprite comic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Ordering "just the burger" could be construed as "just the patty, no bun" (as is sometimes ordered by Atkins dieters) so it makes sense that restaurants would make a practice of referring to the whole construction as the "sandwich", for clarity. :colbert:

At one point i tried ordering it as a plain burger instead of a combo and got something with no patty

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Star Man posted:

The IRS doesn't accept printed, photocopied, stamped, or electronic signatures on documents sent in by paper.

didn't they start doing that during covid?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

remembering the people freaking out that seven segment displays were show with all the lights active, and all those 8s in a row has to be a cryptic nazi code

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I want to turn one of those into a bento box.

:confused: but it's not pinku???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

What was the deal with MP3s that had random Windows and ICQ notification sounds throughout them? How does that even happen inadvertently? Were there people that were like "I really need to rip this sweet track, but I don't have a CD-ROM drive so I'll hold a mic up to a boombox in front of my PC"?

I have seen people who apparently meticulously do low bitrate screen recordings of whole seasons of already-pirated series they are streaming from elsewhere (leaving in clicking the play button and progress bar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to capcom guys who worked on megaman, including secrets like hidden items or metalman being one-hit by his own weapon was entirely bait for game magazine coverage.