Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

yogizh posted:

Cleaning a mouse.

would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
pssh i have a workig gamecube those things are damne near indestructable

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

simosimo posted:

I was stuck with Windows 95 for ages and thought these gradients were so cool. Then came along the blue XP bar.......

nah gently caress the default XP theme i always switched to classic right away. gradients 4 lyfe :c00l:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

win 2000 was the best os microsoft has ever made and will ever make

:colbert:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

What's wrong with XP other than its default UI?

iirc they were pretty much the same OS other than the default UI

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I have one coworker who, at every upgrade from XP to 10, the very first thing he does is change the UI and background back to the same gray bar/blue background it's been since '95.

It's me son jk i use osx these days :ohdear:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

drunk asian neighbor posted:

(Zen Xtra, 40GB, removeable battery which was awesome)

wow nice post. my mom still uses my zen xtra as her car audio source. she said it works just fine.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there's an array of digital blasphemy wallpapers everyone had at one point id try and find some but their site is all fucky now

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ehud posted:

oh man what about PC Gamer demo discs?

you 'd put it in and it was like a room loaded and you could click around and get options to install different game demos

hooooly poo poo i forgot about these nice pull

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sony can't help but gently caress up their stuff with weird proprietary reinventions of the wheel, it's in their nature. After seeing more old Japanese domestic market computers and some of the things in early Honda vehicles I'm wondering if it's just some sort of strange Japanese corporate/engineering culture thing.

it's a miracle they made a digital camera that used the regular 3.5in floppy instead of some new weird sony format

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought Windows XP was supposed to be better designed than 2000 for gaming or something. Maybe it's just that it had DirectX pre-installed or something :)

I don't remember exactly but I played PC games back then and dont ever recall having problems with 2000 or XP in that department

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
for the longest time there would be that ONE thing you needed in a pinch and had to go pay like 50% markup at radioshack

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
when i heard radioshack was closing i went to the nearest one and asked if i could have everything in the whole store for free and they said ok. so now i own like a dozen RC helicopters.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the first "songs" I had on a computer were MIDI files i dunno where i got them they were mostly movie themes like indiana jones and jurassic park mixed in with classical pieces

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

you were warned posted:

I was messing around with Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, and it turns out that some of the MIDIs I remembered were not from Windows itself, but from Sound Blaster 16. Have some reggae with a dancing weasel or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2CzS26u6k

ah I bet that is where I got mine as well. do sound cards still come with a bunch of weird rear end software or have they calmed down on the unnecessariness

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

I took a technology class in middle school circa 2002-3. Mostly we were supposed to be learning to type but didn't have an actual typing program, so we just typed ilthe assignments into the OS9 equivalent of notepad.

I usually copy-pasted my work, then proceeded to read textfiles about phreaking and hacking. Somewhat blissfully unaware that most of this stuff was likely long obsolete by that point.

There were also textfiles that were pretty much anarchist cookbook-lite. Ostensibly supposed to be pranks, most of that stuff probably would have gotten you into tons of legal trouble if you ever tried it. Probably not something I should have been exploring on a school computer a few years after Columbine. Have to wonder how the kids who spent all their time typing this poo poo up in the first place turned out.

I had to take a typing class in school that was similar but i knew how to type so instead I installed half-life and played on mute. Another kid noticed and wanted it by the end of the schoolyear we hd a pretty solid LAN deathmatch group going. Actually learned a lot that way. Teacher probably knew and just didnt give a fux

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

slidebite posted:

Literally have been using this joystick for almost 20 years, no joke. It's on top of my computer 2' away from me. I have a couple others as well (including a Thrustmaster Warthog) but I keep going back to it as my quick plug in and use joystick. It's actually pretty good and honest to god as close to indestructible as possible.

Sidewinder Precision Pro forever

I had one of these it was great. Microsoft made really good peripherals dunno if they still do

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the case to the full version looked a lot like that iirc it was paper/cardstock of some sort and opened up to reveal the plastic cd holder instead of a standard jewel case

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

blackmarketlimb posted:

Carmack is autism made flesh, but drat if he wasn't on the money where games were going.

I remember some Doom book where Romero tried to describe Carmack attempting normal human interaction and it was the funniest loving thing.

If anyone knows more about this story please post!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Were CAD licenses as obscenely expensive back then as they are now?

I have AutoCAD 2013 at work, not LT (I occasionally use the 3D to layout equipment, like showing where a cable tray was going to run through a plant, and make a 3D model of an install and then generate views using FLATSHOT command) but anyhow my understanding is it costs more than $13,000.

So that and other software running on my machine is worth nearly five times the cost of the machine itself.

they probably moved over to monthly subscription based model like adobe has with photoshop and microsoft wants to do with all their office poo poo.

a year of photoshop costs over $200. i dont think you can "buy" it anymore.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

you were warned posted:

Remember those radiation shields people used to put on CRT monitors? I didn't, either, until I came across this picture in a terrible real estate listing for a disgusting house:

Bonus speakers-on-monitor getup. Looks like someone used a digital camera manufactured around the same time as that beige beauty. It's a current listing, up for 180+ days--can't imagine why.

is that a radiation shield? it looks like a magnifier actually and that depressing dwelling looks like that of an elderly smoker who doesnt give a gently caress (american most def I would say)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
people used to be super into modifying their desktops. linux had lots of great stuff build into most WMs but windows.. eh we had to resort to using stuff like windowsblinds from stardock

[timg]http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/wb5-3[1].jpg[/timg]

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
has anyone posted leisure suit larry yet? i was too young to buy those games when they were popular (that might be a stretch of the word) but i remember somehow I acquired a demo to one but it was just adult humor that i didnt really get when i was really angling for some sweet sweet 32 bit nudity. i think it must have come on a PC Gamer demo disc.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i looked it up and here are some of the questions from the first one:

quote:

"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" was recorded by
c
Tiny Tim

"Where's the..."
c
beef?!

A nehru jacket is
b
out of date

Bourbon Street is in
d
New Orleans, Louisiana

Calvin Klein is
c
a clothing designer

Captain Kangaroo's sidekick was
d
Mr. Greenjeans

Charlie McArthy and
d
Edgar Bergen

Does a pair of queens beat 3 deuces?
a
Yes, in Blackjack

geez

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Kmlkmljkl posted:

yo did any of you guys have this thing? allows you to play gameboy games on your SNES. p cool

i did. thought it was fuckin awesome. reminds me kind of the weird Sonic & Knuckles cartridge where you could stick Sonic 3 in to add Knuckles or something ?

also one last videogame relic, mario paint for SNES was weird but fun*:

like wtf?

*for a child

thathonkey has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Jan 21, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
anybody else play the dig? (another lucas arts adventure game) -

it was fun when i was a kid. god i loved those adventure games by lucas arts.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Ive only ever had two hdd outright fail on me.
One was in a powerbook g4 which means it was either a hitachi or seagate i believe given the vintage). The other was a hitachi deskstar in one of my PCs. Lost a ton of important data in both cases.

I personally always had good luck with western digitals before the ssd era.

Unrelated story, when I was maybe 9 or 10 my family had bought our first proper home PC, a Micron running Win 95 iirc (0.75 gb of hdd space, i think 32mb of ram and prob like 100-200mhz processing power just going off memory):

You could alter an *.ini file to change the shell from explorer and I wanted to try geoshell. Well... It kinda sucked so when i went to switch back i accidentally saved it as "exporer.exe" which caused the system to kind of brick. I panicked because the os would no longer load.

I eventually found a boot recovery disc that let me get to a dos prompt and i was able to fix the typo. I felt pretty craft since this was before you could just look up how to do anything technical on your phone :c00lbert:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Oh come on, just boot in DOS and edit win.ini with edit.com. Or didn't the Windows 95 boot loader have the menu that let you choose between Windows, DOS, safe mode Windows, etc.? Or pop in the install disk... let me guess, you didn't have it, or installed from floppies. Sorry, speaking from my Windows 98 privilege

quote:

I eventually found a boot recovery disc that let me get to a dos prompt and i was able to fix the typo.

way to read my post idiot

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hhhat posted:

Here's some old poo poo I have

:corsair:

disk operating system nice

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Anyone play DOS Links golf from like 1991ish? I remember there was only two or three sound effects in the whole game and one of them was a guy going "looks like you hit the tree Jim" every time the ball hit a tree.

apparently they were still making games in the series as late as 2004

That looks extremely familiar with me and i wouldve been started to gently caress around with DOS around that era so im gonna go w yes i have played this

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Remember when wordperfect still competed with ms word

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
somebody posted it last page but I had forgotten all about Paint Shop Pro. haha what a piece of absolute garbage that software was. especially given that photoshop was around at the time.

but iirc it was a fraction of the cost. that only mattered if you were too stupid to :filez:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Are mouse trails still an option in the latest versions of Windows? Also remember when it was common to customize hour cursor set and the ridiculous nature of desktop theming in general (we've talked a bit about it so far itt)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I used to play this one MUD I wish I could remember the name of it... at least I think it was a MUD. It was like a text and story-based fantasy game but you could get equipment, move around a world, interact with NPCs. basically precursor to modern MMORPGs I guess? do I have that right?

If so, what were some of the most popular MUDs circa mid 90s

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

this was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid. it combined three of my favorite things at that age:

* star wars related...
* pc game...
* that's a first person shooter!

which reminds me the first thing that i ever purchased over the internet was related to this game. there was a level editor somebody had made but they were charging a somewhat low price for it. I think $20 in 1990s money (dunno why I bothered saying that that's only like $30 today). i finally convinced my dad to let me use his credit card to buy it and the next few months of my life were heaven. i was making my own levels and even assets. 2d level editors were a breeze to use.

i remember later on a 3d successor to this game came out that was in 3d and had lightsabers and poo poo. I tried to learn the level editor for it. i opened it up once, got really overwhelmed, and gave up then and there...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I miss just the base Battlefield 1942. It had a goofy lack of seriousness the modern ones don't, and you could sail around in battleships!

I have some really fond memories of playing this game with my friends. Great game

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
where i work they actually spend a lot of time doing usability tests on things but the tests are poorly designed by untrained or incompetent individuals so time spent there just means time wasted. they occasionally stumble onto something good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Outlook is still really good. The only thing it is missing is search capability and spam filter on par with Gmail but theyd need to be mining every users' mail to achieve the sophistication Google does there and I dont think they have the means or the will atm. Moving to a cloud sub based office would poise them to get better at stuff like that even if they cant match gmail :shrug:

PS. Sucks about Valve but what a great story