Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Really briefly around 1995 there were jewel cases that looked exactly the same as a CD case except that they held a floppy disk instead. Basically this was done so that crappy games that still came on a floppy could pretend to be on a CD and people wouldn't know until after they bought it because obviously the booklet obscured what was in the case. The little bit of writing on the back with the system requirements and so forth was a dead giveaway though.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
3D Movie Maker. I wasted so many hours on this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBCoaZn8FU

That was the version I'm used to that they released in North America and Aus but one of my friends from Britain said that in the version she grew up with that awful McZee character was Scottish. And, yeah looks like that's the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDrciWbEII

I have a vague memory of there being a Nickelodeon version too. I think I had a demo of it on one of those demo cds that came with Windows 95

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
anyone else remember sillyware.com? You could download small .exe things that were supposed to be funny like elf bowling, desktop toys and that thing that put christmas lights around the border of your windows 98 desktop. It also had lots of "silly" .mpeg files, like a video of some guy getting sucked into a jet engine.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

simosimo posted:

I remember Christmas lights.

I also remember Kill Sadam. You had little cartoon sadams running on your desktop and you could kill them with LMB anvils and rockets which would come from the left or right of the screen.

I also remember desktop killer (?) you had some tools to kill your desktop. You had a hammer, a machine gun, flame thrower,plasma gun, a stamp gun (I know) and a paint gun to ruin your desktop. This app basically applied 'destruction' sprites on your desktop, but it was so cool at the time.

I think there was a thing where you could bounce things off of your desktop with a spring and have them splat like bags of flour and raw chickens

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

this might be a repeat but still,

I was so happy when I first discovered you could set the monster on fire, but he always comes back

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

The Whole Internet posted:

Arguably the hardest level in Commander Keen 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfxYhfJl1dg

speedrunners skip 99% of the game, so you never get to see it

keen 4 or gtfo

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Sagan posted:

You can set it on FIRE??

Yeah, there was a certain way of going over jumps that made flames come out of your skis and set trees etc on fire. Anyway, I set the monster on fire jumping over it once and it reappeared about 5 minutes later

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Epic Pinball was great but I remember thinking most other Epic games were a bit ordinary. That said, I played the poo poo out of Jill of the Jungle.

A large portion of my childhood was spent on these two:

Slightly later, but The Neverhood had its moments.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I can't hate those lovely iMacs because they ended the 90's/early 00's trend of cream coloured electronics. The worst was when school computers had plastic that was both cream-coloured and had a frosted finish which accumulated grime and gradually became discoloured.

In the early 90's my school had these:

I thought they were the biggest pieces of crap growing up, partly because I had a 386 at home which made them look really bad by comparison because it didn't have a B&W monitor and it didn't need a "boot disk" just to loving turn on.

That said, I played the poo poo out of Granny's Garden on those things.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

And yet that Classic still looks futuristic, like a Porsche 928. Whereas your 386 (or mine) would make us dry heave to see it today.

Yeah, it was a gigantic tower with a turbo button type deal

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

simosimo posted:

I remember when I got a win 98 shell mod for WIN7. Good times. I miss the gradient blue toolbars.

I remember people perceiving those blue gradients as really cutting edge because Windows 95 only had flat colour toolbars. It's funny how much gradients featured in late 90's design generally. I guess actual textures used up too many resources or something.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
some of those screenshots reminded me of Stunts 4D Sports Driving
I don't know what made it 4D but whatever

It's aged a hell of a lot worse than 2D games from the same year but the level editor was the stuff of dreams

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Windows 1.0

Windows 3.1

Windows 95

moricons.dll

Windows 98

XP

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I found a couple of old game boxes while I was moving house
The Lemmings cover art is actually awesome:

When you open up the box, there's another box inside:

Which contains the game on both kinds of floppies and the manual:

Also found these two:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Anyone play DOS Links golf from like 1991ish? I remember there was only two or three sound effects in the whole game and one of them was a guy going "looks like you hit the tree Jim" every time the ball hit a tree.

apparently they were still making games in the series as late as 2004

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

I think it was Commander Keen, not sure which of the half a dozen iterations.

I've also seen other games with the white-on-blue Wordperfect 5.1 screen.

I got DOS and WordPerfect 5.1 in Computer Class at school. Not because I'm that old, but also because our school was cheap.

Pressing F9 in the later Keens (4, 5, 6) brought up a static image of a DOS prompt. Confused the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

Void Runner is a freeware arcade/action game
with fast and addictive gameplay. You can feel
the spirit of the maniacal old-style computer
arcades : run and jump over the abyss and traps,
and count on your reflections...
The game contains 9 levels with excellent 3D
graphics, accelerated via OpenGL.

Adbot